Japanese chipmaker Renesas Electronics is joining the rush to offer a hardware development platform for the Internet of Things (IoT).
Apple is said to be in talks with Renesas Electronics to buy its majority-owned joint venture that designs chips for smartphone displays.
Renesas Electronics' latest system-on-a-chip has eight ARM processing cores to help next-generation, in-car infotainment systems handle multiple streams of 1080p video and augmented reality apps.
ARM is promising close to 70 percent processor power savings with a new chip design called Big.Little, and mobile devices on display at the Mobile World Congress provided the first glimpse of how the technology works.
The mobile chipset market is in a state of flux with a number of key vendors struggling, but analysts say the result of the turmoil will be more advanced high-end smartphones and cheaper low-end devices.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Synology DS216+ Review
- Microsoft dials back Windows 10 upgrades to 2X a year
- No more passwords with Google's Trust API
- Spotify takes on Apple and Google with family plan
- How to go back to Windows 7 or 8 after an unwanted Windows 10 upgrade
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTProject Manager - Web ContentVIC
- CCIT Assistant (Office Automation/Windows) 160517/ITA/884Asia
- FTSystems EngineerACT
- CCProject SpecialistVIC
- FTInfrastructure Specialist VMwareNSW
- CCHR Systems Support OfficerACT
- CCSecurity Clearances Vetting Services OfficerACT
- CCData Engineer (Java, Scala, Scripting, Hadoop, Spark)NSW
- FTDynamics Project ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Systems AnalystSA
- CCOracle DBA | 3-6mth ContractVIC
- CCNetwork Technical ConsultantSA
- CCSystems Analyst (HTML/JAVA/Wireless & Mobile) 160525/SA/443Asia
- CCTest Analyst / Test LeadNSW
- FTSenior Full-Stack .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- FTFront End DeveloperACT
- FT.NET DevelopersQLD
- CCSnr Technology Analyst Disaster RecoveryVIC
- FTTechnical Specialist EmailACT
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- FTTechnical LeadNSW
- FTAgile CoachNSW
- CCSenior IT Security Specialist-SANS, ISC2, ISACA, ITILNSW
- CCNetwork Access Specialist - Telecommunications (Apply now)!!NSW