The leadership shakeup at Advanced Micro Devices continued on Monday with the company appointing Forrest Norrod, formerly from Dell, to run its server and custom chip businesses.
A Chinese company has developed the country's first homegrown servers, built entirely out of domestic technologies including a processor from local chip maker Loongson Technology.
If Hewlett-Packard's Moonshot server doesn't pan out, it won't be for lack of trying.
With smartphones and sensors putting more demand on servers and other back-end gear, chip design company ARM is introducing new interconnect technologies that will help shuttle the data around more quickly.
IBM will sell the semiconductor technologies unit that makes its Power processors to GlobalFoundries, paying the chip manufacturer about US$1.3 billion to take two factories off its hands in a move to save money.
Apple's iPad Air 2 is faster than its predecessors thanks to the A8X chip, which could pave the way for the company to put its homegrown silicon in large-screen tablets, TVs, cars and even laptops.
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. is putting a positive spin on China's investments aimed at making its chip industry a competitive, global powerhouse.
Advanced Micro Devices has a new CEO, Lisa Su, who will now try to stabilize a company that's attempting to diversify into new markets outside PCs and servers.
Just as graphics card makers like Nvidia found a secondary market for their wares as system-fortifying co-processors, Micron is plotting to sell booster computational elements based on its memory technologies.
Dell, not typically an early adopter of server technology, is still experimenting with systems based on ARM architecture while rival Hewlett-Packard has jumped ahead.
Microsoft's stripped-down version of Windows 8 is coming to the Intel Galileo Gen2 developer board.
AppliedMicro has announced a new family of 64-bit ARM chips that could disrupt the stodgy but sizeable market for components used in network routers, printers and other "embedded" equipment.
Chip design company, ARM, is stepping outside its area of expertise to release a new operating system that could play a big role in building out the Internet of Things.
After suffering a series of setbacks on the way to getting 64-bit ARM servers into the hands of users, company CEO Simon Segars prefers to take a fresh look at market opportunities instead of dwelling on the past.
Intel is investing 9 billion yuan (US$1.5 billion) in two Chinese chip companies with an eye to boosting its presence in the country's booming mobile phone market.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Frazzled or burnt out? You need downtime but where do you find it?
- SurveyMonkey: Pokémon Go popularity may have already peaked
- Report: Apple Car launch date slips back a year to 2021
- Pokémon Go and the demon-haunted world
- Gaming desktops with AMD Zen chips will be hard to come by this year
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTChange and Release ManagerVIC
- FTMobility Test AnalystNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerACT
- CCMessaging EngineerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/SQL) 160721/AP/624Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160801/AP/258Asia
- CCBusiness Analyst - Microsoft Active DirectoryNSW
- CCFMW DevelopersACT
- CCDesktop Engineer (SCCM/SOE)WA
- FTInfrastructure Technology Platform ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Business Intelligence Analyst - "Power BI"QLD
- CCData Analyst / Data ModelerNSW
- CCSenior Business Systems AnalystVIC
- CCMicrosoft Business Intelligence (BI) ConsultantNSW
- FTDefence Network EngineerACT
- CCProject Manager, Credit CardsNSW
- CCData Entry - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCSenior Systems SpecialistNSW
- CCAccounts Reconciliation Officer/ AdministratorNSW
- CCInformatica DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL/Web) 160719/P/741Asia
- FTNetwork Infrastructure SpecialistSA
- FTSolution Architect - Digital (Work From Home 2-3 Days)NSW
- FTProject ManagerVIC