The leadership shakeup at Advanced Micro Devices continued on Monday with the company appointing Forrest Norrod, formerly from Dell, to run its server and custom chip businesses.
A Chinese company has developed the country's first homegrown servers, built entirely out of domestic technologies including a processor from local chip maker Loongson Technology.
If Hewlett-Packard's Moonshot server doesn't pan out, it won't be for lack of trying.
With smartphones and sensors putting more demand on servers and other back-end gear, chip design company ARM is introducing new interconnect technologies that will help shuttle the data around more quickly.
IBM will sell the semiconductor technologies unit that makes its Power processors to GlobalFoundries, paying the chip manufacturer about US$1.3 billion to take two factories off its hands in a move to save money.
Apple's iPad Air 2 is faster than its predecessors thanks to the A8X chip, which could pave the way for the company to put its homegrown silicon in large-screen tablets, TVs, cars and even laptops.
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. is putting a positive spin on China's investments aimed at making its chip industry a competitive, global powerhouse.
Advanced Micro Devices has a new CEO, Lisa Su, who will now try to stabilize a company that's attempting to diversify into new markets outside PCs and servers.
Just as graphics card makers like Nvidia found a secondary market for their wares as system-fortifying co-processors, Micron is plotting to sell booster computational elements based on its memory technologies.
Dell, not typically an early adopter of server technology, is still experimenting with systems based on ARM architecture while rival Hewlett-Packard has jumped ahead.
Microsoft's stripped-down version of Windows 8 is coming to the Intel Galileo Gen2 developer board.
AppliedMicro has announced a new family of 64-bit ARM chips that could disrupt the stodgy but sizeable market for components used in network routers, printers and other "embedded" equipment.
Chip design company, ARM, is stepping outside its area of expertise to release a new operating system that could play a big role in building out the Internet of Things.
After suffering a series of setbacks on the way to getting 64-bit ARM servers into the hands of users, company CEO Simon Segars prefers to take a fresh look at market opportunities instead of dwelling on the past.
Intel is investing 9 billion yuan (US$1.5 billion) in two Chinese chip companies with an eye to boosting its presence in the country's booming mobile phone market.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Kogan Mobile upgrades to 4G network
- Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- MIT uses 4D maps to help robot teams navigate moving obstacles
- A new AMD licensing deal could create more x86 rivals for Intel
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCAnalyst Programmer (Lotus Notes/Networking) 160504/AP/781Asia
- FTSenior Project Manager - Payroll IntegrationVIC
- FTPMO AnalystNSW
- CCTransition Program ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCMessaging EngineerNSW
- FTSenior DBA / Team LeadVIC
- CCSolution ArchitectVIC
- CCJava Developer / DevOps | FINEOS Application | Long Term ContractNSW
- FTSenior Middleware Lead Shared Services (Support and EngineeringVIC
- CCSenior Implementation AnalystNSW
- CCSenior AGILE Business AnalystNSW
- CCContract Analyst/Programmer II (Drupal 7.39/PHP) 160427/CAP/vccAsia
- CCBusiness AnalystSA
- FTSenior Revenue Systems Functional AnalystSA
- CCInfrastructure Engineer - Windows, VMWare, HyperVWA
- CCFull Stack Developers - JavaNSW
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- FTAGILE Training Manager/CoachNSW
- FTProject Manager | Permanent role in Canberra | NV1/2 clearedACT
- CCIT Program Delivery Office Lead- Government BackgroundNSW
- FTDigital Sales Manager - Online MediaNSW
- CCBusiness Project ManagerAsia
- CCSCRUM MasterNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst- TreasuryNSW