Intel has bought its way into the tablet market, but success seems years away in smartphones, despite billions of dollars spent.
To push its mobile chips into the supply streams of more Chinese vendors, Intel is planning to invest up to $US1.6 billion over the next 15 years at a company semiconductor plant in Chengdu.
The processor architecture behind Apple's A7 and A8 chips is getting an incremental upgrade.
Advanced Micro Devices' interest in tablets has waned as the company restructures operations in an effort to turn around its finances.
Intel is shrinking PCs to thumb-sized "compute sticks" that will be out next year.
With advances in chip technology, it's becoming more difficult for Intel to keep up with Moore's Law, but the company's CEO says that remains the key baseline when it comes to adding performance and functionality to its processors.
Qualcomm wants to enter the server market, but it won't do it alone, and will tap expertise in China to build the low-power chips.
Intel will combine its PC and mobile processor divisions under one roof, reflecting a changing market in which the line between tablets and laptops has blurred.
Intel introduced its latest Xeon Phi chip Monday, in what seems to be an effort to prove that its supercomputing chips aren't just a flash in the pan.
Intel next year will start using light pulses to shuffle data at blistering speeds in supercomputers, which could lead to massive advances in high-performance computing
Nvidia's online game-streaming service will launch next week after a year-long beta testing period, but it will only be available to owners of the company's Shield tablet and handheld gaming console.
Open-source computers have so far lacked good graphics, but Gizmosphere's new Gizmo 2 is an exception.
Graphics is not yet a major consideration in wearables, but Imagination hopes to change that as part of a plan to put its new PowerVR graphics technology in a wide range of computing devices.
Chipmaker Qualcomm is facing regulatory investigations in the U.S. and Europe in addition to an ongoing anti-monopoly probe in China.
ARM, whose processors are used in most mobile devices today, is supercharging its latest Mali graphics technology to bring 4K graphics to tablets and smartphones, while also extending device battery life.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 2 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 3 LED Lenser P7R Professional Torch review
- 4 Aftershokz Wireless Trekz Titanium Bone Conduction Bluetooth Headphones review
- 5 Review: Periscope users rejoice with Feiyu’s G4 Plus 3-Axis Gimbal for Smartphone video
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Linksys EA9500 Max-Stream AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router review
- Paris motor show turns on to electric cars
- Israeli startup says its new software would have prevented Tesla hack
- Microsoft moves Cortana and Bing into Microsoft Research to accelerate new features
- Google Maps for Android adds 'OK Google' voice, navigation commands and other search tricks
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / Kronos)NSW
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/SQL) 160927/JP/551Asia
- FTTechnical Business Analyst | Marketing ServicesNSW
- CCDigital Solutions ManagerNSW
- FTCarrier/ Industrial Network ConsultantsWA
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCSolutions ArchitectACT
- FTCustomer Solutions Engineer | Voice | Data | TelcoNSW
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- FTNetApp Storage ConsultantWA
- CCiOS DeveloperNSW
- CCSecurity Cleared IT Professionals - Expression of InterestSA
- CCSenior Infrastrcture Project ManagerACT
- CCContract Web Developer (160915/WD/vmp)Asia
- CCContract Systems Analyst (IT Security) 160928/JP/653Asia
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- CCeCommerce Project ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerACT
- CCInformatica Developer (MDM)NSW
- FTTechnical Support Engineer | Cloud | Automation techsNSW
- CCVideo Conference Support Officer- VoIP, LAN, WAN, RemedyNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- CCNetwork and Security EngineerNSW