Tablets and smartphones will give a much-needed boost this year to the worldwide microprocessor market, which is undergoing a fundamental change with a shift to low-power processors used in energy-efficient devices, research firm IC Insights said.
The first mobile devices with Qualcomm's quad-core Snapdragon chip featuring an integrated modem will be shown off later this month, the company said on Monday.
Intel saw sales and profits drop in 2012, as the company was hit by a slide in demand for personal computers and its continued inability to make it big in the smartphone and tablet markets, but its data center business continued to grow.
The U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency and a consortium of top semiconductor companies are handing out US$194 million to universities for research that addresses the physical limitations of semiconductors and chips.
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. (TSMC) said its fourth quarter net profit increased by 31.6 percent year-over-year, with demand for its chips higher than originally projected.
Intel is taking the first steps to implement thin fiber optics that will use lasers and light as a faster way to move data inside computers, replacing the older and slower electrical wiring technology found in most computers today.
Facebook's Open Compute Project is being expanded to incorporate ARM processors, providing new options for companies shopping for low-cost hardware to build out cloud computing environments.
NXP Semiconductors is planning to cut 700 to 900 jobs as part of a reorganization to reduce costs of support services, the company said on Monday.
Kevin Lensing, director of AMD's Notebook Product Line, exuded a quiet confidence at a briefing at the 2013 CES show.
It's been a year since the introduction of the first Intel Inside handset, but the company's struggles to break into the smartphone market continue as rivals Nvidia and Qualcomm improved speed and power efficiency of ARM chips, which dominate that ma...
Samsung has announced its next Exynos processor for smartphones and tablets, an eight-core chip that uses a novel architecture to provide more performance without sucking up battery life.
Intel expects to see more innovation in PC design in the next year than there has been since the mid-1990s.
Intel has demonstrated its new processors that are expected to power Apple's new MacBook Pro and MacBook Air line-ups when they arrive later this year.
AMD is not interested in entering the low-cost tablet market and will rely on Windows 8 as it tries to find its bearings in the fast-growing tablet market, the company said.
As TV makers show off UltraHD TVs at CES, communications chip maker Broadcom is introducing the guts of future gateways that will be able to bring video for those sets into viewers' homes.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Severe vulnerability in Cisco's WebEx extension for Chrome leaves PCs open to easy attack
- Microsoft tries to expel Chromebooks from schools with Intune app and low-cost PCs
- If we show you how to back up your PC for free, will you finally do it?
- How to create Live Tiles for your Steam games in Windows
- Samsung sees 2016 profit jump despite Note 7 debacle
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTJunior Design Project CoordinatorQLD
- FTBusiness Development Manager - IT SolutionsNSW
- CCProject Manager - TelcoVIC
- FTBI Tech Lead l Informatica ETL , Microstrategy, Hadoop, Qlikiew, SalesforceNSW
- CCTechnical Business Analyst - Infrastructure - VirtualizationNSW
- TPSenior Project ManagerVIC
- CCOracle SQL DeveloperACT
- CCSenior Applications Project Manager - Office 365QLD
- FTLife/400 Testers - Permanent - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTFull Stack PHP DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst Finance & Lending - Brisbane Based RoleNSW
- FTSenior Linux Systems AdministratorNSW
- TPTechnical Business AnalystVIC
- FTPMO Coordinator - Permanent Opportunity!NSW
- FTLevel 2 Service DeskNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTPerformance Reporting AnalystNSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Finance ConsultantNSW
- CCPerformance AnalystVIC
- TPTest AnalystQLD
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsACT
- CCICT Contracts ManagerSA
- CCNetwork Security Specialist - Palo Alto Firewall ExpertVIC
- TPData AnalystVIC