Administrators who spent time this year retiring their last computers running Microsoft Windows XP might have another migration task ahead -- Microsoft is set to retire its Windows Server 2003 operating system next July.
Microsoft's Windows 10 is still in testing, but hardware makers can't wait for the day the OS replaces the controversial Windows 8.
When Microsoft released a critical update for multiple versions of Windows Server this month, it also pushed out a fix for several releases of the Windows client OS, including even the technical preview for Windows 10.
Apple has come out with a second beta of Mac OS X Yosemite for developers, but it's not clear whether this latest build will address the WiFi problems that continue to affect an undetermined but apparently substantial number of users.
Microsoft has added touchpad gestures, fine-tuned OneDrive syncing and revamped the feedback app in the latest build of Windows 10 Technical Preview, released Wednesday to testers on the OS's delivery fast track.
Apple has handed the first Mac OS X Yosemite update to developers for testing, and is reportedly asking them to focus on three areas, including Wi-Fi connectivity, which have been problematic for many users.
The newest enterprise edition of the Suse Linux distribution allows administrators to go back in time, for instance, to immediately before they made that fatal system-crippling mistake.
The cries for help from frazzled Mac owners whose Wi-Fi connections went haywire after upgrading to OS X Yosemite are being met by Apple with stone-faced silence.
Canonical continues to aggressively equip its flagship Ubuntu Linux server software with more tools to help users build and run clouds.
Microsoft is continuing its crusade to get CIOs interested in Windows 10, touting new security features that include two-factor authentication built directly into the OS.
Windows 10 Technical Preview testers are getting a new build of the OS with almost 7,000 changes, including the addition of the Action Center console already available in Windows Phone.
Complaints that Mac OS X Yosemite disrupts or entirely disables Wi-Fi have been flowing into social media sites and discussion forums since the release of the OS last Thursday, but Apple has yet to acknowledge there's a problem.
Apple is being called out for how it shares desktop and Web searches in its latest desktop operating system, Yosemite.
Apple desktop and laptop computers will play better with iPads and iPhones via new Continuity integration features on iOS 8.1 and MacOS X Yosemite, available free, starting Monday for iOS 8.1 and today for Yosemite.
Microsoft's stripped-down version of Windows 8 is coming to the Intel Galileo Gen2 developer board.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Ford Focus ST (2015) review: Absolutely mental styling, engine, handling
- 2 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
- 3 Playing chicken with a Tesla Model S
- 4 Audi TT (2015) review: A smarter take on the sports coupe
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Oracle preps 'Sonoma' chip for low-priced Sparc servers
- Researchers develop astonishing Web-based attack on a computer's DRAM
- Samsung plots Galaxy S6 price cut, new phones to help business
- As Windows 10 launches, Microsoft pushes for enterprise adoption
- Zuckerberg: Video today, virtual reality tomorrow
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTTechnical Sales Support Representative - The Worlds largest Search Engine!NSW
- FTAccount Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- CCInternal Communications ExecutiveNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- CCLead Generator - Software SolutionsNSW
- FTDesktop Engineering ManagerNSW
- FTDevOps Consultant - Microsoft Experience - Digital ConsultancyVIC
- CCAccount Strategist | Sales Executive | Global Search EngineNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager & Account ManagerVIC
- CCMarketing Coordinator - World's largest search engine!NSW