January was a busy month for open source software, with numerous packages receiving key updates and improvements. Since so many have been released in rapid-fire succession, now is a good time to take stock of what we've seen so far.
Google on Wednesday introduced a new Android Market Web store and said in-app purchasing is coming soon.
Dell has released two servers for the U.S. market that have been customized to run Ubuntu-based cloud services, the company announced Wednesday.
The open-source software development site SourceForge is speeding up its move to a new a security model following a targeted attack that may have compromised the passwords of its large user base.
IBM's LotusLive on-demand collaboration suite is getting a boost via integration with SugarCRM and Ariba's Discovery Service supplier database, the companies announced Thursday.
While all the world scrutinized the proposed "Do Not Track" feature for Mozilla's Firefox 4 on Monday, a tiny patch quietly emerged that promises to cut the open source browser's startup time in half on Windows.
The LibreOffice project came about late in 2010 when it became increasingly uncertain what Oracle's intentions were for OpenOffice.org, which it acquired after purchasing Sun.
Oracle has nominated Brazilian user group SouJava to fill the vacancy left by the Apache Software Foundation on the Java SE/EE executive committee.
IT professionals enjoyed a dramatically improved hiring landscape in 2010, marked in particular by the fewest job cuts in a year since 2000.
Version 7. 0 of the NetBeans open source IDE is due in April, featuring capabilities for Java SE 7, as well as faster deployment to the WebLogic Server application server, according to the NetBeans Oracle-sponsored website.
Oracle is limiting the development of Java by focusing the future development of the language on enterprise use, to the detriment of a wider, more diverse Java community, charged a pair of analysts at Forrester Research.
Protesting the secrecy of the deal, the Open Source Initiative and the Free Software Foundation have jointly asked the U.S. Department of Justice to investigate the purchase of more than 800 patents by a Microsoft-led consortium, CTPN Holdings.
"Froyo" and "Gingerbread" -- two delicious treats that Android smartphone users around the world crave -- are the latest versions of the Android mobile operating system. Both offer speed as their main selling point, but each has also come a long way ...
Details of Hewlett-Packard's new WebOS tablet have leaked out, and lots of people are gazing at its shininess and digesting technical details. But one thing appears to have been missed: Suggestions say that it will be the world's first true cloud tab...
Ubuntu 11.04 may just be one of the most widely -- and sometimes even anxiously -- anticipated releases yet of Canonical's popular open source operating system.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Surprise! Nvidia reveals a new Pascal-powered Titan X and it looks like an utter monster
- Apple faces lawsuit over AppleCare refurbished devices not being new
- Intel experiments with 3D Xpoint as it ships out SSDs to testers
- Edward Snowden has developed an iPhone case meant to kill surveillance
- Tesla wants to end fossil fuel use, make self-driving cars 10X safer
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCPractice Lead - Java, FrontendVIC
- FTMobility Test AnalystNSW
- FTProject ManagerVIC
- CCSAP BODS ConsultantNSW
- FTDesktop EngineerNSW
- CCPortfolio ManagerVIC
- CCContract IT Assistant (HTML/PC LAN/XML) 160711/ITA/692Asia
- CCBusiness Project ManagerVIC
- CCSolution Architect - Supply ChainNSW
- CCPre-Sales Consulting Business AnalystVIC
- CCChange Analysts - multiple rolesNSW
- CCTest Manager - Baseline SecurityVIC
- FTApplication Support AnalystSA
- CCSenior SAP BW & HANA Developer/Technical ArchitectVIC
- FTIT Helpdesk (Microsoft)NSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - End-User ComputingNSW
- FTDatabase DeveloperACT
- CCMac (iOS) Support Engineer - $30 p/h - Three Year ContractNSW
- CCContract IT Assistant (SQL/Windows) 160804/ITA/151Asia
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectVIC
- CCIOS DeveloperWA
- FTPortfolio Governance ConsultantNSW
- FTJava DeveloperVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst (ERP)NSW