Just months after dismissing the importance of mobile apps, Research in Motion could be jumping aboard the app bandwagon.
Reports out of Algeria say the North African country has shut down Internet access and eliminated Facebook accounts as pro-democracy protesters seek to topple the government much as Egyptians did in their nation this week.
Microsoft and Nokia both have a lot to lose - and gain - by their mobile alliance, with the Finnish handset maker deciding to adopt Windows Phone 7 as its smartphone operating system.
The head of Cisco Systems' consumer products business is leaving the company less than two years after he arrived with the acquisition of Flip camcorder maker Pure Digital Technologies.
The fast, high-capacity Wi-Fi that users have been enjoying for a few years in laptops is now due to hit smartphones and tablets in a big way, with two major Wi-Fi chip makers announcing products that use IEEE 802.11n with multiple antennas.
Despite efforts by Google, HP, Dell and others to grab center stage in recent weeks with tablet computer announcements, Apple and its market leading iPads remain the chief attention getters.
Israeli company Trusteer is taking its Rapport secure browsing technology into mobile security for the first time, announcing a smartphone and tablet protection system for businesses, Secure Web Access.
As large enterprises search for solutions to get the most out of their outsourcing vendors, many are turning to operational frameworks like Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) to improve the effectiveness of IT service delivery.
Cost-saving technologies remain a priority for IT in 2011 and virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI), with its ability to streamline operations, is one of the technologies at the top of the list.
Cisco beat analyst estimates with its second-quarter earnings, posting revenue of US$10.4 billion and earnings per share, excluding expenses, charges and other items, of $0.37.
Customers of data centre provider ControlCircle are being offered a free smartphone app that can alert them to serious issues such as ongoing DDoS attacks in real time.
Qualcomm plans to demonstrate a peer-to-peer wireless technology that will let devices form "neighborhood-area networks" at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona next week.
Nokia Siemens' Smart WLAN Connectivity Solution will free users from having to manually switch a device's data connection between Wi-Fi and cellular broadband, the company said on Tuesday.
For IT professionals and network industry vendors alike, the events of last week represent a game changer regarding IPv6, which was developed in 1998 but has scarcely been deployed.
The Motorola Xoom, the much anticipated Google Android 3.0-based tablet unveiled during CES last month, will sport a price tag of about $800 and be available on Feb. 24.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft's vision for LinkedIn is about tying its business data into Office and other services
- Facebook's Year in Review for 2016 isn't just fun and games
- AMD's Radeon Software Crimson ReLive debuts with features galore
- Intel, Microsoft renew 'Wintel' partnership with Project Evo and VR specs for PCs
- New Windows 10 Insider Build allows you to shut down your PC with your voice
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCTeam Lead / Senior Software Engineer - C/C++ / Web ServicesNSW
- FTIOS Developer (Permanent) Finance CBDNSW
- FTSecurity Delivery Manager l Security, Governance, Delivery & OperationNSW
- CCDevelopment Manager / Engineering Manager - Canberra RoleNSW
- FTLevel 1/2 Service Desk AnalystWA
- TPSenior Test AnalystQLD
- CCSoftware DeveloperNSW
- FTSolutions Architect - Data Centre/ NetworkVIC
- CCChange Manager (Workforce Management/HR/Rostering Solution)QLD
- CCHadoop DeveloperQLD
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- FTSystems Engineer - Managed Service ProviderVIC
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- FTLead Software EngineerQLD
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Automation TesterSA
- FTSenior Project EngineerNSW
- CCWeb Analytics Specialist | 6 month contractNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst **FIFO TO MONGOLIA**QLD
- FTSecurity Sales SpecialistVIC
- CCAPI DeveloperNSW
- FTService Delivery Management LeadQLD
- CCIteration Manager / Scrum MasterNSW
- FTSenior Technical LeadNSW
- CCApplication Specialist (Cerner) - Brisbane BasedNSW