Details have emerged about Intel's upcoming Medfield chip platform for smartphones, which is due for release in 2011 and will succeed the company's existing Moorestown platform, which was originally announced in May.
Intel expects the first phones based on its Moorestown platform to be available early next year, and tablet PCs before that, it said Wednesday.
Intel plans to talk about its future technology and product plans at Computex, but doesn't have any big surprises lined up for the Taiwanese hardware show, which opened Tuesday.
Intel has set its sights on the burgeoning tablet computing market with its latest Moorestown chips, which the company believes will help break rival Arm's dominant position in the handheld device market.
Intel is going after the tablet market for its low-power processors, including an upcoming Atom processor designed for mobile phones, the company said.
Intel on Thursday showed the first smartphone based on its upcoming Moorestown platform for mobile devices.
Intel has made a number of power-saving enhancements to its Atom architecture that will be included in its upcoming Moorestown platform for smartphones, a company official said on Monday.
Anand Chandrasekher, the senior vice president of Intel's ultra mobility group, showed off a handful of sleek prototype mobile devices containing its upcoming Moorestown platform at the Computex exhibition in Taipei on Thursday.
Intel revealed more details about the future launch of its Moorestown chip platform at the Intel Developer Forum in Beijing on Wednesday, setting the target launch date at a firm 2010.
Putting Intel's Moorestown chip package inside a future version of the iPhone would make the smart phone less secure, according to an independent security researcher.
Intel and Ericsson Monday announced plans to team up in an effort to bring High Speed Packet Access to increasingly popular Mobile Internet Devices.
Intel on Wednesday said its next low-power chip for mobile phones is being readied for sampling -- progress for the chip maker that has big plans in the mobile space.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Review: Periscope users rejoice with Feiyu’s G4 Plus 3-Axis Gimbal for Smartphone video
- How to find the cheapest flights
- Why is Australian internet tech support so terrible?
- How Google Translate helped me with the woman who pummelled my buttocks
- 60 turns with Civilization VI: 3 key tweaks will change how you conquer the world
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCTechnology DeveloperVIC
- CCProject Manager | Experimental military technology | NV1ACT
- FTStorage ConsultantACT
- FTJava DeveloperAsia
- CCLead Communications ConsultantWA
- FTData Center Operator (1-Year Renewal Contract)Asia
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160621/P/866Asia
- CCBusiness System Analyst - FinanceVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst - Clinical SystemsSA
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- CCImplementation ManagerNSW
- CCSAP ABAP - Senior developerVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle) 160704/AP/601Asia
- FTIT Project Coordinator- Data Center Infrastructure backgroundNSW
- CCField Network Engineer - GSM Networks.VIC
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- FTSoftware Services Team LeaderNSW
- CCSharepoint Developer | Air Force project | NV1 clearanceNSW
- CCProject Manager - IT SecurityNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst- BPMN, Testing backgroundNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Oracle Financials (Procure To Pay)NSW
- CCProject/ Program AnalystVIC
- CCSenior IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160630/SITA/642Asia
- CCSAP PI/PO ConsultantVIC
- CCSenior Java DeveloperACT