Microsoft's Surface RT tablet sold 1 million units in the fourth quarter, fewer than expected, according to a UBS analyst.
Sales of Samsung's two Galaxy S smartphones have topped 100 million since the first version sold in May 2010, the company reported via its Flickr page.
The reported slow early sales of Microsoft's Surface RT tablet has raised a question among IT analysts -- does Microsoft truly want to produce boffo sales of the new device?
Smartphone shipments to retailers worldwide this year are expected to total 717 million, 45% more than shipped in 2011, IDC said Tuesday.
Soaring iPhone 5 sales in the U.S. have helped make iOS the top smartphone operating system in the country, edging out Android, according to market research firm Kantar Worldpanel ComTech.
The combination smartphone-tablet Samsung Galaxy Note II has proven more popular than analysts had expected.
Nokia dropped to seventh place in the global smartphone market in the third quarter, as Samsung and Apple controlled 46.5 per cent of the market, according to Gartner.
Respondents largely opted for tablets over PCs in a survey asking which computer they had on their holiday wish list.
Gartner report that 1.2 billion smart devices will be purchased in 2013, breaking the 1 billion mark for the first time.
Microsoft has confirmed what many had suspected, that it didn't offer a 16GB Surface RT tablet because there would have been virtually no room for customer content on the device.
Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer claims Windows Phone will grow quickly in the global smartphone market.
Samsung's Galaxy S III smartphone hit the 30 million sales mark in the five months since it became available, according to a Samsung blog post today.
The new 7.9-in. iPad mini will be a huge hit with business users as well as consumers, according to several industry analysts.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 2 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 3 Parrot Mambo Drone review
- 4 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 5 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Hands-on: Microsoft's Surface Studio is a Windows PC for the Mac crowd
- Renewable energy represented more than half of all new power capacity in '15
- Apple postpones the AirPods release date to ???
- Microsoft quietly unveils a Surface mouse and desktop keyboards for Surface Studio
- Microsoft's Surface Book i7 doubles the GPU performance of its predecessor
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- TV buying guide: What to look for when buying a TV in 2016
- Best iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus plans: Optus vs Telstra vs Vodafone vs Virgin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTApplications ManagerVIC
- FTFrontend DeveloperNSW
- CCIT Project CoordinatorNSW
- CCTivoli Access Manager DeveloperNSW
- FTBusiness Systems Analyst | Travel IndustryQLD
- CCData Warehousing /Business Intelligence DeveloperACT
- FTIT Systems ManagerNSW
- CCSharePoint / Office365 DeveloperWA
- CCSenior C# .Net EngineerNSW
- FTPortfolio ManagerVIC
- CCNetwork DesignerVIC
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Solution Architect (Permanent and/or Contract Option)QLD
- CCSenior Front End DeveloperVIC
- CCTechnical Project CoordinatorNSW
- CCSenior IT Project ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Project Manager (Marketing Automation)NSW
- CCSoftware Engineer- Linux and DevOpsNSW
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/SQL) 161019/JP/552Asia
- TPiOS Developer | Tech Start-UpNSW
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- TPProject Manager - ApplicationsQLD
- FTSenior MS Dynamics CRM ConsultantQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Telco - Melbourne CBDVIC
- FTDynamics CRM DeveloperSA
- CCTest Engineer - .NETNSW