Microsoft's Surface RT tablet sold 1 million units in the fourth quarter, fewer than expected, according to a UBS analyst.
Sales of Samsung's two Galaxy S smartphones have topped 100 million since the first version sold in May 2010, the company reported via its Flickr page.
The reported slow early sales of Microsoft's Surface RT tablet has raised a question among IT analysts -- does Microsoft truly want to produce boffo sales of the new device?
Smartphone shipments to retailers worldwide this year are expected to total 717 million, 45% more than shipped in 2011, IDC said Tuesday.
Soaring iPhone 5 sales in the U.S. have helped make iOS the top smartphone operating system in the country, edging out Android, according to market research firm Kantar Worldpanel ComTech.
The combination smartphone-tablet Samsung Galaxy Note II has proven more popular than analysts had expected.
Nokia dropped to seventh place in the global smartphone market in the third quarter, as Samsung and Apple controlled 46.5 per cent of the market, according to Gartner.
Respondents largely opted for tablets over PCs in a survey asking which computer they had on their holiday wish list.
Gartner report that 1.2 billion smart devices will be purchased in 2013, breaking the 1 billion mark for the first time.
Microsoft has confirmed what many had suspected, that it didn't offer a 16GB Surface RT tablet because there would have been virtually no room for customer content on the device.
Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer claims Windows Phone will grow quickly in the global smartphone market.
Samsung's Galaxy S III smartphone hit the 30 million sales mark in the five months since it became available, according to a Samsung blog post today.
The new 7.9-in. iPad mini will be a huge hit with business users as well as consumers, according to several industry analysts.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Kogan Mobile upgrades to 4G network
- Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- MIT uses 4D maps to help robot teams navigate moving obstacles
- A new AMD licensing deal could create more x86 rivals for Intel
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCEnterprise Architect (Security)NSW
- CCAdobe Experience Manager AEM / CQ5 DeveloperNSW
- FTTrading System QAAsia
- CCMicrosoft Server EngineerWA
- FTSenior Business Intelligence ManagerNSW
- CCTest Analyst - Contact Centre TechnologiesVIC
- CCSolution ArchitectACT
- CCSharepoint DeveloperVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Prince2 & PMBoK shop | Huge project pipelineACT
- CCSiebel AnalystACT
- CCBusiness Project ManagerAsia
- CCSenior DevOps ConsultantVIC
- CCApplication Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCDigital Project ManagerNSW
- FTInfrastructure Project ManagerACT
- CCSenior Project Manager, Technology Upgrade & RefreshNSW
- FTSenior iOS DeveloperNSW
- CCTechnical ExpertVIC
- CCInfrastructure Engineer - Windows, VMWare, HyperVWA
- FTNetwork ConsultantNSW
- CCServiceNow / SACM ConsultantNSW
- CCJava Developer - multiple opportunitiesNSW
- CCIntegration Delivery Project ManagerNSW
- CCSql Server Database Administrator (SAP)QLD