Microsoft's Surface RT tablet sold 1 million units in the fourth quarter, fewer than expected, according to a UBS analyst.
Sales of Samsung's two Galaxy S smartphones have topped 100 million since the first version sold in May 2010, the company reported via its Flickr page.
The reported slow early sales of Microsoft's Surface RT tablet has raised a question among IT analysts -- does Microsoft truly want to produce boffo sales of the new device?
Smartphone shipments to retailers worldwide this year are expected to total 717 million, 45% more than shipped in 2011, IDC said Tuesday.
Soaring iPhone 5 sales in the U.S. have helped make iOS the top smartphone operating system in the country, edging out Android, according to market research firm Kantar Worldpanel ComTech.
The combination smartphone-tablet Samsung Galaxy Note II has proven more popular than analysts had expected.
Nokia dropped to seventh place in the global smartphone market in the third quarter, as Samsung and Apple controlled 46.5 per cent of the market, according to Gartner.
Respondents largely opted for tablets over PCs in a survey asking which computer they had on their holiday wish list.
Gartner report that 1.2 billion smart devices will be purchased in 2013, breaking the 1 billion mark for the first time.
Microsoft has confirmed what many had suspected, that it didn't offer a 16GB Surface RT tablet because there would have been virtually no room for customer content on the device.
Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer claims Windows Phone will grow quickly in the global smartphone market.
Samsung's Galaxy S III smartphone hit the 30 million sales mark in the five months since it became available, according to a Samsung blog post today.
The new 7.9-in. iPad mini will be a huge hit with business users as well as consumers, according to several industry analysts.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Report: Microsoft could debut Xbox One game streaming stick and 'Xbox TV' at E3
- This sticker can wirelessly charge your smartphone or tablet
- Microsoft breaks own design rules in dupe-the-user Windows 10 upgrade tactic
- Samsung isn't giving up on Android Wear, it's just not making any new Android Wear watches
- Google quietly kills its Nexus Player as Chromecast overshadows Android TV
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCProgram Business Implementation Director- HR Payroll, FINSW
- FTGeospatial Support AnalystQLD
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160526/AP/506Asia
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Contributions TaxNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCAccess Control Administration / Help desk OperatorACT
- CCDigital Business Analyst (iOS & Android / Web Projects)NSW
- CCEnd to End Project Manager - PMO and GovernanceVIC
- CCTransition Project ManagerNSW
- CCIT Assistant (Office Automation/Windows) 160517/ITA/884Asia
- CCTechnical Digital Producer / Requirements EngineerNSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle/SQL*PLUS) 160519/AP/432Asia
- FTSystems EngineerACT
- CCOracle DBA | 3-6mth ContractVIC
- CCTechnical Specialist - IP Network Design - Juniper MXNSW
- CCTechnical WriterNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst or Information AnalystNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.NET C#/MS ASP .NET) 160526/AP/263Asia
- CCICT Contracts and Procurement SpecialistACT
- CCSr. Windows Server Administrator- Financial Institution BckgNSW
- FTSenior Business Analysts - Payments or Disaster RecoveryVIC
- CCBI/Information/Data/Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCBig Data DeveloperWA
- FTSolution ArchitectACT
- CCProgram Business AnalystVIC