Chinese vendors tripled shipments year-on-year in the second quarter in the Indian market, indicating that low-cost vendors are posing a challenge to global players like Apple in a very price-sensitive market.
Indian smartphone manufacturer Micromax and Xiaomi from China have given the low-end segment a shake up with their latest products, and even if the devices don't go on sale around the world, their launches will likely be felt globally.
Samsung Electronics led the Indian smartphone market with a 22 percent share last quarter, while global rival Apple didn't even make the top five in this price-sensitive market.
Samsung Electronics has lost its top position in the Indian smartphone market to local player Micromax, according to research firm Canalys, but the South Korean company is contesting the figures.
Three Indian vendors have launched smartphones based on a Google reference design starting at 6399 Indian rupees (US$105) without operator subsidy, in a bid to grab a share of a growing but competitive segment of the country's smartphone market.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 802.11ac Wi-Fi gear driving strong WLAN equipment sales
- Microsoft declares 350M devices now on Windows 10
- Facebook chooses friends and family over celebrities in your feed, which is probably healthy
- Florida man sues Apple for $10 billion for 'stealing' his iPhone invention from 1992
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSenior Applications SpecialistQLD
- CCProgram Test ManagerNSW
- CCOracle iLearning Business AnalystNSW
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- FTCitrix SpecialistACT
- CCInfrastructure ArchitectACT
- CCRelease & Configuration Manager | Defence intelligence application | NV1 clearedACT
- CCPMO ManagerVIC
- CCMedia AnalystNSW
- FTMid-Level .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior IT Automated TesterNSW
- CCBusiness System Analyst - FinanceVIC
- CCIntegration ArchitectACT
- FTLead Tableau Reporting ConsultantNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle) 160704/AP/601Asia
- CCSecurity Engineer - SUMO focusNSW
- CCDynamics CRM DeveloperNSW
- CCSAP PI/PO ConsultantVIC
- CCSharePoint AdministratorNSW
- FT.Net Developer (WebAPI / Entity Framework / SQL Server)NSW
- CCSystems Administrator with developer skills | Defence intelligence | NV2 clearedACT
- CCLinux Systems AdministratorQLD
- CCContract IT Assistant (IT Security/IT Audit) 160621/ITA/361Asia
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- CCAgile Product Manager/ UX, Web, Digital Project ManagerNSW