Staff cuts at Lenovo and HTC, a failed patch from Google, and Samsung's latest flagship smartphones all highlight how tricky selling Android smartphones has become.
Many smart phone manufacturers preload remote support tools on their Android devices in an insecure way, providing a method for hackers to take control of the devices through rogue apps or even SMS messages.
Google's started a car company...Samsung puts $85 million into cancer-victim fund...Apple explores offering phone service...and more tech news.
Huawei Technologies' shift to selling high-end smartphones is paying off. The more expensive devices helped almost double the company's handset revenue in this year's first half.
Chinese networking giant Huawei has bought the software-defined networking (SDN) division of Irish telecom software maker Amartus.
Too many Android phones are running old software with security flaws, according to Dutch consumer association Consumentenbond, which wants manufacturers to update their phones' software more often, and for longer.
Huawei isn't a name that's easy to pronounce. Nor has it been free of controversy. In 2012, U.S. politicians called the Chinese company a potential security threat.
The future doesn't look very bright right now for alternative mobile operating systems Firefox OS, Tizen and Ubuntu.
Prototype of HP's Machine due next year
In yet another testament of the awful state of home router security, a group of security researchers uncovered more than 60 vulnerabilities in 22 router models from different vendors, most of which were distributed by ISPs to customers.
Sales of Android smartphones were up in the first quarter but its share of the market fell, while that of iOS grew for the third consecutive quarter.
Senators block vote to extend NSA powers... healthcare hack hits 1.1 million victims... Apple fixes security flaws in Watch... and more tech news.
China's Huawei Technologies is targeting smart homes, cars, wearables and more with its own operating system, Liteos, intended for the international market.
Xiaomi led China's smartphone market as its biggest vendor for the third straight quarter. But Apple is closing in, thanks to demand for its iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, and may even overtake Xiaomi this year.
Past political trouble in the U.S. isn't stopping Huawei Technologies from selling its enterprise services in the country.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 2 LED Lenser P7R Professional Torch review
- 3 Aftershokz Wireless Trekz Titanium Bone Conduction Bluetooth Headphones review
- 4 Review: Periscope users rejoice with Feiyu’s G4 Plus 3-Axis Gimbal for Smartphone video
- 5 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Parrot Mambo Drone review
- Logitech K780 Wireless Keyboard review: One fantastic keyboard for your computer, phone, and tablet
- Microsoft confirms Windows 10 adoption slowdown
- Sonos comes to the Apple store, but what does that mean for Beats speakers?
- Microsoft-Nissan partnership treats cars like PCs
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSenior Infrastrcture Project ManagerACT
- CCWAN Architect and ConsultantWA
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCTechnical Architect/DesignerACT
- CCService Desk analystSA
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- FTNetApp Storage ConsultantWA
- CCBusiness Analyst with change management experienceACT
- FTEMC Storage ConsultantWA
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- CCNetwork and Security EngineerNSW
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Telecom ProjectNSW
- FTNetwork and Security Design EngineerNSW
- CCSolutions ArchitectACT
- CCData Analyst | Data Feeds | Catalogue and MapNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/SQL) 160927/JP/551Asia
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- FTDesktop/Application SupportVIC
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager | TelecommunicationVIC
- CCVideo Conference Support Officer- VoIP, LAN, WAN, RemedyNSW
- CCInformatica Developer (MDM)NSW