Staff cuts at Lenovo and HTC, a failed patch from Google, and Samsung's latest flagship smartphones all highlight how tricky selling Android smartphones has become.
Many smart phone manufacturers preload remote support tools on their Android devices in an insecure way, providing a method for hackers to take control of the devices through rogue apps or even SMS messages.
Google's started a car company...Samsung puts $85 million into cancer-victim fund...Apple explores offering phone service...and more tech news.
Huawei Technologies' shift to selling high-end smartphones is paying off. The more expensive devices helped almost double the company's handset revenue in this year's first half.
Chinese networking giant Huawei has bought the software-defined networking (SDN) division of Irish telecom software maker Amartus.
Too many Android phones are running old software with security flaws, according to Dutch consumer association Consumentenbond, which wants manufacturers to update their phones' software more often, and for longer.
Huawei isn't a name that's easy to pronounce. Nor has it been free of controversy. In 2012, U.S. politicians called the Chinese company a potential security threat.
The future doesn't look very bright right now for alternative mobile operating systems Firefox OS, Tizen and Ubuntu.
Prototype of HP's Machine due next year
In yet another testament of the awful state of home router security, a group of security researchers uncovered more than 60 vulnerabilities in 22 router models from different vendors, most of which were distributed by ISPs to customers.
Sales of Android smartphones were up in the first quarter but its share of the market fell, while that of iOS grew for the third consecutive quarter.
Senators block vote to extend NSA powers... healthcare hack hits 1.1 million victims... Apple fixes security flaws in Watch... and more tech news.
China's Huawei Technologies is targeting smart homes, cars, wearables and more with its own operating system, Liteos, intended for the international market.
Xiaomi led China's smartphone market as its biggest vendor for the third straight quarter. But Apple is closing in, thanks to demand for its iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, and may even overtake Xiaomi this year.
Past political trouble in the U.S. isn't stopping Huawei Technologies from selling its enterprise services in the country.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Dash cam review: The Garmin Dash Cam 35 is a little bigger and better for the price
- Dash cam review: The Cobra CDR895D Drive HD offers affordable dual-channel video
- Dash cam review: The Thinkware F770 works with your smartphone
- Dash cam review: Garmin's DriveAssist 50LMT is first-class almost all the way
- Dash cam review: The Viofo A119 is a surprisingly good bargain
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBrand Marketing Manager - Premium Entertainment BrandNSW
- TPTechnical Solutions Architect-Dynamics CRMVIC
- CCTechnical Business Analyst-DevOpsNSW
- CCService Desk Consultant-Baseline Clearance RequiredNSW
- CCBiztalk DeveloperVIC
- FTTechnical Business AnalystVIC
- CCProcess Business Analyst X 3VIC
- CCProgram Support OfficerNSW
- FTSystems AnalystSA
- CCInfrastructure Architect - Migration Project -Hyper-V & VMWareNSW
- FTManager Integration PlanningNSW
- CCSenior C++ Software EngineerWA
- FTTechnical ExpertNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Developer - Appian/PegaVIC
- FTJava DeveloperSA
- TPSenior Test Analyst - TAFEQLD
- FTFunctional ConsultantNSW
- FTSystems Engineer l Citrix NetScalerNSW
- FTSystems AdministratorVIC
- FTService Delivery Manager - EnterpriseACT
- CCNetwork EngineerVIC
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- FTSecurity Incident / SOC Analyst (Tier 1) - Permanent - North Ryde BasedNSW
- CCMicrosoft Active Directory ArchitectACT