To better anticipate the next Sandy-size hurricane, the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is upgrading the supercomputers it uses for predicting the weather.
Once a seething cauldron of competition, the twice-yearly Top500 listing of the world's most powerful supercomputers has grown nearly stagnant of late.
Japan has chosen Fujitsu to help it regain the top spot in the global supercomputer race with an exascale machine, which at 1000 petaflops would be about 30 times faster than the leading supercomputer today.
Cray has added more horsepower to its latest supercomputer, the XC40, and already has scored some big-time customers.
Oracle has made it possible to run a much older but still widely used version of its database software on Exadata, in a move that could make heretofore reluctant buyers pull the trigger on a purchase of the data-processing appliance.
Atos's offer to acquire servers and services specialist Bull has been approved, making it possible for the company to beef up its security and cloud computing offerings.
The world's fastest computer is facing a challenge from Fujitsu, which is developing a new high-performance chip that could go into supercomputers up to three times faster.
The U.S. State Department's main computer system for processing passport and visa applications crashed earlier this week leading to global delays for travel documents.
Stepping up its efforts to regain supercomputing dominance from China, the U.S. within the next two years will activate what could be one of the world's fastest computers.
China's nagging pollution problems could start to abate with the help of an IBM project that seeks to predict and control the air quality in Beijing, using new computing technologies.
Supercomputer vendor Cray is trying to make the Lustre file system easier to work with, allowing users to copy material from the file system into a multilayered storage archiving system.
China continues to dominate the high end of the Top500 list of the world's most powerful supercomputers, even as the growth of the computing power on the list seems to be stagnating.
Unisys is phasing out its decades-old mainframe processor, which lags behind in speed and scalability compared to newer chips.
Fujitsu has developed a circuit that could double data rates between CPUs in servers and supercomputers
Hewlett-Packard has entered the market for supercomputers with a new Apollo family of systems, including a high-end machine that has a novel water-based system to keep it cool.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- 10 things you need to know about Intel's crazy 10-core Broadwell-E CPU
- Ballistix demonstrates first NVMe drive performance at Computex
- Computex: SSD makers who don't make U.2 SSDs say U.2 is 'dead on arrival' but motherboard maker shows otherwise
- 100 illuminated Intel drones to perform at Vivid Sydney
- Intel beefs up VR ammo with Extreme Edition Core i7 chips
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTManaging Security ConsultantQLD
- CCPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- CCFront end and Full Stack DevelopersNSW
- CCSenior Sharepoint DeveloperACT
- CCTechnical Business Analyst, SuperannuationNSW
- FTSenior Developer (.Net)SA
- CCDigital Media / Web Content Management- SquizzNSW
- FTScrum MasterVIC
- CCOffice 365 Systems EngineerNSW
- CCProject Manager PMP RMP certified - NV1ACT
- FTSenior Programmer (Data Engineering)NSW
- CCProject SpecialistVIC
- FTRelease Planning LeadVIC
- CCService Desk ConsultantACT
- CCBI/Information/Data/Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCSQL DeveloperNSW
- CCSolutions Architect - Enterprise ApplicationsNSW
- CCOracle Applications Team LeadNSW
- FTSenior Java Developer / Technical LeadACT
- FTData & Analytics Technology Platform ManagerVIC
- FTInfrastructure Specialist - Sec Ops Network & OSAsia
- FTTest Capability ManagerVIC
- CCSAP Test AnalystACT
- CCSenior Programmer (Data Engineering)NSW
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW