Groupon has dropped trademark applications that sought to use the "Gnome" name for a point-of-sale tablet it released in May, clashing with the open-source software group of the same name.
The Gnome Foundation is claiming Groupon has infringed on its trademark and is seeking financial and community support to finance its fight.
Though earnings from some tech vendors brightened up a week of tepid market reports, shares of IT companies broadly declined Friday along with the rest of the market.
While mobile payments transform financial life in many less developed countries, retailers and payment providers in the U.S. and Europe are still trying to find the right incentives to drive adoption.
Groupon has acquired MashLogic, a company based in California that makes a simple tool called Britely to capture and collate bits of information from web pages.
China's group buying market continues to shrink, with the number of players in operation declining by close to 1,000 sites over the past year.
Zynga's Mark Pincus made the annual "Worst CEOs" list compiled by Dartmouth College professor Sydney Finkelstein, which also nearly included Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook and Andrew Mason of Groupon.
Zynga's initial public offering Friday, a raft of acquisition announcements this week from IBM, Salesforce and others, and some upbeat reports on the chip and hardware sector are putting a positive spin on year-end news for the tech sector.
Yelp, a local business reviews site, filed Thursday with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission for an initial public offering (IPO) of up to US$100 million.
Nearly all of China's over 5,000 group buying sites will eventually go under as tough competition and diminishing cash reserves force them to fold, according to the CEOs of two leading group buying sites in the country.
Groupon's China venture posted a net loss of US$46.4 million for the past nine months, generating only $2.1 million in revenue as it fights to gain dominance in the country's highly competitive group buying market.
Less than a year after it acquired popular Indian shopping deals site SoSasta.com, Groupon is changing the name of the site to Crazeal.com, and plans to focus on deals from premium merchants in each category.
Groupon's COO has quit after just five months and decided to return to her former employer, Google, Groupon said on Friday.
Groupon's problems in China, including a recent round of staff layoffs, have come as no surprise to analysts, who hold that the company rushed its plans in the country and relied too much on foreign expertise.
The user database of Groupon's Indian subsidiary, SoSasta, was published on the Internet and indexed by Google, according to an Australian security consultant.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- AC5300 Router reviews: Linksys EA9500 vs. Netgear Nighthawk X8 vs. D-Link DIR-895L
- Dell Inspiron 17 7778 review: This massive 17-inch 2-in-1 is a worthwhile desktop replacement
- Try this! 6 new Android 7.0 Nougat features to use now
- Spotify is retaliating against artists with Apple Music exclusives
- Artificial Intelligence: 7 factors for precision decisions
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSecurity ArchitectACT
- CCMS Access DeveloperNSW
- FTIT Manager - Infrastructure Strategy and OperationsNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/XML) 160818/P/872Asia
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- FTDigital Product Owner | Advertising Technology | SearchNSW
- CCProject Manager - PCI DSS / IMACSQLD
- CCInfrastructure Deployment ManagerVIC
- CCSolutions Architect - Office 365/Sharepoint/Project OnlineQLD
- CCProgram Director, Cyber Security TransformationNSW
- CCDevOps Engineer - Php, LAMP, XML, scripting, JavaNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160822/AP/259Asia
- CCSenior Process Analyst - WealthVIC
- CCETL DeveloperACT
- CCTechnical WriterACT
- CCIT Program Manager - TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Data Management/Web) 160818/SA/602Asia
- FTApplications Support / Systems Administrator | DefenceACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Loutus Notes) 160815/SA/102Asia
- FTBack End Developer - Java, Spring, RESTNSW
- FTPrincipal Business Consultant- Wealth ManagementNSW
- FTCapacity PlannerNSW
- FTOrchestration Engineer - DevOps - PuppetVIC
- CCSAP ArchitectSA