IBM will sell the semiconductor technologies unit that makes its Power processors to GlobalFoundries, paying the chip manufacturer about US$1.3 billion to take two factories off its hands in a move to save money.
Under pressure to boost margins, IBM is set to make what it calls a "major business announcement" Monday morning, raising the possibility that it has finalized a deal to transfer chip-making operations to GlobalFoundries.
Samsung is partnering with chip manufacturer GlobalFoundries to increase the supply of low-power, high-speed chips for smartphones and tablets.
GlobalFoundries, a contract chip manufacturer that works closely with semiconductor companies, appointed former Motorola Mobility CEO Sanjay Jha as its chief executive Monday.
The U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency and a consortium of top semiconductor companies are handing out US$194 million to universities for research that addresses the physical limitations of semiconductors and chips.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- nbn on track to meet its financial year plan: Bill Morrow
- Roving Rachel's best crowd-funded travel products that are online right now
- Foxtel, Village and ISPs yet to agree on the cost of blocking pirate sites
- Why Microsoft won't extend the Windows 10 free upgrade offer
- Samsung's Raspberry Pi-like Artik 10 priced higher at $149.99
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCInformation ArchitectACT
- CCSenior Analyst, Applications - GDWVIC
- FTSupplier Relationship ManagerVIC
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- CCContract Snr IT Assistant (IT Operation/UNIX) 160504/SITA/982Asia
- CCOnline Shop Operations Consultant (eCommerce)VIC
- CCTransition Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Enterprise Architect, Financial ServicesAsia
- CCJava Developer / DevOps | FINEOS Application | Long Term ContractNSW
- CCLead Administrator - Network and SecurityNSW
- FTProduct Owner - MarketingNSW
- FTSoftware Design Engineer (Embedded Software)SA
- CCTechnical WriterACT
- FTFront End DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Project ManagerVIC
- CCVMWare ConsultantWA
- CCSolution Architect / Data ArchitectNSW
- FTGentrack ConsultantVIC
- CCSnr Technical System Engineer(IBM DB2/WebSphere)160419/STSE/vmtAsia
- CCMEAN Stack DeveloperVIC
- CCMS Biz Talk ConsultantNSW
- CCCommunication and Change ManagerVIC
- FTTechnical LeadNSW
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- CCNV2 - System Administration / Application SupportACT