IBM will sell the semiconductor technologies unit that makes its Power processors to GlobalFoundries, paying the chip manufacturer about US$1.3 billion to take two factories off its hands in a move to save money.
Under pressure to boost margins, IBM is set to make what it calls a "major business announcement" Monday morning, raising the possibility that it has finalized a deal to transfer chip-making operations to GlobalFoundries.
Samsung is partnering with chip manufacturer GlobalFoundries to increase the supply of low-power, high-speed chips for smartphones and tablets.
GlobalFoundries, a contract chip manufacturer that works closely with semiconductor companies, appointed former Motorola Mobility CEO Sanjay Jha as its chief executive Monday.
The U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency and a consortium of top semiconductor companies are handing out US$194 million to universities for research that addresses the physical limitations of semiconductors and chips.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft's pricey Surface Book is getting stomped by the ancient Surface Pro 3
- Android TV's universal search feature finally works with Netflix
- Facebook takes on critics with political bias class
- Kodi dives into hardware with a Raspberry Pi 3 case perfect for low-cost HTPCs
- What iOS 10 can tell us about the new iPhone
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCLevel 1 Helpdesk SupportNSW
- FTStorage ConsultantACT
- CCProject/ Program AnalystVIC
- CCSAP Application Delivery LeadVIC
- CCSenior Java DeveloperACT
- FTEnvironments Lead (Linux/ Automation)VIC
- CCNetwork EngineerACT
- CCSoftware Biomedical Solutions ArchitectSA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160617/AP/623Asia
- CCBusiness Impact AssessmentsVIC
- CCSAP Financial Master DataACT
- CCInfrastructure ArchitectACT
- FTBusiness Analyst - Clinical SystemsSA
- CCNational Project CoordinatorNSW
- CCSenior Change Manager, Financial ServicesNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - BPRNSW
- FTProject CoordinatorQLD
- CCProject Manager - IT SecurityNSW
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCTechnical OfficerACT
- FTContract System SpecialistAsia
- CCSharePoint AdministratorNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- FTSenior Architect, TechnologyNSW