Indian outsourcer Wipro reported slow revenue growth in its IT services business, reflecting a continued volatility in the outsourcing market.
Unable to close a number of large mainframe and software deals by the end of the quarter, IBM has reported a 5 percent decline in revenue to US$23.4 billion for the first quarter of 2013.
Microsoft increased revenue across all its divisions in its third fiscal quarter, achieving an almost 20 percent revenue increase year on year.
Advanced Micro Devices reported a 31 percent drop in revenue for the first quarter as it continues to battle a weak PC market and lackluster demand for its chips.
Verizon Communications reported an increase in revenue and a double-digit spike in net income for the first quarter of 2013, compared to a year earlier, driven largely by gains in mobile customers and in revenue from its Fios service.
Nokia's sales of smartphones running Windows Phone continued to grow in the first quarter, and its net loss shrank year on year, even as overall revenue declined.
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. (TSMC) reported that its first quarter net profit was up 18 percent year-over-year, as its revenue for the period exceeded its projections.
India's Tata Consultancy Services reported strong first quarter revenue and profit growth, despite indications that the outsourcing market is still uncertain.
Intel reported a drop in profits and revenue for the first quarter, as the biggest PC market slump in recent memory weighed on its business.
Indian outsourcer Infosys saw its profit drop even as revenue grew in the first quarter, as margins were hit by staff salary increases, and investments and acquisitions by the company in new technology areas and markets.
Just as tech stocks were starting to rise this week, dismal PC sales reports for the first quarter burst the very short-lived bubble, causing shares of IT companies to fall back to earth Thursday.
Taiwanese smartphone maker HTC reported a major decline in its first quarter profit, after the company was forced to push back the launch of its newest flagship phone to April.
Samsung Electronics expects a first-quarter operating profit of between 8.5 trillion won and 8.9 trillion won ($US7.6 billion to $US8 billion), a sharp increase of at least 49 per cent from a year earlier.
In a filing to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission on Friday, Dell highlighted the dismal financial straits that led to its plan to take the company private, a move that now has some major shareholders in an uproar.
Though IT trailed other sectors as market indices rose to milestone highs this quarter, some bright spots in earnings and market research reports this week indicate continuing confidence that things will go better for tech this year than in 2012.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- AMD's Radeon Pro WX GPUs can create VR content for under $1,000
- AMD introduces a new Radeon Pro WX series to replace FirePro
- How to use Microsoft Edge, Windows 10's new browser
- Here are the key security features coming to Windows 10 next week
- Nvidia's latest Quadro GPU delivers a blistering 12 teraflops of performance
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTAndroid Technical Lead (Work From Home 2-3 Days)NSW
- CCAgile Delivery ManagerACT
- CCHelpdesk OfficersNSW
- FTSenior Manager (Business Data Management)NSW
- FTSAS Support SpecialistNSW
- CCTechnical Architect - CloudNSW
- CCSenior SAP BW & HANA Developer/Technical ArchitectVIC
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- FTProject ManagerVIC
- CCIOS DeveloperWA
- CCSAP BODS ConsultantNSW
- CCData Entry - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCTest Manager - Baseline SecurityVIC
- CCUI/UX DesignerNSW
- CCOracle Apex DeveloperWA
- FTMobility Test AnalystNSW
- FTChange and Release ManagerVIC
- CCEnvironment ManagerVIC
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Process Analyst - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCLead Solutions ArchitectQLD
- FTSenior Oracle Functional Analyst (Finance)VIC
- FTMidrange Server Provision SMENSW
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT