Indian outsourcer Wipro reported slow revenue growth in its IT services business, reflecting a continued volatility in the outsourcing market.
Unable to close a number of large mainframe and software deals by the end of the quarter, IBM has reported a 5 percent decline in revenue to US$23.4 billion for the first quarter of 2013.
Microsoft increased revenue across all its divisions in its third fiscal quarter, achieving an almost 20 percent revenue increase year on year.
Advanced Micro Devices reported a 31 percent drop in revenue for the first quarter as it continues to battle a weak PC market and lackluster demand for its chips.
Verizon Communications reported an increase in revenue and a double-digit spike in net income for the first quarter of 2013, compared to a year earlier, driven largely by gains in mobile customers and in revenue from its Fios service.
Nokia's sales of smartphones running Windows Phone continued to grow in the first quarter, and its net loss shrank year on year, even as overall revenue declined.
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. (TSMC) reported that its first quarter net profit was up 18 percent year-over-year, as its revenue for the period exceeded its projections.
India's Tata Consultancy Services reported strong first quarter revenue and profit growth, despite indications that the outsourcing market is still uncertain.
Intel reported a drop in profits and revenue for the first quarter, as the biggest PC market slump in recent memory weighed on its business.
Indian outsourcer Infosys saw its profit drop even as revenue grew in the first quarter, as margins were hit by staff salary increases, and investments and acquisitions by the company in new technology areas and markets.
Just as tech stocks were starting to rise this week, dismal PC sales reports for the first quarter burst the very short-lived bubble, causing shares of IT companies to fall back to earth Thursday.
Taiwanese smartphone maker HTC reported a major decline in its first quarter profit, after the company was forced to push back the launch of its newest flagship phone to April.
Samsung Electronics expects a first-quarter operating profit of between 8.5 trillion won and 8.9 trillion won ($US7.6 billion to $US8 billion), a sharp increase of at least 49 per cent from a year earlier.
In a filing to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission on Friday, Dell highlighted the dismal financial straits that led to its plan to take the company private, a move that now has some major shareholders in an uproar.
Though IT trailed other sectors as market indices rose to milestone highs this quarter, some bright spots in earnings and market research reports this week indicate continuing confidence that things will go better for tech this year than in 2012.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Seagate 8TB NAS drive: Review
- Seagate ST1000LX001 review
- Report: Microsoft could debut Xbox One game streaming stick and 'Xbox TV' at E3
- This sticker can wirelessly charge your smartphone or tablet
- Microsoft breaks own design rules in dupe-the-user Windows 10 upgrade tactic
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FT.NET DevelopersQLD
- FTBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCSenior DevOps EngineerACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Contributions TaxNSW
- CCSQL DeveloperNSW
- CCTransition Manager / Project ManagerQLD
- CCOpen Source Specialist / Senior ConsultantQLD
- CCSoftware Engineer (Client facing) - Publisher SolutionsNSW
- CCOracle DBA | 3-6mth ContractVIC
- CCProject CoordinatorACT
- CCBusiness Analyst, AdviceNSW
- CCQA OfficerACT
- FTData EngineersNSW
- CCSnr Technical System Engineer (IBM/Oracle/SQL) 160524/STSE/vmtAsia
- FTAX Lead Technical ConsultantNSW
- CCNetwork Architect VoiceNSW
- CCDevOps Software Configuration ManagerACT
- CCMS Dynamics CRM ConsultantVIC
- CCBig Data DeveloperWA
- CCSystems Engineer- VMware / Cisco UCSNSW
- FTDelivery Lead- AWSNSW
- FTPermanent Defence network engineer - career progression & flexible conditionsACT
- FTScrum MasterVIC
- CCMobility SpcialistACT
- CCSAP Project ManagersNSW