Indian outsourcer Wipro reported slow revenue growth in its IT services business, reflecting a continued volatility in the outsourcing market.
Unable to close a number of large mainframe and software deals by the end of the quarter, IBM has reported a 5 percent decline in revenue to US$23.4 billion for the first quarter of 2013.
Microsoft increased revenue across all its divisions in its third fiscal quarter, achieving an almost 20 percent revenue increase year on year.
Advanced Micro Devices reported a 31 percent drop in revenue for the first quarter as it continues to battle a weak PC market and lackluster demand for its chips.
Verizon Communications reported an increase in revenue and a double-digit spike in net income for the first quarter of 2013, compared to a year earlier, driven largely by gains in mobile customers and in revenue from its Fios service.
Nokia's sales of smartphones running Windows Phone continued to grow in the first quarter, and its net loss shrank year on year, even as overall revenue declined.
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. (TSMC) reported that its first quarter net profit was up 18 percent year-over-year, as its revenue for the period exceeded its projections.
India's Tata Consultancy Services reported strong first quarter revenue and profit growth, despite indications that the outsourcing market is still uncertain.
Intel reported a drop in profits and revenue for the first quarter, as the biggest PC market slump in recent memory weighed on its business.
Indian outsourcer Infosys saw its profit drop even as revenue grew in the first quarter, as margins were hit by staff salary increases, and investments and acquisitions by the company in new technology areas and markets.
Just as tech stocks were starting to rise this week, dismal PC sales reports for the first quarter burst the very short-lived bubble, causing shares of IT companies to fall back to earth Thursday.
Taiwanese smartphone maker HTC reported a major decline in its first quarter profit, after the company was forced to push back the launch of its newest flagship phone to April.
Samsung Electronics expects a first-quarter operating profit of between 8.5 trillion won and 8.9 trillion won ($US7.6 billion to $US8 billion), a sharp increase of at least 49 per cent from a year earlier.
In a filing to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission on Friday, Dell highlighted the dismal financial straits that led to its plan to take the company private, a move that now has some major shareholders in an uproar.
Though IT trailed other sectors as market indices rose to milestone highs this quarter, some bright spots in earnings and market research reports this week indicate continuing confidence that things will go better for tech this year than in 2012.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Logitech's G410 mechanical keyboard is $60 today
- Leaked Microsoft document confirms Windows 10 Cloud and a Chromebook competitor
- Radeon RX 480 owners are transforming their graphics cards into the Radeon RX 580
- EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 review: A ferocious graphics card with a radical cooler
- Why getting the basics right in ITSM is the real advantage for businesses
PCW Evaluation Team
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Finance Business Analyst, Superannuation, WealthNSW
- FTSecurity Support Manager - Perth BasedNSW
- FTData Entry Administrator - TelecommunicationsNSW
- TPAutomation TesterQLD
- TPBusiness Analyst - AgileQLD
- FTSenior IOS DeveloperNSW
- FTSystem AnalystQLD
- CCFull Stack Developers x4!QLD
- CCDocument ControllerNSW
- FTSenior Network EngineerACT
- FTHelpdesk AnalystNSW
- CCProcess Specialist - TelcoVIC
- FTTechnical LeadVIC
- FTService Desk - Level 1 SupportVIC
- TPProject Manager. Enterprise wide IT ProjectsNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- FT.Net Developer - work on cutting edge BAU projectsVIC
- CCSenior IT Project ManagerNSW
- FTSales Lead - Healthcare systemsVIC
- CCSoftware ManagerVIC
- FTPHP Full Stack DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- FTSenior MS Server Administrator with HyperVNSW
- CCSQL Database AdministratorQLD