The HTC First, also known as "the Facebook phone" thanks to its Facebook Home integration, is looking more and more like a flop.
Facebook Home's ratings may be lukewarm, but the social network interface is spreading to more smartphones. Home for Android is now available on the flagship HTC One and unofficially it works with Samsung's Galaxy S4.
It turns out that not everyone wants Facebook to be the centerpiece of their smartphone. The "Facebook-enhanced" HTC First was released little more than a month ago and already it's selling for less than a pack of gum.
In just 10 days, Facebook Home has just surpassed a half-million installations on Google Play. As a point of comparison, that's only slightly less than the population of the entire nation of Luxemburg.
A week after it debuted in the US, Facebook has launched its Home Android launcher in the Australian Google Play Store.
How much Facebook is too much Facebook?
Smartphone connoisseurs may be anticipating the upcoming release of the HTC One, but the rest of the world can't stop talking about another HTC phone due out Friday, the First.
Social network's new overlay for Android smartphones 'would be the first thing I would block on my network,' said one security adviser
Unless you're a huge Facebook fanatic, will this really be something you use every day? Time will tell.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft's pricey Surface Book is getting stomped by the ancient Surface Pro 3
- Android TV's universal search feature finally works with Netflix
- Facebook takes on critics with political bias class
- Kodi dives into hardware with a Raspberry Pi 3 case perfect for low-cost HTPCs
- What iOS 10 can tell us about the new iPhone
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCApplication Support Analyst and Database AdministratorVIC
- FTDynamics AX Functional ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Software Developer (Full Stack)SA
- FTSenior Manager Practice LeadNSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer - C# FocusNSW
- CCCobol ProgrammerACT
- CCTelecommunications Operations Support officerACT
- FTLead Tableau Reporting ConsultantNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCSAP ABAP - Senior developerVIC
- CCService Desk ConsultantVIC
- CCDevOps /Systems AdministratorQLD
- CCProgram Test ManagerNSW
- CCDynamics CRM DeveloperNSW
- CCSolution Architect - PayrollNSW
- FT.Net Developer (WebAPI / Entity Framework / SQL Server)NSW
- CCContract Junior Programmer (HTML/JAVA/MySQL) 160613/JP/921Asia
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (HTML/SQL/PHP) 160628/AP/113Asia
- CCInfrastructure ArchitectACT
- FTBusiness Analyst/Data Analyst Capability ManagerVIC
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160621/P/866Asia
- FTIT Senior Business Analyst (12M)NSW
- CCOracle iLearning Business AnalystNSW