E-mail may still be the dominant tool for office communications in many companies today, but Microsoft on Wednesday unveiled a mobile-minded alternative that's focused primarily on short, quick messages.
Office 365 users have a new, more secure method of logging into Microsoft's Outlook apps for iOS and Android, thanks to an update the company announced Wednesday.
It wasn't long after the launch of Slack's namesake team-communication software last year that the San Francisco company was catapulted into the "unicorn" club -- that growing group of startups with valuations above $1 billion.
Google is giving systems admins more control over Apps documents in an attempt to alleviate concerns about securing company data after moving email and productivity software to the cloud.
Microsoft has boosted the functionality of the Office 365 enterprise search and discovery application Delve, and expects to finish its rollout to commercial Office 365 customers by mid-May.
Yahoo released the source code for a plugin that will enable end-to-end encryption of email messages, a planned data-security improvement prompted by disclosures of U.S. National Security Agency snooping.
Access to Microsoft's new Outlook apps has been blocked for members of the European Parliament because of "serious security issues."
A glitch in the search software in Apple's OS X Yosemite can expose private details of Apple Mail users, revealing their IP address as well as other system details to spammers, phishers and online tracking companies.
Setting the stage for advanced Office mail functionality on non-Windows platforms, Microsoft has acquired Acompli, a startup that provides software for organizing email on mobile devices.
In time for the holiday shopping season, Microsoft has refined how Office 365 handles bulk promotional emails from vendors like Amazon, eBay and Macy's.
IBM is going up against cloud-apps powerhouses Google and Microsoft with its next generation email client, called Verse, designed to enrich email with social media and analysis.
Google has given its Calendar mobile app the biggest makeover since its launch, adding features meant to make it a more intuitive and smart time-management tool.
Google is taking another crack at email overload, but this time around it's resorting to drastic measures, developing a new product apparently built from scratch without relying on Gmail.
Apps admins will be able to communicate with Google tech support staffers via online chat, complementing other existing options, including phone calls.
Another startup wants to offer mobile messaging to enterprises, even though it's questionable whether such a narrow service can sustain a company and even though it's likely that larger enterprise collaboration vendors will jump into this market.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft's vision for LinkedIn is about tying its business data into Office and other services
- Facebook's Year in Review for 2016 isn't just fun and games
- AMD's Radeon Software Crimson ReLive debuts with features galore
- Intel, Microsoft renew 'Wintel' partnership with Project Evo and VR specs for PCs
- New Windows 10 Insider Build allows you to shut down your PC with your voice
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSAP HR & Payroll Project ManagerACT
- FTPortal Project ManagerNSW
- TPBusiness Systems AnalystQLD
- FTIndustry Engagement ManagerVIC
- FTDevOps/L2 Support EngineerVIC
- CCProject Manager - Scrum MasterNSW
- FTSoftware Sales & BDMNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystSA
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- CCIT Service Design Analyst- ITSMNSW
- CCFacilities Coordinator - Multiple RolesVIC
- CCIteration Manager - DigitalNSW
- CCFunctional Consultant - Brisbane locationNSW
- TPAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystSA
- FTManager Integration PlanningNSW
- CCAgile TesterNSW
- CCSoftware DeveloperNSW
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- CCProject Manager- Office 365 and Core Azure servicesNSW
- TPSenior Test AnalystQLD
- CCAutoCAD Business System Analyst/ GIS, Spatial AnalystNSW
- FTJunior Business Analyst Permanent North SydneyNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | Digital MarketNSW