Dell sent a message that it intends to keep its PC division alive with the launch of new Venue tablets on Wednesday.
This year's America's Cup will be remembered for Oracle Team USA's jaw-dropping comeback against Emirates New Zealand, but it should also be remembered for the huge role computers have come to play in the competition.
Dell's XPS 10 tablet models with Windows RT have been removed from the company's website, which analysts said could leave Microsoft as the only vendor selling ARM-based tablets running versions of Windows RT.
Dell has introduced an 11.6-inch Inspiron 11 touchscreen laptop starting at US$349 as the company reshapes its consumer laptop lineup with a new naming scheme and models.
Dell will invest in additional acquisitions and remain committed to its struggling PC business once a $US24.9 billion deal to go private is complete, according to company officials.
Shareholders have voted to approve a $US24.9 billion buyout of the company by founder and CEO Michael Dell and investment firm Silver Lake Partners.
Dell showed on Wednesday a new Windows 8.1 tablet called Venue, a brand name for mobile devices the PC maker abandoned when it discontinued shipment of smartphones early last year.
After a long battle, Carl Icahn and associates admitted they were fighting a losing battle and have stepped away from their attempt to buy Dell.
Canonical is in talks with Dell on making a version of Ubuntu supported by the Chinese government available as a pre-installed OS on the PC maker's upcoming products destined for the Chinese market.
The server business continued to slide in the second quarter with worldwide revenue and unit sales down, IDC said Tuesday.
Windows 8 may be seeing sluggish demand, but Dell believes its the best OS for business tablets and plans to roll out more products built with the operating system later this year, a senior executive said Tuesday.
Dell is giving a new identity to its Latitude laptops with the introduction of thinner and lighter models priced starting at US$599 and running on Intel's Haswell processors.
With an update to its Foglight for Virtualization software package, Dell can now help organizations rid their systems of resource-sucking zombie virtual machines.
Shoppers who tried to buy a Windows RT tablet at Dell's website Friday morning would have seen one listed for US$299. By the end of the day the cheapest tablet came bundled with a keyboard for $479.
Dell reported a 72 per cent drop in profit, a month before an expected shareholder vote that could shape the future of the company.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Nokia Lumia 830 review: Punching above its weight
- 2 BlackBerry Passport review: A smartphone going nowhere
- 3 Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A flagship at 4.6-inches
- 4 Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Windows 8.1 tablet
- 5 Samsung Galaxy Tab S (10.5) 4G review
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Wi-Fi Passpoint standard now knits together SF, San Jose, London
- Big Data Digest: Rise of the think-bots
- FCC pushes TV spectrum auction to 2016 after legal challenge
- Apple mum as Mac owners tussle with Yosemite over Wi-Fi problems
- Apple Pay tops Tim Cook's to-do list in China
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTTechnical Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTPartner Marketing Communications Manager - Leading Global Tech BrandNSW
- FTBusiness ManagerNSW
- FTDigital PR SpecialistNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTMarketing Communications Operations Manager - Global Tech Market leaderNSW
- FTBusiness development manager - retargettingNSW
- FTDigital Account ExecutiveNSW
- CCConsumer Product Marketing ManagerNSW