IBM is looking to boost its mainframe business with a Linux push that includes new hardware, software and the founding of the Open Mainframe Project. The company is also contributing mainframe code to the open source community.
Oracle has come under considerable fire over the years for its restrictive license terms and aggressive audit program, but it appears at least some change is on the way.
Amazon Web Services now lets companies run Oracle's database for about 3 cents per hour, while at the same time adding more options for enterprises that want to move high performance workloads to the cloud.
The U.K. Cabinet Office has reportedly asked government departments and agencies to try to find ways to end their reliance on Oracle software, but it's not clear that approach will really solve its problems.
SAP's SQL Anywhere has long served as an embeddable database option for mobile devices, but the rise of the Internet of Things has opened up a new world of possibilities, and SAP has lost no time in polishing the technology for that purpose.
Datameer is giving its native Hadoop environment new data governance capabilities in an effort to help organizations tackle data quality, security and compliance problems stemming from the growing use of analytics tools by business users.
In-memory databases have garnered attention recently because they combine transaction and analytic processing, and one of the latest developments came Wednesday from MemSQL, which announced a new release and a free new Community Edition.
Google has introduced a service for storing large amounts of data online, potentially enabling organizations to execute big data analysis as a cloud service.
No longer will SQL Server administrators have to worry about filling up their database servers.
Following through on a promise to open-source its data analysis software, Pivotal has released the source code that powers its GemFire in-memory database.
Promising more thorough and timelier data analysis, Hewlett-Packard has released a software package that combines the company's Vertica database with its IDOL data analysis platform.
Apple has reportedly acquired database company FoundationDB, a move that would allow the company to improve the underpinnings of its existing services and also lay the groundwork for an Internet of Things (IoT) expansion.
Microsoft has added automated backup and patching for SQL Server databases running in virtual machines on its Azure cloud, in a bid to simplify management and improve reliability.
IBM will favor buyouts that strengthen its Cloud services, the company's CFO said, as it looks for ways to expand its business after 11 straight quarters of declining revenue.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft's vision for LinkedIn is about tying its business data into Office and other services
- Facebook's Year in Review for 2016 isn't just fun and games
- AMD's Radeon Software Crimson ReLive debuts with features galore
- Intel, Microsoft renew 'Wintel' partnership with Project Evo and VR specs for PCs
- New Windows 10 Insider Build allows you to shut down your PC with your voice
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Business AnalystSA
- FTService Desk Team LeaderNSW
- TPFrontend DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Projects Engineer | Systems Integration and IT Managed ServicesNSW
- TPSAP FICO Functional AnalystQLD
- TPSAP HR Payroll Functional ConsultantQLD
- FTProject ManagerOther
- FTService Desk Team LeaderNSW
- FTProject Manager - Security Operations CentreVIC
- TPSenior Test AnalystQLD
- CCProject ManagerWA
- CCProgress DeveloperQLD
- FTSolutions Architect - Data Centre/ NetworkSA
- FTChief Security Officer l CISSP l ISO27001NSW
- CCSenior Integration DeveloperSA
- FTUX ResearcherVIC
- FTProject Manager - Cyber SecurityNSW
- CCSoftware Engineer - Submarine simulation and testing - MELBOURNEACT
- CCProject Manager - Scrum MasterNSW
- CCSenior Security Analyst | 6mth ContractVIC
- CCSenior Platform Developer/ArchitectNSW
- CCCloud Automation Engineer. Work Location - CanberraNSW
- FTSOE Team LeaderWA
- CCSolutions Designer/Architect- ServiceNowVIC
- CCTechnical AnalystACT