IBM is looking to boost its mainframe business with a Linux push that includes new hardware, software and the founding of the Open Mainframe Project. The company is also contributing mainframe code to the open source community.
Oracle has come under considerable fire over the years for its restrictive license terms and aggressive audit program, but it appears at least some change is on the way.
Amazon Web Services now lets companies run Oracle's database for about 3 cents per hour, while at the same time adding more options for enterprises that want to move high performance workloads to the cloud.
The U.K. Cabinet Office has reportedly asked government departments and agencies to try to find ways to end their reliance on Oracle software, but it's not clear that approach will really solve its problems.
SAP's SQL Anywhere has long served as an embeddable database option for mobile devices, but the rise of the Internet of Things has opened up a new world of possibilities, and SAP has lost no time in polishing the technology for that purpose.
Datameer is giving its native Hadoop environment new data governance capabilities in an effort to help organizations tackle data quality, security and compliance problems stemming from the growing use of analytics tools by business users.
In-memory databases have garnered attention recently because they combine transaction and analytic processing, and one of the latest developments came Wednesday from MemSQL, which announced a new release and a free new Community Edition.
Google has introduced a service for storing large amounts of data online, potentially enabling organizations to execute big data analysis as a cloud service.
No longer will SQL Server administrators have to worry about filling up their database servers.
Following through on a promise to open-source its data analysis software, Pivotal has released the source code that powers its GemFire in-memory database.
Promising more thorough and timelier data analysis, Hewlett-Packard has released a software package that combines the company's Vertica database with its IDOL data analysis platform.
Apple has reportedly acquired database company FoundationDB, a move that would allow the company to improve the underpinnings of its existing services and also lay the groundwork for an Internet of Things (IoT) expansion.
Microsoft has added automated backup and patching for SQL Server databases running in virtual machines on its Azure cloud, in a bid to simplify management and improve reliability.
IBM will favor buyouts that strengthen its Cloud services, the company's CFO said, as it looks for ways to expand its business after 11 straight quarters of declining revenue.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft cuts off 40 percent of Windows phones with Creators Update shift
- Google will try to combat fake news using search and user feedback
- Wilson's Heart review: Not a perfect virtual reality game, but certainly the best so far
- Best Buy has knocked $50 off the Ring Video Doorbell Pro
- Windows 10 Mobile Creators Update review: The future is increasingly uncertain
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTTest Automation Lead | 6mth ContractVIC
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- FTRegional Market Manager - Wide Bay RegionQLD
- TPProject Manager | HealthQLD
- CCWindows Server EngineerNSW
- FTTechnical WriterACT
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerQLD
- FTOracle E-Business Technical ConsultantVIC
- FTSenior Systems Engineer x 2NSW
- FTIT Service Owner - Supply Chain TechnologiesNSW
- FTDrupal Developer - Senior or Mid levelQLD
- FTSystems Administrator - TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTDigital ProducerNSW
- CCCRM Techno FunctionalistQLD
- FTDeveloper - Python, Ruby, or PerlQLD
- CCOrganisational Change LeadNSW
- FTApplication Support Lead - Health ApplicationsNSW
- TPIntergration SpecialistQLD
- CCSAP CRM Functional AnalystACT
- FTSenior Software Developer (C#.Net and VB.Net)SA
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Wintel EngineerNSW
- FTData Analyst (Query Scripting and Reporting)NSW
- TPBusiness Project ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Network Architect l CCNP/CCIE R&S l Cisco ACINSW