IBM is looking to boost its mainframe business with a Linux push that includes new hardware, software and the founding of the Open Mainframe Project. The company is also contributing mainframe code to the open source community.
Oracle has come under considerable fire over the years for its restrictive license terms and aggressive audit program, but it appears at least some change is on the way.
Amazon Web Services now lets companies run Oracle's database for about 3 cents per hour, while at the same time adding more options for enterprises that want to move high performance workloads to the cloud.
The U.K. Cabinet Office has reportedly asked government departments and agencies to try to find ways to end their reliance on Oracle software, but it's not clear that approach will really solve its problems.
SAP's SQL Anywhere has long served as an embeddable database option for mobile devices, but the rise of the Internet of Things has opened up a new world of possibilities, and SAP has lost no time in polishing the technology for that purpose.
Datameer is giving its native Hadoop environment new data governance capabilities in an effort to help organizations tackle data quality, security and compliance problems stemming from the growing use of analytics tools by business users.
In-memory databases have garnered attention recently because they combine transaction and analytic processing, and one of the latest developments came Wednesday from MemSQL, which announced a new release and a free new Community Edition.
Google has introduced a service for storing large amounts of data online, potentially enabling organizations to execute big data analysis as a cloud service.
No longer will SQL Server administrators have to worry about filling up their database servers.
Following through on a promise to open-source its data analysis software, Pivotal has released the source code that powers its GemFire in-memory database.
Promising more thorough and timelier data analysis, Hewlett-Packard has released a software package that combines the company's Vertica database with its IDOL data analysis platform.
Apple has reportedly acquired database company FoundationDB, a move that would allow the company to improve the underpinnings of its existing services and also lay the groundwork for an Internet of Things (IoT) expansion.
Microsoft has added automated backup and patching for SQL Server databases running in virtual machines on its Azure cloud, in a bid to simplify management and improve reliability.
IBM will favor buyouts that strengthen its Cloud services, the company's CFO said, as it looks for ways to expand its business after 11 straight quarters of declining revenue.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Opera gets acquisition offer from Chinese consortium that includes Qihoo
- US regulator coming around to view that a Google computer could qualify as car driver
- Poseidon hacker group behind long-running extortion scheme
- Is Docker ditching Ubuntu Linux? Confusion reigns
- 45 per cent of Australians do not recycle e-waste: TechCollect
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCOpen_5pm 5th February_Program ArchitectACT
- CCSenior Agile Business Analyst - Online/Mobile experienceNSW
- FTPrincipal Business Analyst (SQL/SAS)NSW
- CCSolution Architect - Biomedical - South Australia locationSA
- CCPython Web Developer - DevOPS EnvironmentVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - IT SecurityNSW
- FTInsight / Customer / modelling - Analyst (Data Scientist)NSW
- FTSenior Project Manager - SecurityNSW
- FTTechnical WriterNSW
- CCTest ManagerQLD
- CCSenior Agile Business AnalystVIC
- FTPrograme ManagerNSW
- FTTechnical Support Engineer, International SoftwareNSW
- FTSenior Oracle DBANSW
- FTInfrastructure Project Manager - NV1 clearance mandatoryNSW
- FTApplication Packaging & Deployments Team LeaderNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (SQL/Oracle/.Net) 160129/AP/vhs-bAsia
- CCSAP HR Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCSenior Product Specialist - Cisco CPENSW
- CCOracle CC&B Technical AnalystVIC
- CCMicrosoft Dynamics CRM DeveloperSA
- FTFull Stack & Mobile EngineersNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/Visual VB.net) 160115/AP/vhsAsia