How good are you at sizing someone up? Perhaps not as good as a computer, according to researchers at the University of Cambridge and Stanford University.
Half the money spent on advertising is wasted -- the question is, which half? That's the age-old question in adland. Now Oracle is hoping to help its customers answer that question with the acquisition of Datalogix, which collects offline consumer sp...
Skin cancer can be detected more quickly and accurately by using cognitive computing-based visual analytics, researchers at IBM Research have found, in collaboration with New York's Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.
Even though systems such as Hadoop and Spark can grapple with large amounts of data, their tools for analyzing and parsing this information efficiently and in real-time are still limited. A two-year old Seattle startup called SpaceCurve will release ...
The pool of online data analysis services available for corporate users is about to grow larger, with HP set to offer two of its own, key products as hosted cloud services by early next year.
Enterprise data sets have gotten so voluminous that they can't fit into even the largest data warehouses anymore, many businesses find. Now, companies running these overstuffed data stores have an on-ramp to newfangled, big-data style processing thro...
Bringing some enterprise rigor to the wild world of big data, Hewlett-Packard has issued a package that will allow organizations to harness HP's Vertica analytical database engine to investigate reams of unstructured data residing in Hadoop systems.
Software provider Platfora has extended its analysis software to work with data generated by sensors, machines and other devices that are part of the Internet of Things.
Finding new sources of oil underground is an expensive and risky undertaking. Now IBM is working with energy company Repsol to look for ways in which new cognitive computing techniques could help reduce the uncertainty and improve production.
Two of IBM's most popular analysis products, the Cognos Business Intelligence and the SPSS predictive analytics package, are headed for the Cloud, the latest in an ongoing push by IBM to port its vast software portfolio to the Cloud.
It turns out that a vital missing ingredient in the long-sought after goal of getting machines to think like humans -- artificial intelligence -- has been lots and lots of data.
In 1966, some Massachusetts Institute of Technology researchers reckoned that they could develop computer vision as a summer project, perhaps even get a few smart undergrads to complete the task.
In their zeal to collect as much operational data as possible, organizations hoping to gain an advantage through the use of big data will also need to rethink how they process, analyze and present that material.
Changing databases is not a move to be taken lightly, especially when the switch is to a relatively new kind of database.
Big data's origins lie not with Google or even IBM, but in a 1970's Chilean government effort to move to socialism, so we learned from the latest New Yorker ("The Money Issue").
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Critical VPN key exchange flaw exposes Cisco security appliances to remote hacking
- Qualcomm bringing LTE connectivity to wearables with new Wear platform
- Qualcomm's new chips target low-cost smartphones with premium features
- Facebook withdraws Free Basics from India after regulatory debacle
- Twitter offers new timeline feature
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCAD and FIM EngineerNSW
- CCIT Security EngineerNSW
- CCService Desk ManagerVIC
- CCAutomation QAVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - Digital -PenrithNSW
- FTSenior Linux Sys AdminNSW
- CCSolution Architect - .NET environmentACT
- CCJava Development EngineerNSW
- CCCommercial Manager - Strategy / Big Data - Telecommunications -NSW
- CCIT Service Improvement SpecialistNSW
- CCOracle Project OfficerSA
- CCiOS DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Oracle DBANSW
- CCContract System Analyst (SQL/.net) 160205/SA/561Asia
- FTUI DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Project AnalystVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle/UNIX) 160203/AP/381Asia
- CCTechnical Lead - .NET TechnologiesNSW
- CCInfrastructure ConsultantNSW
- CCProject Manager- Wealth and AdviceNSW
- FT.NET DeveloperVIC
- CCSharePoint AdministratorACT
- FTFront End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamNSW
- CCSharepoint AdministratorVIC