Nvidia has made improvements to its underlying software tools to make it easier to write programs for faster execution across CPUs and graphics processors.
Advanced Micro Devices will release a new tablet chip code-named Mullins that draws about half as much power as its predecessor, the Temash chip, as the company struggles to compete with Intel.
Oracle has joined the industry consortium HSA Foundation, which is developing standards to make it easier for programmers to take advantage of GPUs and other processor types for faster code execution.
The new gaming consoles due for release in the coming days helped underdog Advanced Micro Devices gain x86 processor market share over Intel during the third quarter of this year.
Advanced Micro Devices aims to bring console-style graphics to PCs with its chips code-named Kaveri, which, after delays, will become available in desktops and laptops starting early next year.
Enterprise open-source software vendor Red Hat is keeping an eye on the development of 64-bit ARM processors for servers, building up expertise in case the nascent platform takes hold in the data center.
Nvidia's Tegra 4i processor, the first of its chips with integrated support for LTE cellular data, is on course to appear in products early next year, the company's CEO said Thursday.
Intel is paying serious attention to small electronics, wearable technology and the do-it-yourself crowd, establishing a new business group to address those market segments.
The equipment is big and expensive, with the research costs at almost US$500,000. But by just using retail components, Chinese professor Chi Nan has built her own Li-Fi wireless system that can use LED lights to send and receive Internet data.
A firmware update for Microsoft's Surface Pro 2 appears to have drastically improved battery life, addressing one of the beefy tablet's biggest weak points.
A project aims to bring an inexpensive 9-inch portable monitor to the popular US$25 Raspberry Pi PC, which comes without a keyboard, mouse or monitor.
Intel's Galileo open-source computer for the hacker and do-it-yourself crowd can now be ordered for $US69.90, and is scheduled to ship at the end of November.
Firefox's new support for HTML5's Web audio feature steals the show
A speedier successor to the ThinkPad Tablet 2 is being developed by Lenovo as the company tries to add more tablets to its mix of personal computing portfolio.
ARM has released designs for two new Mali GPU cores, including a 16-core part that should help bring higher-end capabilities like video-editing and gesture recognition to mobile devices.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Severe vulnerability in Cisco's WebEx extension for Chrome leaves PCs open to easy attack
- Microsoft tries to expel Chromebooks from schools with Intune app and low-cost PCs
- If we show you how to back up your PC for free, will you finally do it?
- How to create Live Tiles for your Steam games in Windows
- Samsung sees 2016 profit jump despite Note 7 debacle
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSenior Project Manager - Vendor Transition - ApplicationsNSW
- FTSecurity Delivery Manager l Security, Governance, Delivery & OperationNSW
- FTIT Project CoordinatorVIC
- TP.Net DeveloperVIC
- FTSAP BW ConsultantACT
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- FTWeb Front- End DeveloperSA
- CCSenior Java DeveloperNSW
- CCCloud Solution Architect - Financial Services - Continuous IntegrationNSW
- TPProject Manager - EnterpriseACT
- FTApplication Developer - FileNetQLD
- FTSenior Java EngineerACT
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCInfrastructure Business AnalystNSW
- CCEnterprise ArchitectQLD
- CCSenior Engineer - Finance PackagesQLD
- FTCheckpoint Firewall and VPNNSW
- FTApplication Developer - FileNetVIC
- FTSalesforce Technical Business Analyst (Brisbane based)NSW
- TPProject CoordintorVIC
- CCTechnical WriterACT
- CCJava Developer/ Guidewire DevelopersQLD
- FTSenior Technical Consultant - SQLACT
- TPAndroid DeveloperSA
- TPICT Project CoordinatorQLD