With a full-frame, 35mm sensor and 26 megapixels to its name, the Sony A900 (DSLR-A900) digital SLR camera is a super-heavyweight when it comes to churning out huge images. It eclipses even the high-end models from Canon and Nikon in resolution (it only just beats the Nikon D3x), and its mid-range price of $5299 (for the body only) is sure to arouse interest from serious enthusiasts as well as professionals looking to get a high return on their investment.
The Panasonic TZ ('travel zoom') series of digital cameras will welcome the Lumix DMC-TZ7 in April. The Panasonic DMC-TZ7 has a 10.1-megapixel sensor and a 10-element LEICA DC 25mm lens. It will be a hybrid camera capable of taking 720p-resolution videos using the AVCHD Lite codec, and will feature a 12x optical zoom capable of reaching up to 300mm.
Even though it’s billed as a mid-range digital SLR camera, the Olympus E-30 is one of the better models on the market for inexperienced users who are thinking of making the switch to a D-SLR but have been scared off by all the dials and buttons. In addition to being a fully customisable camera with buttons and dials for all of its exposure settings, the E-30 offers an easy-to-use on-screen menu, preset scene modes, face detection and the best implementation of Live View we've seen.
When a digital SLR camera has a price tag of $11,999 — and that's just for the body — you know it's not something that everyday folk will appreciate. Instead it's likely it will only appeal to professionals who make a living from photography.
Joining Olympus as the only other well-known vendor with out-of-the-box tough cameras, Panasonic is hoping its LUMIX DMC-FT1 will gain traction with outdoorsmen (and women) when it's released in April. It's a waterproof, dustproof and drop-proof compact camera. With the ability to record high-definition video at up to 720p, the Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FT1 is a great hybrid for demanding users who want good still images as well as the ability to take high quality video.
It's very hard to like the Canon PowerShot A480 digital camera, because it simply looks and feels awful. The controls are laid out awkwardly on a body that is cramped yet bulky. Its LCD screen has very poor viewing angles and brightness, which can make it hard to frame your shots properly on bright days and when you want to take angled shots from low down or high up. But there is no doubting that the Canon PowerShot A480 can produce impressively crisp and vibrant photos considering its low, low asking price of $179.
Japan's Canon plans to build a new digital camera manufacturing factory in Japan to keep up with demand from an expanding global market, it said Monday.
There are times when you want a camera that's slim but still able to zoom in on the action from a long distance. There are quite a few models that despite having a 5x zoom or more are still small enough to fit into a pocket. We compiled of a short-list of our top five and categorised them according to users' needs: whether travelling, leading an active lifestyle or simply shopping on a budget.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSME Senior Financial Planner - MelbourneVIC
- CCData Surveyor, Data Analyst, Electrical backgroundACT
- CCSenior Integration DeveloperQLD
- CCChange & Release AdministratorNSW
- CCJava DeveloperWA
- CCSenior Performance Test AnalystVIC
- CCIteration Manager / Scrum MasterOther
- CCIT Project ManagerQLD
- FTFull Stack Web Developer .NET or JAVANSW
- TPHRIS Project Delivery ManagerQLD
- CCTeam Lead / Senior Software Engineer - C/C++ / Web ServicesNSW
- CCPlatform Services EngineerNSW
- FTSolutions Architect - Data Centre/ NetworkACT
- CCSenior Web Content AuthorACT
- TPJava Developer - ContractQLD
- CCSenior Network ConsultantVIC
- CCSenior Back-end Developer/Database DesignerNSW
- FTUX/UI DesignerWA
- FTWeb Developer/ DesignerWA
- CCProject Manager - Process Transformation / AutomationVIC
- CCJava DeveloperWA
- FTICT Business Liaison ManagerSA
- CCData Quality AnalystNSW
- FTAndroid Technical Lead (Work From Home 2-3 Days)NSW
- FTServiceNow and Service Management ArchitectVIC