It has been 25 years since the potential market failure of a Microsoft operating system carried serious consequences outside the corporation's own campus. MS-DOS and Windows versions have failed to gain traction before and even been publicly lampooned. But in that quarter-century, Microsoft's dominance of the desktop has kept the platform afloat, even when consumers and businesses stalwartly refused to upgrade.
Acer has posted the highest level of growth among top PC makers, recording double digit growth despite a 1.4 per cent overall decline.
The latest generation of Intel’s Atom processor has really helped make low-cost Windows 8-based tablets an attractive proposition. They are now zippier in their overall performance, and very much a joy to use. So far we’ve seen only 8in models from the likes of Toshiba and Dell using the new CPU. Can the larger, 10.1in ASUS Transformer Book T100 provide a similarly enjoyable user experience?
Microsoft Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2 users may find the Surface Pro Pen does not offer pressure-sensitivity in third-party apps like Adobe Photoshop. Until Microsoft pushes out an update for that, here's how to fix the problem yourself in five minutes or less.
Whilst the ASUS Transformer line began with Android-powered convertibles, the latest Transformer Book T100 sports Microsoft’s Windows 8.1. We had a brief hands-on with the T100 at its launch event in Sydney, late October.
Less than a year after the launch of its first Surface RT and Surface Pro tablets, Microsoft has launched the next iteration of its tablet family, including the Windows 8.1 RT-based Surface 2.
An update to Windows 8 is in the works, codenamed Windows Blue.
Dell's Latitude 10 is a Windows 8-based tablet that is aimed at business users who need touchscreen functionality within a Windows environment. It's not a very powerful tablet, but it's useful for running non-CPU-intensive apps and it should benefit field workers who need something simple with which to enter data. Its big draw cards are strong build quality, built-in ports, long battery life, and a battery that can also be easily swapped -- further increasing its field runtime.
It may not run a fast Core i5-based processor, but the ASUS VivoTab 810 and its Intel Atom CPU is a great choice for anyone who wants a lightweight Windows 8-based tablet with long battery life. It's an 11.6in model that can be used for basic Web browsing and multimedia consumption, and it even ships with a dock and a stylus so that it can be used for comfortable note-taking and other office tasks.
Samsung's Ativ Smart PC Pro 700T (XE700T1C-A02AU) is a Windows 8-based tablet that ships with a keyboard dock. It can be used either as a stand-alone tablet, or as a notebook if you need to do lots of typing.
Windows 8 may not be the easiest operating system to use, but no one can accuse it of being stingy. If you poke deep inside the new OS, you'll find a generous assortment of software tools, many of which make third-party utilities redundant.
Upgrading to a new operating system can be an intimidating undertaking that massively disrupts your daily workflow. And considering the dramatic interface changes introduced in Windows 8, you may not want to invest in Microsoft's latest OS without first giving it a thorough shakedown.
Toshiba's Satellite L850 is a 15.6in laptop that's designed primarily for home use. It's the type of laptop you should consider if you want something that can allow you to do a little bit of everything, including play games.
While the idea of the detachable keyboard dock remains innovative, the ASUS Vivo Tab RT has build quality issues, a cramped physical keyboard and the Windows RT platform is limited and often frustrating.
Microsoft has created a wonderful tablet in the Surface RT. It feels well made, it's light, it's highly usable and it contains things that many tablet users have considered to be essential elements for a great overall user experience, such as a built-in stand and expansion ports.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- What if Windows 10 fails?
- Acer leads growth in PC shipments
- How to test-drive Windows 8 for free in VirtualBox
- HP's hardware boss not a fan of Surface, Windows RT
- Why isn't Microsoft's answer to Siri built into Windows 8?
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSharepoint ArchitectACT
- FTProject ManagerACT
- FTApplications Support / Systems Administrator | DefenceACT
- CCChange Communications ManagerNSW
- CCImplementation ManagerVIC
- FTPython Data EngineerWA
- CCSenior Process Analyst - WealthVIC
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/HTML/PHP) 160819/P/733Asia
- FTStorage EngineerSA
- CCSr. Project Manager- Infrastructure- Data Centre,VirtualizationNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Oracle SQL/.Net) 160812/AP/vhsAsia
- CCSalesforce Developer / UrgentNSW
- FTSenior IoT / M2M .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCICT Security Design & Implementation - NV1ACT
- CCCommunications OfficerACT
- CCProject Manager - Expense Management SystemVIC
- CCIBM ODM Expert (Operation Decision Manager)ACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160824/AP/187Asia
- CCSenior Security Specialist - McAfeeVIC
- CCNetwork Engineer - TelecomVIC
- FTBusiness AnalystACT
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCSAP HCM / HR -Sr. Business AnalystNSW
- FTSAP Ariba Consultant/ManagerVIC
- CCChange AnalystVIC