It has been 25 years since the potential market failure of a Microsoft operating system carried serious consequences outside the corporation's own campus. MS-DOS and Windows versions have failed to gain traction before and even been publicly lampooned. But in that quarter-century, Microsoft's dominance of the desktop has kept the platform afloat, even when consumers and businesses stalwartly refused to upgrade.
Acer has posted the highest level of growth among top PC makers, recording double digit growth despite a 1.4 per cent overall decline.
The latest generation of Intel’s Atom processor has really helped make low-cost Windows 8-based tablets an attractive proposition. They are now zippier in their overall performance, and very much a joy to use. So far we’ve seen only 8in models from the likes of Toshiba and Dell using the new CPU. Can the larger, 10.1in ASUS Transformer Book T100 provide a similarly enjoyable user experience?
Microsoft Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2 users may find the Surface Pro Pen does not offer pressure-sensitivity in third-party apps like Adobe Photoshop. Until Microsoft pushes out an update for that, here's how to fix the problem yourself in five minutes or less.
Whilst the ASUS Transformer line began with Android-powered convertibles, the latest Transformer Book T100 sports Microsoft’s Windows 8.1. We had a brief hands-on with the T100 at its launch event in Sydney, late October.
Less than a year after the launch of its first Surface RT and Surface Pro tablets, Microsoft has launched the next iteration of its tablet family, including the Windows 8.1 RT-based Surface 2.
An update to Windows 8 is in the works, codenamed Windows Blue.
Dell's Latitude 10 is a Windows 8-based tablet that is aimed at business users who need touchscreen functionality within a Windows environment. It's not a very powerful tablet, but it's useful for running non-CPU-intensive apps and it should benefit field workers who need something simple with which to enter data. Its big draw cards are strong build quality, built-in ports, long battery life, and a battery that can also be easily swapped -- further increasing its field runtime.
It may not run a fast Core i5-based processor, but the ASUS VivoTab 810 and its Intel Atom CPU is a great choice for anyone who wants a lightweight Windows 8-based tablet with long battery life. It's an 11.6in model that can be used for basic Web browsing and multimedia consumption, and it even ships with a dock and a stylus so that it can be used for comfortable note-taking and other office tasks.
Samsung's Ativ Smart PC Pro 700T (XE700T1C-A02AU) is a Windows 8-based tablet that ships with a keyboard dock. It can be used either as a stand-alone tablet, or as a notebook if you need to do lots of typing.
Windows 8 may not be the easiest operating system to use, but no one can accuse it of being stingy. If you poke deep inside the new OS, you'll find a generous assortment of software tools, many of which make third-party utilities redundant.
Upgrading to a new operating system can be an intimidating undertaking that massively disrupts your daily workflow. And considering the dramatic interface changes introduced in Windows 8, you may not want to invest in Microsoft's latest OS without first giving it a thorough shakedown.
Toshiba's Satellite L850 is a 15.6in laptop that's designed primarily for home use. It's the type of laptop you should consider if you want something that can allow you to do a little bit of everything, including play games.
While the idea of the detachable keyboard dock remains innovative, the ASUS Vivo Tab RT has build quality issues, a cramped physical keyboard and the Windows RT platform is limited and often frustrating.
Microsoft has created a wonderful tablet in the Surface RT. It feels well made, it's light, it's highly usable and it contains things that many tablet users have considered to be essential elements for a great overall user experience, such as a built-in stand and expansion ports.
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Surface Pro 4
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- What if Windows 10 fails?
- Acer leads growth in PC shipments
- How to test-drive Windows 8 for free in VirtualBox
- HP's hardware boss not a fan of Surface, Windows RT
- Why isn't Microsoft's answer to Siri built into Windows 8?
PCW Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTData Conversion LeadNSW
- FTPMO Coordinator-Permanent Opportunity-Education/Government Background EssentialNSW
- FTTechnical Consultant MS Dynamics AXWA
- TPSAP Helpdesk SupportACT
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- CCTest AnalystWA
- TPDeployment Specialist (DevOps)QLD
- CCERP Business Analyst (Time Capture/ Management) - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCSenior Systems EngineerNSW
- TPIT Project ManagerNSW
- FTJava Developer/IntegratorACT
- TPOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- CCProject Manager (Event Management)NSW
- CCData Analyst - AutoHaulWA
- FTSenior Business Project ManagerNSW
- FTMicrosoft ProgrammerSA
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer - NetApp SpecialistNSW
- CCCloud Security Solutions Architect - Finance - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCTechnical Support AnalystACT
- TPSOE AdministratorQLD
- FTBranch Practice Manager - SecurityQLD
- TPTechnical ConsultantNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerACT
- CCTest Capability LeadNSW