Good Gear Guide Editor talks to Matt Summerill on 2UE's Smart Shopper radio show
Rear Projection TVs
Should you buy a UHD TV? What about OLED? Which ecosystem do I want to belong to? Will it work with my smart TV? Does size matter? All this and more answered in our comprehensive TV buying guide.
The energy consumption from communications technologies and consumer electronics devices, including computers, mobile phones, and televisions, could be reduced by more than 50 percent through the use of energy-efficient technologies that exist today.
From the cathode ray tube to plasma panels, LCD displays, 100Hz technology and the future of television tech
Samsung's biggest and most impressive DLP rear projection gets put through its paces by the GoodGearguide team.
No doubt you have heard of DLP, LCD and Plasma, but there is a dark horse in the industry capable of so much more but seldom used due to its low yield rates and manufacture cost. LCoS (Liquid Crystal on Silicon) is a hybrid of DLP and LCD technology, using the same liquid crystals as LCD, but in a reflective array like DLP. The technology requires three LCoS chips which are calibrated to meld at the lens point to create an image.
We have been pining for a DLP Rear Projection TV to come along and prove to us that DLP can look good. So far our sad and naive devotion to this dream has gone unrewarded. When setting up the Toshiba 62CM9UA we had almost given up hope but once we flicked it on, we were mightily impressed.
There is something oh so cool about enormous television sets. For most people a 52 inch TV is a little too big for a normal living room. For those who need the most impressive and ridiculously huge viewing experience available, living on the edge of excess with the LG 52sZ85R might be just the ticket.
In our review of the <a href=" http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/index.php/taxid;2136212662;pid;1311;pt;1" target="new">Hitachi 37" 8800TA LCD television</a> we talked about how disappointed we get when an attractive TV with a mountain of potential falls by the wayside due to a few unfortunate flaws. The Sagem HD-D45 is one such TV, a DLP rear projection with everything it needed to be great, only to be hamstrung by a poor choice of screen material and an atrociously under performing colour wheel.
Sagem are best known for their mobile phones, but has now also ventured into the home theatre market, releasing a series of TVs, including a 56" rear-projection TV (RPTV). We cannot stress the sheer size of this behemoth - at 56" (142 cm), the DLP-projection based Axium HD-D56B 56" RPTV is nothing short of gigantic.
While flat-panel displays like plasma and LCD tend to hog the limelight, there are other big-screen TV options that provide high-quality output without the sky-high price tags - namely, rear-projection television (RPTV). If your last encounter with RPTV was with one of those beastly, bulky things of days gone by then you'll undoubtedly be stunned by Sony's latest addition to its RPTV line-up, the Grand Wega.
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
PCW Evaluation Team
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- Subaru XV 2017 review
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTTechnical ConsultantACT
- CCCommunications Network EngineerWA
- FTInternal Recruitment | $36phVIC
- CCLightweight Directory Access Procol (LDAP) DeveloperNSW
- FTGIS Software DeveloperQLD
- FTHadoop Service AdministratorVIC
- FTJava Developer - Short team Contract @ CanberraACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Forecasting SASNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- FTDrupal Developer - SeniorQLD
- FTSenior Change Readiness ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Forecasting SASNSW
- CCOrganisational Change Analyst - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- TPBI & Report Developer (SQL Developer)QLD
- CCOracle WebLogic AdministratorNSW
- FTSAP Data Migration LeadNSW
- FTService Desk Operations AnalystNSW
- FTLooking for Information Security professional @ CanberraNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst - DSITIQLD
- CCSolution ManagerSA
- FTSolution Architect - StorageVIC
- FTReporting Analyst - HR / PayrollNSW
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst- Data GovernanceNSW