Should you buy a UHD TV? What about OLED? Which ecosystem do I want to belong to? Will it work with my smart TV? Does size matter? All this and more answered in our comprehensive TV buying guide.
Rear Projection TVs
The energy consumption from communications technologies and consumer electronics devices, including computers, mobile phones, and televisions, could be reduced by more than 50 percent through the use of energy-efficient technologies that exist today.
From the cathode ray tube to plasma panels, LCD displays, 100Hz technology and the future of television tech
Samsung's biggest and most impressive DLP rear projection gets put through its paces by the GoodGearguide team.
No doubt you have heard of DLP, LCD and Plasma, but there is a dark horse in the industry capable of so much more but seldom used due to its low yield rates and manufacture cost. LCoS (Liquid Crystal on Silicon) is a hybrid of DLP and LCD technology, using the same liquid crystals as LCD, but in a reflective array like DLP. The technology requires three LCoS chips which are calibrated to meld at the lens point to create an image.
We have been pining for a DLP Rear Projection TV to come along and prove to us that DLP can look good. So far our sad and naive devotion to this dream has gone unrewarded. When setting up the Toshiba 62CM9UA we had almost given up hope but once we flicked it on, we were mightily impressed.
There is something oh so cool about enormous television sets. For most people a 52 inch TV is a little too big for a normal living room. For those who need the most impressive and ridiculously huge viewing experience available, living on the edge of excess with the LG 52sZ85R might be just the ticket.
In our review of the <a href=" http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/index.php/taxid;2136212662;pid;1311;pt;1" target="new">Hitachi 37" 8800TA LCD television</a> we talked about how disappointed we get when an attractive TV with a mountain of potential falls by the wayside due to a few unfortunate flaws. The Sagem HD-D45 is one such TV, a DLP rear projection with everything it needed to be great, only to be hamstrung by a poor choice of screen material and an atrociously under performing colour wheel.
Sagem are best known for their mobile phones, but has now also ventured into the home theatre market, releasing a series of TVs, including a 56" rear-projection TV (RPTV). We cannot stress the sheer size of this behemoth - at 56" (142 cm), the DLP-projection based Axium HD-D56B 56" RPTV is nothing short of gigantic.
While flat-panel displays like plasma and LCD tend to hog the limelight, there are other big-screen TV options that provide high-quality output without the sky-high price tags - namely, rear-projection television (RPTV). If your last encounter with RPTV was with one of those beastly, bulky things of days gone by then you'll undoubtedly be stunned by Sony's latest addition to its RPTV line-up, the Grand Wega.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCProject Coordinator (Paying $400-$450 per day)NSW
- FTClient Engagement ManagerVIC
- CCICT Contracts ManagerSA
- CCContract IT Assistant (SQL/Windows7/8/10) 160901/AP/781Asia
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160901/P/601Asia
- FTBusiness Intelligence Team LeadVIC
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Developer - Brand NEW IoT ProjectNSW
- CCMS Access DeveloperNSW
- FTUnix Systems AdministratorNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160826/AP/972Asia
- CCProject Resource SpecialistVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Loutus Notes) 160815/SA/102Asia
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/HTML/PHP) 160819/P/733Asia
- CCInfrastructure Deployment ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Solutions Architect - SIEMVIC
- CCSystems Analyst (IT Security/Network & Systems) 160826/SA/652Asia
- CCAutomation ManagerNSW
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (IT Application/Web) 160825/AP/183Asia
- CCProject Manager - PCI DSS / IMACSQLD
- CCOracle/Java/Applications DeveloperACT
- CCJava DeveloperACT
- FTSAP BASIS HANA ConsultantNSW
- FTPrincipal Business Consultant- Wealth ManagementNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160822/AP/259Asia