At the IFA trade show, Samsung Electronics and Motorola Mobility aim to show that their smartwatches can compete with Apple, Sony needs to demonstrate that it's still a relevant smartphone manufacturer, and LG want to convince customers that it's time to buy a new TV.
The X9400C has an LED-backlit LCD panel that spans 75-inches. It supports ultra high definition (UHD) content with a resolution of 3840x2160, is powered by Sony’s X1 processor and it is backed by the company’s suite of proprietary technologies.
Should you buy a UHD TV? What about OLED? Which ecosystem do I want to belong to? Will it work with my smart TV? Does size matter? All this and more answered in our comprehensive TV buying guide.
LG’s 55EG960T is a 55-inch television that combines the holy trinity of emerging technologies. Along with its OLED panel, there is an ultra-high-definition (UHD, aka 4K) resolution and a curved form factor.
Firefox is the operating system found on Panasonic’s 2015 televisions, including the CX700A, a 60-inch smart television powered by a quad-core processor. It sits at the premium end of the range and is available as a 50-, 55- and 65-inch set.
The 65UF950T is an LED-backlit LCD television that supports the nascent ultra high definition resolution. Plenty of hype surrounds the UHD standard, as its 3840x2160 resolution crams 8.29 million pixels into a panel -- four times the amount found on a Full HD set.
Electronics maker Sharp is launching what it believes is the next phase in high-definition TVs with a 4K screen that can display imagery at 8K resolution, seen as the display standard to follow 4K.
The JS9500 is a curved Samsung UHD television offered in 65, 77 and 88-inch variants. It tops Samsung's 2015 range by introducing new nano-crystal technology for improved colours and brightness.
LG is placing as much importance on streaming content from Netflix as it is to broadcast TV in its new 4K OLED and LED TVs, which were announced on Tuesday.
LG is among the first in Australia to offer OLED TVs, and its curved 55-inch variant ranks among the best televisions we’ve tested.
Across Samsung’s entire television and audio range was one clear trend. Televisions, computer monitors, sound bars and even sound systems from Samsung will all curve on the basis of improved performance.
Samsung’s Internet of Things direction will be away from Android and towards Tizen as it hopes to ease its reliance on the Google-made operating system.
Soniq’s 55in Full HD television is one of the few models of this size that can be purchased for under $1000 ($999, specifically). It’s the type of TV to go for when you want bang for buck as far as picture size is concerned, and if picture quality isn’t of the utmost importance to you.
LG’s 65UB980T is a 65in TV that represents the latest upgrade path for home entertainment and home theatre pursuits: bigger screens with a lot more pixels. This 65in monster has an ultra-high definition (UHD) resolution, and it’s capable of putting on a good show for all types of content, including DVDs and Blu-ray discs. But the 4K resolution isn’t the only thing going for this TV; LG has re-vamped the smart TV interface using the webOS platform.
Panasonic has Samsung and LG in its sights as the company releases 22 televisions this year, of which none are plasma.The new range of televisions eschew plasma panels for those of the LED-backlit LCD variety, but representatives claim they benefit from “the learnings from its plasma business”.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Smartwatches, smartphones and TVs will vie for IFA spotlight
- Sharp's latest 4K TV adds yellow subpixel for 8K resolution
- Attention, binge watchers: New 4K TVs from LG are 'Netflix recommended'
- TVs are the linchpin in Samsung's Internet of Things future
- What you need to know about Samsung's 2014 TVs
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCSenior Deployment ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Contracts Officer/Procurement -Governmen BckgrndNSW
- FTSAP Basis ConsultantVIC
- CCSenior Agile Java/Spring/AngularJS EngineerNSW
- CCMicrosoft Business Intelligence (BI) ConsultantNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/J2EE/MyEclise) 160721/AP/vmpAsia
- FTAX Lead Technical ConsultantWA
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- FTBusiness Analyst - Temporary Fixed TermQLD
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Systems SpecialistNSW
- CCSoftware Developer- CobolACT
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- CCGuidewire Developer - Policy Center 8NSW
- CCEnvironment Support AnalystQLD
- CCProject Manager- Infrastructure and App Roles- Gov BackgroundNSW
- CCIP & Fixed Process Improvement SpecialistVIC
- FTUX DesignerVIC
- FTDesktop Specialist - Application PackagingACT
- FTSAP ESB Service Management SpecialistVIC
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- CCSystems AdministratorSA
- FTAX Lead Functional ConsultantWA
- FTSenior Business Analyst - InsuranceVIC