Microsoft will integrate Skype's calling features into many of its key products, including Office, the Xbox and its Windows Phone software, but it will it will also continue to offer Skype for competing platforms, CEO Steve Ballmer said Tuesday.
Phones & VOIP
Some iPad 2 users who expected a flawless product are instead finding a handful of problems with their shiny new tablets. The latest is a freezing issue with Facetime that can only be fixed by rebooting the iPad 2.
There's no denying that Skype is by far the most ubiquitous VoIP service today, but a new project launched this week aims to create an open source alternative.
Skype is looking toward developing markets for its mobile business as the popular voice-over-Internet Protocol service seeks to grow its presence in places where smartphone use is less common.
As technology evolves, many of the barriers that have traditionally limited telecommuting continue to disappear.
Prior to CES, there were only a handful of phones with front-facing cameras: the iPhone 4, the EVO 4G and the T-Mobile myTouch 4G to name a few. This year's CES was all about 4G, for sure, but video chat is definitely one of the apps carriers love to use as an example of how great the next generation of data speeds is.
Skype and other Internet phone services continue to operate in China days after media reports said the country's government was cracking down on them.
Vodafone Hutchison Australia (ASX: VHA) has apologised to customers for recent problems with its 3G network upgrade.
Microsoft today said makers of phones running its new Windows mobile operating system had sold 1.5 million handsets since the October launch of Windows Phone 7 (WP7).
Communications minister, Stephen Conroy, has proposed the terms of reference for a wide-ranging review of Australia's telecom and media regulation.
Blair Levin was the lead author of the US Government's version of the NBN, the National Broadband Plan, which has faced similar controversies and challenges. He talks to ARN about how wireless broadband is the future and why the Australian method may not be the best for promoting growth.
With the launch of Skype 5.0 this week, the PC-based voice over IP (VoIP) and messaging service is now integrated with the Facebook social network. While neither Skype, nor Facebook are typically considered business platforms, the combination of the two offer many of the benefits and features of unified communications on a budget that small and medium businesses can appreciate: free.
Skype may finally be available to all Android users after months of Verizon-only exclusivity, but so is FringOut, an alternative contender that offers many features Skype doesn't.
Most popular Android phones on the market utilise touchscreen keyboards, but HTC has seen fit to give Android a bit of QWERTY love with its Desire Z smartphone.
Telstra has promised a bug fix this Thursday to customers upset with the patchy performance of its T-Hub next-generation fixed telephone system.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Ballmer: Microsoft won't tie Skype to Windows
- Another iPad 2 problem: Glitchy Facetime
- GNU Free Call: An open source Skype alternative
- Skype looks to developing markets for growth
- Skype still operating in China despite reports of ban
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCTechnical PM - Magento E-Commerce SolutionNSW
- CCSenior IT Security Specialist-SANS, ISC2, ISACA, ITILNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (MS SQL Server/C#.NET)160520/AP/vmtAsia
- CCNetwork AdministratorWA
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperWA
- FTSolution ArchitectACT
- CCTIBCO Integration ConsultantVIC
- CCInfrastructure Business AnalystNSW
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Major exciting White Paper projectsACT
- CCDelivery Manager - Integration SpaceVIC
- CCSenior Project ManagerVIC
- CCData Migration Quality Manager- SAP ECCNSW
- CCMobile LI SMEVIC
- FTPeoplesoft CRM DeveloperWA
- CCProject Manager / Delivery Manager - TelcoNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerNSW
- CCVBA DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Programmer (Data Engineering)NSW
- FTVMWare Infrastructure EngineerVIC
- CCTest Analyst / Test LeadNSW
- FTSOE Operations SpecialistACT
- FTSenior Systems EngineerACT
- CCContract Programmer (HTML/JAVA/SQL) 160525/P/013Asia
- CCProgram Communications SpecialistVIC
- FTInfrastructure Specialist VMwareNSW