The Next-Gen PC Design Competition, sponsored by Microsoft, aimed to encourage designers to submit ideas for the future of personal computing. We show you the winners, and some close runner-ups with innovative ideas.
Notebooks & PCs
IBM, Los Alamos smash petaflop barrier.
For those who were wondering whether Microsoft's Surface tabletop touch-sensitive computers were going to be anything more than retail sales tools, here's an update: The Surface is making its debut as a bar coffee table in Las Vegas on 11 June.
From kid geek to the world's next great philanthropist?
The hottest news emerging from the Computex show in Taipei, Taiwan, is the looming ultraportable war and the battle of the processors.
A preview of what gizmos won't be appearing in future editions of tech magazine columns.
A desktop replacement notebook is perfect if you don't have the space for a fully fledged desktop setup, but today's desktop replacement notebooks are often much more than typical notebooks: in many cases they are complete entertainment systems, and are a perfect centrepiece for your lounge room. In this slideshow we'll show you five of the best home entertainment notebooks currently on the market.
Considering that the keyboard is the primary input device for most of the PCs ever made, it's amazing how many times manufacturers have gotten it completely, laughably wrong. After painstakingly reviewing scads of the most lacklustre keyboards, I systematically whittled them down to these ten all-time offenders, based on four factors: feel, layout, functionality and infamy. All of these machines date from the 1970s and 1980s, but don't get too comfortable — recently, Apple released a new keyboard for its iMac line that looks suspiciously like a Chiclet keyboard of old. While the verdict on that keyboard is still out, there's room for future additions to this list. Stay tuned...
Don't let hooligans handle your hardware. Here are eight ways to keep your notebook from being pinched -- or to get it back if it is stolen.
The budget ultraportable notebook market has been scorching hot since Asus launched its Eee PC 701 4G to wide acclaim. Now Hewlett-Packard has joined the fray with the HP 2133 "Mini-Note PC" starting from $899
If it's a home entertainment notebook you're lusting after, look no further than the latest offering from ASUS.
Acer's Aspire Gemstone Blue is the company's latest attempt at a notebook for the home market. It's got plenty of great features and it's relatively easy to use. Best of all: it won't break the bank.
Woz, Word and War Games
The Bug Labs BUG is a modular, open-source gadget that allows users to create their own combinations of plug-in modules, and then customise software to take advantage of the functionality offered.
Intel's 2Go PC is another upcoming entrant to the market of ultra-budget laptops, aimed at the education sector.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Microsoft beefs up its Surface Book and Surface Pro 4
- Microsoft plants flagship store on Sydney’s Pitt Street
- Acer launches four Chrome devices under $400
- Lenovo debuts Yoga Tablet 2 Pro with 13-inch screen and projector
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCBusiness Process Analyst - Supply ChainVIC
- CCTest AnalystACT
- FTSenior Portfolio Manager - IT ProjectsNSW
- CCOperations AnalystNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- CCSolution Architect - .NET TechnologiesNSW
- CCWeb DeveloperNSW
- FTJava Web Development OpportunityVIC
- CCIT Security EngineerNSW
- CCSystem TesterQLD
- CCiOS Developer - New AppNSW
- FTHelpdesk support - Level 1VIC
- FTJunior Project Manager | Permanent role in Canberra | NV1/2 clearedACT
- CCContract System Analyst (CISCO/SSLVPN/Firewall) 160211/SA/551Asia
- CCMultiple Senior Business Analyst opportunitiesSA
- CCRisk AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - NPPVIC
- FTFraud AnalystVIC
- FTJunior Developer | C#, MVC & SQL | Class FinanceNSW
- CCSharepoint AdministratorVIC
- FTMobile Designer / Developer - IOSNSW
- CCTechnical Lead - .NET TechnologiesNSW
- FTApplication Support AnalystVIC
- FTProject Support OfficerWA