The Next-Gen PC Design Competition, sponsored by Microsoft, aimed to encourage designers to submit ideas for the future of personal computing. We show you the winners, and some close runner-ups with innovative ideas.
Notebooks & PCs - Slideshows
IBM, Los Alamos smash petaflop barrier.
For those who were wondering whether Microsoft's Surface tabletop touch-sensitive computers were going to be anything more than retail sales tools, here's an update: The Surface is making its debut as a bar coffee table in Las Vegas on 11 June.
From kid geek to the world's next great philanthropist?
The hottest news emerging from the Computex show in Taipei, Taiwan, is the looming ultraportable war and the battle of the processors.
A preview of what gizmos won't be appearing in future editions of tech magazine columns.
A desktop replacement notebook is perfect if you don't have the space for a fully fledged desktop setup, but today's desktop replacement notebooks are often much more than typical notebooks: in many cases they are complete entertainment systems, and are a perfect centrepiece for your lounge room. In this slideshow we'll show you five of the best home entertainment notebooks currently on the market.
Considering that the keyboard is the primary input device for most of the PCs ever made, it's amazing how many times manufacturers have gotten it completely, laughably wrong. After painstakingly reviewing scads of the most lacklustre keyboards, I systematically whittled them down to these ten all-time offenders, based on four factors: feel, layout, functionality and infamy. All of these machines date from the 1970s and 1980s, but don't get too comfortable — recently, Apple released a new keyboard for its iMac line that looks suspiciously like a Chiclet keyboard of old. While the verdict on that keyboard is still out, there's room for future additions to this list. Stay tuned...
Don't let hooligans handle your hardware. Here are eight ways to keep your notebook from being pinched -- or to get it back if it is stolen.
The budget ultraportable notebook market has been scorching hot since Asus launched its Eee PC 701 4G to wide acclaim. Now Hewlett-Packard has joined the fray with the HP 2133 "Mini-Note PC" starting from $899
If it's a home entertainment notebook you're lusting after, look no further than the latest offering from ASUS.
Acer's Aspire Gemstone Blue is the company's latest attempt at a notebook for the home market. It's got plenty of great features and it's relatively easy to use. Best of all: it won't break the bank.
Woz, Word and War Games
The Bug Labs BUG is a modular, open-source gadget that allows users to create their own combinations of plug-in modules, and then customise software to take advantage of the functionality offered.
Intel's 2Go PC is another upcoming entrant to the market of ultra-budget laptops, aimed at the education sector.
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Surface Pro 4
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Microsoft beefs up its Surface Book and Surface Pro 4
- Microsoft plants flagship store on Sydney’s Pitt Street
- Acer launches four Chrome devices under $400
- Lenovo debuts Yoga Tablet 2 Pro with 13-inch screen and projector
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)NSW
- FTEnterprise Architect l Practice Manager - Archimate 3.0, eTOMNSW
- CCWindows AdministratorACT
- TPAnalyst Programmer (Adabas)SA
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperQLD
- TPDesktop Support OfficerQLD
- FTDigital Strategist - Global Consulting FirmACT
- CCProject Manager - Adelaide basedNSW
- CCDigital - Full Stack developer contract role - CollingwoodVIC
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectACT
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer -NetApp & TSMNSW
- CCUser Experience Designer - Part time - Short contractACT
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Developer with Strong SQL DevNSW
- FTTechnical Consultant MS Dynamics AXVIC
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectWA
- FTSenior Java Developers (Several positions available)QLD
- CCCyber Security ArchitectNSW
- FTApplication Support Analyst/DeveloperNSW
- TPPHP DeveloperVIC
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- TPChange AnalystQLD
- FTLife/400 Resource - PermanentNSW
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- CCCloud Solution Architect - Financial Services - Continuous IntegrationNSW
- FT.Net DeveloperVIC