Microsoft has offered to provide a choice of Web browsers with its upcoming Windows 7 operating system to ease concerns of competition regulators in the European Union, the EU's competition authority confirmed Friday.
Software and Services
Microsoft's revenue declined 17 percent and net income declined 29 percent year over year in its fiscal 2009 fourth quarter due to continued weakness in global sales of PCs and servers, the company reported Thursday.
Code that Microsoft released Monday for the Linux kernel under the General Public License version 2 (GPLv2) was in violation of that license before Microsoft made it available, according to an open-source network engineer.
Microsoft's plan to "sandbox" Office documents in the next version of its application suite is an admission that the company can't keep hackers from exploiting file format bugs, a security analyst said today.
The much-maligned Windows Vista operating system runs on almost one out of eight corporate desktops 28 months after its release, according to a Forrester Research report released today.
Although even the best-connected users can't get their hands on Windows 7's final code until Aug. 6, people willing to pirate the new operating system can download it today from several file-sharing sites, searches show.
As anticipated, Microsoft this afternoon announced that it had finished work on Windows 7, declaring that the new operating system had met the "release to manufacturing" (RTM) milestone.
Microsoft has announced this afternoon that Windows 7 has been released to manufacturing. In other words, Windows 7 development has wrapped up, and it'll now go on to PC manufacturers so they can prepare for October's Windows 7 launch.
Microsoft has made its second release under the General Public License in two days with software for the open-source online learning system Moodle.
Microsoft on Tuesday detailed upgrade paths from old Windows editions to its upcoming Windows 7 OS, saying that Europeans will not be able to directly upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7.
Microsoft on Tuesday detailed how its partners and business customers can get their hands on Windows 7 RTM (release to manufacturing) code, which will be available next month on different days for different sets of users.
Adobe has acknowledged that some users are vulnerable to attack after downloading an outdated version of Reader from its Web site, and said it is now reevaluating how it updates the popular PDF reader.
Microsoft today updated Office 2008 for Mac to Service Pack 2 (SP2), adding a tool that beefs up access to documents stored on enterprise SharePoint servers and Microsoft's free Office Live Workspace service.
In an historic move, Microsoft Monday submitted driver source code for inclusion in the Linux kernel under a GPLv2 license.
Windows 7 and Microsoft's new search engine, Bing, will be under close watch when the company reports its financial earnings this week.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update
- PowerDVD 16 gains 360-degree video playback: Here's how it works
- Microsoft will miss its one billion Windows 10 device target
- Google is working to make every website viewable in VR
- Twitter's new stickers are more useful than Snapchat
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTBusiness Intelligence - Policy and Governance ManagerNSW
- CCIT Security ArchitectVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Project OfficerACT
- CCService Lead - Cloud hosting and storageNSW
- CCPeoplsoft Technical SupportACT
- CCSQL DeveloperNSW
- CCProject Manager- Radio CommunicationsVIC
- CCDatabase AdministratorNSW
- CCSAP BW Hana DeveloperVIC
- CCChange Portfolio ManagerNSW
- FTPortfolio Project Governance AnalystNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorACT
- FTSystems Applications ManagerACT
- CCSystems AdministratorSA
- CCOracle Pl/SQL DeveloperNSW
- CCProject Engineer -VIC
- FTOPEN_ASAP_Configuration ManagerACT
- FTIT Helpdesk (Microsoft)NSW
- CCSenior Agile Java/Spring/AngularJS EngineerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE) 160721/AP/075Asia
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- CCOracle Identity and Access Management Specialist-11Gr2 productsNSW
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT