The turbulent economy could hinder enterprise adoption of Windows 7, even though many companies opted to skip Windows Vista and are still running the outdated Windows XP OS, analysts said.
Software and Services
Microsoft changed the default settings of one of its most important security features for Windows 7 because users balked at clicking more than two prompts a day, a company executive said Thursday.
Microsoft may do the unthinkable with Danger, the mobile software and services developer it purchased last year: Go open source.
Mozilla Corp. has patched seven security vulnerabilities in Firefox, two of them labeled "critical," in the browser's first update for 2009.
Microsoft Tuesday confirmed that it will sell what it calls "upgrades" for Windows 7 to users running the aged Windows XP operating system.
While it plans to focus on marketing two versions of Windows 7, Microsoft will offer six editions of its next operating system to better satisfy PC makers and end users, an executive said this week.
In 10 weeks, Microsoft will begin to retire Windows XP by shifting the seven-year-old OS into a more limited support plan.
Microsoft has ramped up a new Windows support assistant nearly three months after it quietly debuted the automatic repair and configuration tool.
Internet telephony software company Skype is pushing ahead with videoconferencing in a bigger way with the release of version 4.0 for Windows, but the company is yet to standardise its releases for Linux and Mac OS X.
Dory and Marlin would likely have had an easier time finding Nemo if the new version of Google Earth was around at the time.
Microsoft's Internet Explorer (IE) again lost market share last month, although at a slower rate than the previous two-month stretch, but still ended at a new low of 67.6% as rivals continued to steal users, a Web metrics firm reported Sunday.
Microsoft is denying that there is a security hole in the User Account Control (UAC) feature of Windows 7 after a blogger reported it last week and posted what he said was a fix for it.
Although the beta of Windows 7 quickly grabbed one-tenth of 1% of the operating system market share last month, Microsoft's OS continued its downward trend, a Web measurement company reported Sunday.
A change that Microsoft made in Windows 7 to improve its controversial User Account Control security feature has left the new OS less secure, according to a blogger who follows Microsoft closely.
Microsoft is warning customers that tools for blocking automatic upgrades to the newest service packs of Windows Vista and Windows XP will expire in the coming months.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- May the Fourth be with you: 4 Star Wars tech tributes you can actually use
- Opera pulls trigger on baked-in ad blocker
- Windows 10 migration: At least it's not like last time
- How Microsoft is building on Windows 10, and why developers care
- Google Chrome dethrones Internet Explorer to become undisputed browser champion
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCL3 - Network Design and Support EngineerNSW
- FTSenior DBA / Team LeadVIC
- CCProject Specialist - Contact Center and Unified CommunicationsVIC
- CCHyperion ConsultantNSW
- CCAdobe Experience Manager AEM / CQ5 DeveloperNSW
- FTTechnical Lead (Guidewire Policy Center)NSW
- CCSolution Architect / Data ArchitectNSW
- CCJava Developer / DevOps | FINEOS Application | Long Term ContractNSW
- FTTechnical LeadNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst, Loyalty projectsNSW
- CCServiceNow / SACM ConsultantNSW
- CCMarketing Communications Specialist - Global IT CompanyNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectVIC
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCMid Range Developer (Senior .NET Developer)QLD
- FTTechnical Business Analyst - BINSW
- CCEnvironment AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Enterprise Architect - eCommerceVIC
- FTTechnology Risk ManagerNSW
- CCTechnical WriterACT
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- CCAccount Manager - Software Solutions - Global IT CompanyNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - HealthcareVIC
- FTAGILE Training Manager/CoachNSW