Qnap’s TVS-471 is the type of network attached storage (NAS) device that you could sit down and play with for days. It has functions that make it suitable for serious business, home storage, and entertainment tasks. It can be the centre of your life if you allow it.
Servers & Storage
The accessibility of locally stored files over the Internet can be of great convenience to many small business users, but the task of doing so without using a third-party service such as Dropbox isn’t always straightforward unless you have some networking know-how. Many NAS devices are making it easier, though, thanks to automatic Cloud configuration options, and desktop and mobile apps that are a cinch to use. WD’s My Cloud DL2100 is such a NAS device.
If you ask Seagate, network attached storage (NAS) devices are no longer IT-driven, but instead crossing over to the mainstream. For this reason, it makes sense that NAS devices for home office users and families be easy to install and maintain. The Seagate NAS (which is as matter-of-factly named as any tech product on the Aussie market) attempts to be simplistic both in terms of the way the drives are set up, and in the way it can be configured.
Promise Technology’s NS6700 NAS device is a solidly built unit that’s designed for serious data storage and backup operations. It’s not as obviously resplendent with features as other NAS devices we’ve seen recently; for example, you have to dig around a little before you find things such as plug-ins, but that just means the unit is more focused to the main tasks of storing and protecting your data.
Seagate's Business Storage 2-Bay NAS is network storage at its most sincere. It's a product that isn't high in 'wow' factor when you compare it to the likes of Asustor, Qnap or Synology, but it's serviceable as a repository for backups and any files that your want to share across your local network and beyond.
Portable hard drives with fantastical speed ratings have now hit the market from both WD and Seagate. In Seagate's case, its Backup Plus Fast has a massive capacity of 4TB, and it aims to please PC users by providing faster than 200MBps transfers over USB 3.0. Find out how.
With the My Passport Pro, WD is aiming at users who require a fast portable hard drive, yet also a very high capacity drive to deal with large amounts of data. It has achieved both speed and capacity by putting two hard drives in the same enclosure and running them in a RAID 0 array. The connection interface is Thunderbolt and the drive is formatted out of the box for Mac users.
The beauty of Asustor’s AS-202TE NAS device is in its operating system. It provides a desktop-like environment that allows you to accomplish things much in the same way you would if using a regular computer. In fact, you could use this network attached storage device even without a computer, just by logging in with your phone, or even connecting it to your TV and attaching input peripherals directly.
WD's My Cloud EX4 is a 4-bay, network attached storage (NAS) device that's aimed at those of you who work in a small office or home office environment, and, specifically, at those of you who might not have otherwise considered getting a NAS device. You may have also noticed the word 'cloud' in the product name. This refers to the drive's ability to be your own 'personal cloud' storage.
The next version of the USB connector will accept the plug either way up, the USB 3.0 Promoter Group said Tuesday.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
- Akitio's combines two speedy technologies in blazing external SSD
- Intel claims storage supremacy with swift 3D XPoint Optane drives, 1-petabyte 3D NAND
- Intel's new super-fast SSDs feature 3D NAND
- Samsung begins shipping redonkulous 15.36TB SSD
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSolutions Architect - Network and InfrastructureNSW
- CCAccount Manager - Software Solutions - Global IT CompanyNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystSA
- CCICT Transformation Project Manager- University, Education bckgNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - ICT SecurityNSW
- FTSupplier Relationship ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Project Manager, SoftwareNSW
- FTJunior Inside Sales Rep | National systems integrator & MSP | $60-70K+NSW
- FTBA/Technical Project Manager/Product ManagerQLD
- FTSolution Delivery Manager ( RTTM)NSW
- FTProduction ConsultantVIC
- CCSenior ICT Project OfficerACT
- FTSoftware Design Engineer (Embedded Software)SA
- CCEnterprise Architect (Security)NSW
- FTDesktop SupportNSW
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCSales Development Executive - Flexible Working HoursNSW
- CCTechnical WriterACT
- CCSiebel AnalystACT
- CCJava Developer- 12 month contractNSW
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerVIC
- CCContract Programmer (Crystal Report/HTML/SQL) 160428/P/244Asia
- CCInfrastructure Assurance OfficerACT
- CCMessaging EngineerNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence ConsultantSA