Toshiba Corporation has announced that Toshiba Group will implement a series of management measures under a Toshiba Revitalization Action Plan. This plan will include reducing its headcount by 6800, about 30 per cent of its global total.
Servers & Storage
SSDs have seen four straight quarters of 10% or greater price drops, leading one analyst to predict that they will near price parity with hard drives in the next two years.
Flash memory product company, Lexar, has announced two additions to its mobile USB 3.0 flash drive line: the Lexar JumpDrive M20c and the Lexar JumpDrive M20i.
Seagate today announced its first laptop drive that can store 2TB of data using just two platters, allowing the company to manufacture them in a 7mm-high form factor.
Irish rockers, U2, are continuing to innovate in their use of video on the current Innocence + Experience tour, and behind the scenes is some extremely high-performance, all-flash technology.
Samsung today announced what it is calling the first multi-terabyte consumer solid-state drive (SSD), which will offer 2TB of capacity in a 2.5-in. form factor for laptops and desktops.
Qnap’s TVS-471 is the type of network attached storage (NAS) device that you could sit down and play with for days. It has functions that make it suitable for serious business, home storage, and entertainment tasks. It can be the centre of your life if you allow it.
If you’ve ever wanted a flash drive that can be used on both Android and iOS devices, the PhotoFast iFlash Evo Plus is for you. It’s a 16-128GB stick (we’re looking at the 16GB here) that contains not only full-sized USB 3.0, but also micro-USB and Lightning connections.
We’ve seen wireless drives from the likes of Seagate and Western Digital before, both of which allow you to connect mobile devices so that you can access more content than you would otherwise be able to while on the road. This little Qnap QGenie that we’re reviewing here is also a wireless drive, but it packs a few more functions that make it a rather cool gadget for any tech enthusiast’s bag.
The accessibility of locally stored files over the Internet can be of great convenience to many small business users, but the task of doing so without using a third-party service such as Dropbox isn’t always straightforward unless you have some networking know-how. Many NAS devices are making it easier, though, thanks to automatic Cloud configuration options, and desktop and mobile apps that are a cinch to use. WD’s My Cloud DL2100 is such a NAS device.
Highly mobile external storage devices with great capacities are usually in the form of 2.5in hard drives. They are chunky, usually ugly, and mostly slow. Samsung’s Portable SSD T1 aims to change all that. It’s a solid state drive that’s available in capacities similar to traditional portable drives, but it’s the antithesis of the portable storage you are perhaps used to, instead offering very fast performance, as well as a dash of style.
The advent of streaming music services, and more recently of video on demand services (SVOD) in Australia such as Netflix, Stan, and Presto, has put a lot of audio and video content within fingertip reach. You can access it whenever you want, without you having to worry about the amount of storage space in your computing device. But not everyone has the ability to stream, and local storage is still as important as ever for backups. Here's our guide on the best storage solution for your data storage problem.
Looking at the design of the Personal Cloud Home Media Storage drive, it’s clear that Seagate thinks it should reside right near your TV in your home entertainment unit. It looks as if it’s a set-top box or PVR rather than a traditional NAS device, and we think it’s a refreshing change of pace compared to the more upright NAS designs that we’re used to seeing.
The metal styling of the Seagate Seven gives this portable, 2.5in hard drive an interesting look and feel compared to most other drives. It’s not just a regular rectangle. Instead it has a somewhat sculpted design that is made to look like a bare internal hard drive, but without the exposed circuit board.
SanDisk has managed to cram 200GB of memory into a MicroSD card. The new card is a 56 percent jump on the current highest capacity MicroSD, a 128GB card.
These are the top rated storage products we've tested in the last year.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Toshiba to cut 6800 jobs, focus on storage and energy
- WD ships world's first 10TB helium-filled hard drive
- Consumer SSDs and hard drive prices are nearing parity
- Lexar launches new USB JumpDrives
- Dell agrees to acquire EMC for US$67 billion
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCSenior Visual DesignerNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence AnalystVIC
- FTHelpdesk support - Level 1VIC
- FTSenior Java DeveloperNSW
- CCOrganisational Change AnalystQLD
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTNetwork Engineer | NV2 clearance | Military jets, subs, bases and networksACT
- FTJava Web Development OpportunityVIC
- FTSecurity ArchitectWA
- CCTechnical Business Analyst (Telecommunications) / Melb CBDVIC
- FTSystems Administrator/Engineer | Projects & BAU | Coastal Newcastle NSWWA
- CCCisco Program Manager - Data Centre/Security ImplementationNSW
- CCiOS Developer - New AppNSW
- FTProject Manager | Permanent position | NV1 NV2 cleared | Defence | Great cultureACT
- FTWintel EngineerACT
- FTSenior Portfolio Manager - IT ProjectsNSW
- CCSharePoint Web DeveloperACT
- FTTeam Lead ITIL- Permanent OpportunityVIC
- CCMaster SchedulerVIC
- FTUI DeveloperNSW
- FTNetwork Engineer | NV2 clearance | Defence projects | Immediate interviewACT
- CCService ModellerNSW
- CCAngularJS DeveloperNSW