Symantec's Norton AntiVirus ($60 for a one-year, single-PC license) offers some terrific extra features and a polished user interface. But subpar performance in one detection category prevented it from capturing the top spot in our chart of stand-alo...
McAfee's whitelisting protection for Windows, Linux, and Solaris is a software tool that allows network admins to restrict users' ability to mess up their own PCs - McAfee Application Control 5.0.
Western Digital's refreshed My Book Elite 2TB external hard drive offers intuitive backup options, 256-bit AES hardware encryption, and an e-ink capacity indicator. However, there are faster USB 2.0-based external hard drives that have passed through...
It has been more than a year-and-a-half since I last reviewed an IronKey secure USB flash drive, so when the company sent one my way with a few new features I jumped at the chance to see if there had been any major improvements over the last version ...
WatchGuard's Firebox Peak X5500e is a strong, manageable firewall and the fastest in our test, but complexity and weak attack protection hold it back
The Ad-Aware series of products have long been known primarily for Ad-Aware Free, a famous and free piece of anti-spyware software.
Western Digital's My Passport Essential SE is currently the only portable external hard drive to boast a whopping 1TB of storage space. Despite this, it is one of the smallest hard drives around and it is quite speedy, too.
Take a quick glance at the just-released Norton Internet Security 2010, and you won't notice much of a difference from previous incarnations — the interface and feature set are so similar that it appears that only very minimal changes have been...
Comodo Internet Security, the free version of Comodo Internet Security Pro, comprises both a firewall and an antivirus utility.
AVG Technology's AVG 8.5 Anti-Virus Free antivirus app has solid features and a generally polished interface, but its relatively lacklustre showing at malware detection is a disappointment.
PC Tools Threatfire 4.5 is a free behaviour-based antivirus utility that serves as a great supplement to your existing security software, offering superb behaviour-based detection.
ClamWin Free Antivirus stands apart from other free antivirus software because it's open-source, with no proprietary or commercial aspects. But in the essential task of blocking malware, it doesn't get the job done.
Avira AntiVir Personal's excellent malware detection, disinfection, and scan speed earned it the top spot in our ranking of free antivirus software. Its interface could be better, though, and using the app means putting up with daily pop-up ads.
Alwil Avast Antivirus Home Edition, developed in the Czech Republic, offers capable malware detection and faster-than-average scan speed, both of which helped propel the app to the number two spot in our rankings of free antivirus software. Its clunk...
Unlike the excellent Threatfire, PC Tools Antivirus Free Edition, which neglects to detect spyware, allows far too many pieces of malware through for it to realistically protect any PC.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Valve cleverly battles Steam cheaters with two-factor authentication
- New USB-C authentication spec protects against malware and shoddy chargers
- Porn clicker runs rampant Google Play
- Old malware rears its ugly head in new attacks: ESET
- Cyber criminals hack Netflix: Symantec
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Prince2 & PMBoK shop | Huge project pipelineACT
- CCDigital Project ManagerNSW
- CCProject Coordinator (urgent) - Digital - Blue chip companyNSW
- FTProduct Owner - MarketingNSW
- CCLead Administrator - Network and SecurityNSW
- CCAdobe Experience Manager AEM / CQ5 DeveloperNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTDesktop Support Technician - onsite Corporate officesVIC
- CCProgram Technical Director- Migration to SAP HR PayrollNSW
- CCInfrastructure Assurance OfficerACT
- CCEnvironment AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Frontend DeveloperNSW
- FTSupport AnalystQLD
- FTManager; Enterprise ArchitectureNSW
- CCSr. Net DeveloperVIC
- FTSystem testersACT
- CCSolution ArchitectVIC
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - HealthcareVIC
- FTTechnical LeadNSW
- FTTechnical Writer - Sydney BasedNSW
- CCSAP BASIS ConsultantVIC
- CCProject CoordinatorVIC
- CCService Desk OperatorACT
- FTLevel 2 IT Field Systems Engineer/Administrator - Multiple opportunitiesNSW