The entertainment company also updated its flagship home-theater A/V receiver.
Home Theatre Projectors
BenQ claims the W1070+ can produce better colour quality than the current leading model, Epson’s EH-TW5200, with the company going as far as conducting a side-by-side comparison.
Panasonic has a solid history in the 1080p home theatre projector market, constantly evolving since the original $7700 PT-AE1000 from 2007. The PT-AE8000 is an incremental upgrade from the early-2012 PT-AE7000, significantly increasing overall brightness while maintaining and improving the already-excellent contrast and colour capabilities of its 3LCD panel setup.
If you don’t want a big-screen TV in your living room, or if you’ve got a dedicated home cinema room, then buying a home theatre projector is a smart way to use your money. Home theatre projectors can run into the tens of thousands of dollars, though, and competition in the cheaper end of the market is fierce.
The Acer H9500BD is one of the more affordable Full HD 3D home theatre projectors on the market, but that doesn’t stop it from packing in a comprehensive suite of features and displaying surprisingly vivid, bright and detailed picture quality. We think it’s an absolute bargain.
The Sharp XVZ-30000 is the company’s top home theatre projector, with the other prospect being the cheaper XVZ-17000. The XVZ-30000 stands up to other high-end home theatre projectors like the BenQ W7000 and Panasonic PT-AE7000, with great picture quality and some convenient features included.
The Panasonic PT-AE7000 is a home theatre projector with a bright, efficient 2000 lumen lamp and a 3D-capable 1080p Full HD LCD panel, with a rated contrast ratio of 3,000,000:1. These specifications sound impressive, and that’s because they are: the AE7000 is an excellent performer.
The BenQ W7000 is a home theatre projector that’s a few hundred dollars cheaper than its direct competitors, but with picture quality and features to match or better them. We found its image quality excellent, with only a few problems disrupting our experience with it.
The Panasonic PT-AR100E is a projector aimed at the same market that buys big-screen TVs like the 65in Panasonic VT30A, the 60in Sharp LE835X (and its 70in LE735X counterpart), and the 65in Sony HX925. It’s designed to be used in your living room, whether you’ve got the lights on or not -- with a lamp that’s rated at a bright 2800 lumens, it can handle displaying a movie when your living room is well lit.
The BenQ SP890 is a Full HD 1080p multimedia projector that's equally at home displaying slideshows and stock reports as it is with Blu-ray movies. Its high brightness level makes it a good choice for boardroom presentations, but good contrast detail and black levels means it can deliver high quality movie playback relatively easily. We did notice a few image quality flaws with some movie titles, but a casual user will easily be impressed by the SP890's versatility.
The Sanyo PLV-Z800 is an entry-level 1080p home theatre projector with a quoted contrast ratio of 10,000:1 and ANSI brightness of 1200 lumens. It needs a dimly lit room to really shine, but we were impressed by its performance given its price.
InFocus' ScreenPlay SP8602 home theatre projector is a 1080p Full HD installation model with 1300 lumens and a 30,000:1 contrast ratio. Its mediocre specifications belie its all-round excellent video performance, with incredible levels of detail and seamless, smooth colour gradation in even the most demanding Blu-ray video.
Panasonic revealed a loss of US$4bn for the 2008 financial year.
ViewSonic Corporation has announced the launch of its new ultra-bright DLP projector, the PJD5111, with enhanced network and multimedia capabilities. It has a native 800 x 600 SVGA resolution and projects with an intensity of 2500 lumens.
Epson has released two new 1080p home entertainment projectors.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Sony’s new liquid-cooled 4K home video projector delivers 5000 lumens of brightness, costs $60,000
- BenQ targets Epson with revamped home entertainment projectors
- Panasonic reports $4bn loss
- ViewSonic unveils new compact projector - the PJD5111
- Epson EH-TW5000 and EH-TW4000 projectors launched
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCWindows EngineerVIC
- CCSAP ArchitectSA
- CCSenior Business Analyst/Designer, Funds ManagementNSW
- FTJr .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Security Specialist - McAfeeVIC
- CCData Centre Solutions Architect - Red Hat, Wintel & VMware - CanberraACT
- CCPMO Project AdministratorNSW
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- CCProgram SchedulerVIC
- CCTechnical WriterACT
- FTProject ManagerACT
- CCProject Manager, Infrastructure Migration, AWS CloudNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/JBoss/SQL) 160831/AP/994Asia
- CCProgram CoordinatorVIC
- CCMurex Developers x 2NSW
- FTDigital Product Owner | Advertising Technology | SearchNSW
- FTFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Loutus Notes) 160815/SA/102Asia
- CCDesktop Support AnalystSA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Crystal Report/JAVA) 160816/AP/vhsAsia
- CCSolution Architect - WMS/LogisticsVIC
- FTSenior Front End Developer (UX/UI)SA
- CCProject Manager - PCI DSS / IMACSQLD
- FTProject Administrator (Agile)WA
- CCSystem Analyst - NetIQNSW