There are better options on the market than Brother's MFC-490CW multifunction printer, despite it offering accurate colour printing and good network connectivity.
Printers & Imaging
Fuji Xerox's Phaser 3125/N isn't the prettiest of printers. Thankfully, it makes up for this with quick printing and decent quality. It is a step up from bargain bin monochrome laser printers.
Tame your Outlook email with this free add-on to organise your inbox
Digital Postman Pro is a straightforward program that allows you to put a document on your scanner (or load one from your hard disk), and then email it.
Dell's 3130cn Colour Laser Printer is a near-perfect starter printer for a small office or workgroup. It's extremely capable on all counts, and it has room to grow.
If A4 paper just isn't big enough, then Brother's MFC-6490CW might just be your next multifunction printer. It isn't the best or fastest A3 printer available, but the combination of features and its low running cost make it a tempting buy.
Brother's MFC-990CW has all the features and gadgetry anyone will ever need from a device the size of two stacked Yellow Pages. Just don't expect it to print quickly or at the best possible quality.
The HP ScanJet N6310 is a flatbed document scanner
Bullzip is an excellent free PDF printer tool
HP's Colour LaserJet CP2025dn is a mid-range printer with a small stature and fast print speeds. Photos won't dry properly when printed on glossy media, but for matte in-house marketing materials the printer is a viable choice.
There are number of good CD/DVD label designers on the market, but Acoustica CD/DVD Label Maker is a cut above in terms of flexibility, learning curve, and ease of use.
The Dell 2130cn is an affordable and quite competent colour laser printer that can be directly connected to a PC using a USB port or plugged into a network thanks to its Ethernet adapter.
Canon's PIXMA MP980 multifunction is a refresh of its predecessor, the PIXMA MP970. This model adds an automatic document feeder, but slower print speeds and lower capacity ink cartridges ultimately make it an uninspiring product.
The Dell 2135cn's main selling point is its initial price point. Beyond this, unfortunately, there isn't much to get excited about. While the unit offers reasonable functionality and good scan quality, numerous shortcomings make it an average multifu...
Canon's PIXMA MP480 offers a good compromise between quality and price. It certainly isn't the fastest of printers, but its consistency and print quality are well worth the few extra dollars it costs over competitors.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Adidas to 3D print custom insoles in sneakers
- MIT builds a 3D printer that can use 10 materials at once
- HP’s $69 Deskjet printer makes more efficient use of ink tanks
- HP LaserJets use a new type of toner particle that can improve energy efficiency and print speed
- da Vinci 1.0 AiO: the world’s first personal 3D scanner and printer is coming to Australia
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CC.NET DeveloperACT
- CCTechnical Lead - .NET TechnologiesNSW
- FTApplications Architect/ Pre-sales (Microsoft Applications)WA
- CCEXCEL Guru / Data AdministratorNSW
- FTInsight / Customer - Data ScientistNSW
- CCProject AdvisorNSW
- CCContract System Analyst (MSSQL/.Net/Mobile App) 160122/SA/vhaAsia
- FTBusiness Intelligence AnalystVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer(Crystal Report/Oracle)160127/AP/vhsAsia
- FTSenior Java DeveloperNSW
- CCProject SchedulerVIC
- FTJava Full Stack Developer - MelbourneVIC
- CCSharePoint AdministratorACT
- FTBusiness Analyst - Superannuation FundVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - NPPVIC
- CCSenior Project Manager, Research Data ProjectNSW
- CCJava Development Contract - MelbourneVIC
- CCSAP CRM Specialist- ABAPACT
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- FTIT Cyber Security Requirements ConsultantACT
- FTWintel EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Mobile Developer - IOSNSW
- CCObjective ECMS Technical ConsultantSA
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Enterprise Software SolutionNSW