Disney has filed a patent for a new 3D printing technique that uses high-intensity light to harden resin into a shape in a single process, unlike traditional 3D printing that uses a layer-by-layer approach.
Printers & Imaging
According to HP, the two main reasons people don’t use their printers is the cost and running out of ink. HP has come up with a novel solution to the issue with their Instant Ink program.
Seeking to exploit a “late mover advantage” HP says they will be entering the 3D printer market during the third quarter for 2016 with models shipping by the end of 2016. They say they have held back from entering the market until they felt the company had a “significant market advantage”.
A Silicon Valley start-up has launched a 3D printer that is capable of manufacturing limited product runs of up to 45,000 units, making it one of the first machines of its kind on a factory floor.
HP has announced the arrival of 15 new laser and inkjet printers at an Asia Pacific launch event held in Macau.
The 3D printing industry topped $US5.1 billion in sales last year, a 26 per cent uptick over the previous year, much of it due to a marked increase in industrial machines.
Instead of using small replaceable ink cartridges, the Epson Workforce ET-4550 houses individual ink tanks on the side of the printer. Bundled with the Epson Workforce ET-4550 are the necessary ink bottles. (Black/Cyan/Magenta/Yellow) for multiple years of printing.
Adidas has announced Futurecraft 3D, a 3D-printed running shoe midsole that can be tailored to the cushioning needs of an individual’s foot.
MIT has built a 3D printer that can print with multiple materials and has an integrated machine vision system for self-calibration of print heads, 3D scanning and a closed-feedback loop to enable print corrections.
Cheap-as-chips all-in-one printers are not a new concept. Nor is the task of paying more for ink than the printer is worth. It’s how the manufacturers make their money on these products. But what is new with HP’s DeskJet 3630 all-in-one printer is the ability to run in ‘single cartridge’ mode.
No one ever talks about scanners these days. At least not typical consumers, who often make do with the built-in scanner on a multifunction centre. However, for business users, a dedicated scanner can come in handy, especially when it's of the calibre of Brother's PDS-5000.
The Canon Maxify MB5360 presents itself as a classy looking all-in-one printer with a compact footprint and plenty of versatility. You can use USB, Ethernet, or Wi-Fi to hook it up in your small (or home) office, or you can make use of Wi-Fi direct or Cloud services and apps to print from mobile devices and remote locations. The print technology is inkjet, the recommended output is 1000 pages per month, and the overall efficiency of the printer is quite high.
The Officejet 8620 is an inkjet-based, multifunction colour printer that is aimed at offices. We're talking about home offices or offices with a small workgroup, and offices that typically do a volume between 250-1500 pages per month.
The relatively compact size of HP's LaserJet M277dw is a little misleading. It's a laser-based multifunction colour printer with a gutful of new tech that aims to make it a more efficient performer in terms of speed and energy consumption. It's also heavier than it looks, so you'll probably need four arms and legs to move it from its box to its final resting place in your office.
The cost of laser printers has come down dramatically over the years, making it more of an easy purchase than it used to be. For students and those just setting up a new home office, this means a mass printing device can be bought for very little initial outlay. However, the initial cost is often so low that it clouds the true ongoing running costs of the printer.
These printers from the last 12 months are deserving of our Editor's Choice award.
These are the best multifunction printers you can buy from the last 12 months.
These printers are the best value for money we've seen in the last 12 months.
These are the best cheap printers you can buy from the last 12 months.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Disney files patent for near instantaneous 3D printing
- Never run out of printer ink with HP Instant Ink
- HP to launch 3D printers this year
- This 3D printer can rival standard manufacturing on the factory floor
- HP's new printers move the paper not the ink
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantVIC
- FTTechnical Lead (Guidewire Policy Center)NSW
- CCApplication Migration ArchitectACT
- FTOIM Specialist- Oracle Identity and Access Management 11Gr2NSW
- FTVendor Manager / Team Lead - ITIL / ITSMVIC
- CCSenior Master Data OfficerNSW
- CCProduct SpecialistVIC
- CCContract Contract Junior Programmer (JUD-16493-4)Asia
- CCEnvironment ManagerVIC
- CCSAP BW developerVIC
- CCSenior DevOps ConsultantVIC
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160505/AP/951Asia
- CCIT Network SpecialistVIC
- CCAnalyst Programmer (JAVA/Windows Programming) 160428/AP/143Asia
- FTTechnology Risk ManagerNSW
- FTGentrack ConsultantVIC
- CCMid or Senior Developer - Mobile Applications - (iOS)NSW
- CCUAT Test AnalystWA
- CCProject Specialist - Contact Center and Unified CommunicationsVIC
- CCPortfolio Manager - Customer Service SystemVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- CCSQL DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior UX/UI DesignerNSW
- CC.NET Developer (Application production Support)NSW