The latest desktop and server editions of the free, open-source Ubuntu Linux operating system will be released on Thursday. They will offer a range of improvements designed for their particular users.
Servers & Storage
Sun offered informational updates Monday on several ongoing efforts in the open-source arena, including product plans for the OpenSolaris version of the Solaris OS, Java, and the GlassFish application server.
Hitachi unveiled a new technology that it said can be used to cut the size of hard disk drive recording heads in half, which would dramatically boost storage capacity.
Climate change is both a large-scale crisis and a huge opportunity, and IT has a role in both, industry executives said at a panel discussion this week.
New FlashMate hybrid hard drive technology has been introduced that allows data to be read, even when the computer is switched off.
The question that Michael Dell, the CEO and chairman of the company that bears his name, was asked twice by a Gartner analyst was also one of the most direct sent his way. Is the PC business, Dell's core business, "at risk?"
Amazon this week unveiled a new service level agreement (SLA) that it said guarantees that customers using its hosted Simple Storage Service (S3) will receive at least 99.9 percent uptime each month.
Makers of 10G Ethernet products came away from a recent University of New Hampshire Interoperability Lab plug fest with results they think will boost acceptance of the technology in corporate networks.
Alienware introduced this week a 64GB solid-state storage option for its Alienware Area-51 ALX and Aurora ALX desktop computers.
Dell wants to rid diskless desktop clients from corporate environments.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Apple to replace defective USB-C cables that shipped with some 12-inch MacBooks
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Microsoft beefs up its Surface Book and Surface Pro 4
- Toshiba's swanky Satellite Radius 12 laptop is brimming with cutting-edge features
- Lenovo announces executive shake-up as part of major restructure
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSenior Process AnalystVIC
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Network Engineer - Technical LeadACT
- CCSenior Automation & Performance EngineerVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.NET C#/MS ASP .NET) 160526/AP/263Asia
- CCOpen Source Specialist / Senior ConsultantQLD
- CCSenior Business Analyst - NV1VIC
- FTNetwork SpecialistVIC
- CCSystems Engineer- VMware / Cisco UCSNSW
- FTData EngineersNSW
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Prince2 & PMBoK shop | Huge project pipelineACT
- FTBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTFront End DeveloperACT
- CCScrum MasterACT
- CCIteration Manager/Agile Project ManagerNSW
- CCTester Analyst - learn on the job!ACT
- CCProject Manager - HFCVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectACT
- CCMobility SpcialistACT
- FT.NET Developer (Angular JS/ SQL)WA
- CCTechnical WriterACT
- FTSenior Full-Stack .NET DeveloperVIC
- FTTechnical Services SpecialistACT
- CCSenior IT Security Specialist-SANS, ISC2, ISACA, ITILNSW
- CCBI/Information/Data/Solution ArchitectNSW