As far as all-in-one devices are concerned, the FRITZ!Box is a monster. It contains pretty much everything you'll ever need in a home or small home office networking device. It's an ADSL2+ modem, a router, an Ethernet switch, an 802.11n dual-band Wi-Fi access point, a firewall, a VoIP device, a content filter, a file and printer server, and it's even optimised for Internet video streaming (for FetchTV). All this means that you won't need to use multiple devices, which would end up hogging your power points and desk space; there also won't be a complicated setup procedure involved.
The engin oneHUB is a wireless router, ADSL2+ modem and telephony device all rolled into one unit — hence the name. It's available to purchase for $99 when you sign up with an engin ADSL2+ plan, but it will also work with non-engin ADSL2+ plans.
The Plantronics .Audio 355 PC headset combines a comfortable pair of entry-level headphones that deliver good quality audio with a flexible microphone.
The Logitech ClearChat Premium is a PC gaming and VoIP headset that does everything it is designed for — it’s acceptable for listening to MP3s, it recreates game audio well, and the microphone is good enough for chatting.
Featuring a folding design and boasting DSP digital audio, the Plantronics .Audio DSP 400 is a headset designed for listening to voice, music and games on your PC. Though it's very portable, its construction won't be to everyone's taste and the ear cups leave your ears hot and uncomfortable.
The Plantronics CS70N allows you to take calls on a desktop phone through a wireless Bluetooth headset. Consisting of a base station and a Bluetooth headset, as well as an optional handset lifter, the CS70N is ideal if you are constantly away from your desk but still need to remain in touch.
D-Link's DPH-120S resembles a standard landline telephone in almost every way. A corded handset attaches to a simple base unit. It's a basic unit that emphasises functionality rather than style. The phone isn't dual-mode, offering solely VoIP through either a LAN connection or a direct PC connection using one of the two available Ethernet ports on the device. The phone's features are fairly basic and include speakerphone, speed dial, phone conferencing, voicemail and basic phone book functionality.
With the Gigaset C470IP, Siemens combines Voice over IP (VoIP) and PSTN functionality in a dual-mode phone with a bevy of features that should suit the typical home user. Support for six different handsets and three simultaneous calls over the handsets also make it a viable option for a small office or busy house.
With dual-mode phones dominating the home sector of the VoIP market, Linksys' SPA962 snubs the home consumer in favour of business-focussed approach. A pure VoIP phone, the SPA962 offers administration via an embedded Web server, support for six SIP-based extensions, and customisation by the end user, making this a fantastic option for a company-wide switchover to VoIP.
New exploits against VoIP continue to emerge, but experts say these demonstrations reveal the need for vigilant security and are not fatal flaws to the technology.
Boasting a padded headband and ear cups and a rotating, noise-cancelling microphone, Logitech's ClearChat Comfort USB is a headset designed for PC voice and video recording. Although it's a reasonably effective device, the design of the ear cups means your ears will often be left hot and uncomfortable.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCContract IT Assistant (IT Security/IT Audit) 160621/ITA/361Asia
- CCBusiness Analyst - BPRNSW
- FTSenior Java Developer (Java/Maven/AEM)NSW
- FTSenior Architect, TechnologyNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst- BPMN, Testing backgroundNSW
- FTFront End .Net Developer (.Net / Angular / Bootstrap)NSW
- CCITSM ConsultantNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160629/AP/793Asia
- FTTechnical Consultant - ServerSA
- CCOffice 365 Project ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst, InsuranceNSW
- CCNational Project CoordinatorNSW
- FTTechnical Business Analyst (Integration background)NSW
- CCICT PreSales SpecialistVIC
- CCSAP ABAP - Senior developerVIC
- CCHybrid Mobile App DeveloperNSW
- CCSystems Monitoring Specialist - Foglight focusNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Healthcare industryVIC
- FTProject Coordinator / AdministratorNSW
- CCRuby on Rails DeveloperNSW
- CCImplementation ManagerNSW
- FTEnvironment ManagerVIC
- CCSales Specialist - DigitalNSW
- CCSenior Performance & Automation EngineerNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC