With many Australians considering ditching the traditional landline in favour of either naked DSL or mobile telephony, it seems that heavier use of VoIP -- voice over Internet Protocol -- is all but inevitable. However, some people aren't ready to pu...
Networking, Wireless & VoIP
In a high-tech twist of irony, the Internet engineering community is adding a feature to IPv6 that the upgrade to the Internet's main communications protocol was supposed to eliminate.
Calling all digital nomads -- you may not be wearing a dark suit, a tie and shiny shoes, but you're out there with at least a full day of work to get done. Chances are that, more times than not, your workspace is a table at Starbucks, a hotel lobby c...
Different approaches to wireless Internet access in San Francisco and neighboring Silicon Valley are producing very different results, with one project springing up around the city and the other inching through regulatory procedures.
Field Day lets ham radio operators prep for disaster.
Normally, in a time of crisis, an "amateur" is not the first person you might call. But when communications networks go down, amateur radio operators -- or hams -- and their gear can get communities connected to the outside world via the radio waves.
Though sometimes it's hard to pin down exactly who deserves the credit — or blame — here's a shot a some of the more familiar terms.
Faster and farther-reaching networking are just a couple of the advantages of an 802.11 draft-n based wireless network, so if you're in the market for a new wireless router, you should ensure that you get one that's capable of running the latest stan...
Finally, the wait is over. Australians can get their hands on Apple's newest iPhone when it launches on 11 July. The good news is, the iPhone 3G has more features and capabilities than the original model.
I'm a big fan of wireless mice, and at home -- where my only PCs are notebooks -- I've been using wireless optical notebook mice for years. All use a dongle, and while the dongles have been getting smaller, they're prone to breakage and sometimes I j...
Increasingly, the world is becoming wireless. At home, at work, and on the road, you'll often connect to Wi-Fi networks and hotspots for Internet access. But doing so isn't always simple. You can use some assistance in finding and connecting to hotsp...
Network security can be a thorny issue for small businesses because they generally lack pricey equipment and dedicated IT people who have the expertise to lock down a local area network. But addressing security is nevertheless essential: Just one cus...
One of the challenges in mobile computing is battery life. It's hard to be productive with a dead battery, so IT personnel and users alike need to think about maximising run time between charges.
Does all this talk of WiMAX, 3G and 4G make your head spin? Here's a quick primer about what each technology really delivers.
If you think the touchscreen on the Apple iPhone is cool, imagine a device that actually sees, reflects and responds to your fingers touching the back of the device
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Telstra’s ‘Free Data Day” sets new record for mobile downloads
- Facebook to begin testing its Internet drone this year
- Consumers let down by broadband speed and performance: ACCAN
- Apple recalls AC wall plug adapters
- This Asus router is a powerful rebuttal to Google OnHub's stark simplicity
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSenior IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160630/SITA/642Asia
- FTPractice Lead - InsuranceNSW
- CCUX DesignersQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst, LifeNSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer - C# FocusNSW
- CCSystems EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCProject/ Program AnalystVIC
- FTTechnical Business Analyst (Integration background)NSW
- CCMulesoft Integration DeveloperWA
- FTAppian Developer/ArchitectVIC
- CCSystems Trainer - Networking/ RadioVIC
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- CCWeb Developer (Drupal)SA
- FTIT Senior Business Analyst (12M)NSW
- CCDigital Business AnalystVIC
- CCIntegration ArchitectNSW
- FTTechnical Lead | Senior Java DeveloperNSW
- FTVoice ArchitectNSW
- CCSAP ABAP - Senior developerVIC
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160621/P/866Asia
- CCSenior Change Manager, Financial ServicesNSW
- FTAgile Implementation LeadNSW
- FT.Net Developer (WebAPI / Entity Framework / SQL Server)NSW
- FTNetwork Engineer | Canberra | NV1 NV2 clearance | Defence projectsNSW