Apple has slashed the prices of its premium iPod Touch by up to 25 per cent and updated the feature set of its introductory 16GB model.
MP3 Player & iPod Accessories
Sony unveiled its new high-resolution audio player, the NWZ-ZX1. The Walkman-branded player was showcased by Sony's chief sound engineer Kaji Nageno at a launch event held at Sydney’s Ivy.
Logitech's UE Air Speaker uses Apple's wireless AirPlay technology to play streamed music from a compatible iOS device. The UE Air is a large, but good looking speaker system that's ridiculously easy to set up and use, but its sound quality is a little disappointing considering its price tag.
The Veho Mimi Qube Wi-Fi speaker is a simple solution for distributing audio from your computer to any part of your home or office. It ships with a wireless adapter that also acts as a sound card and transmits all audio from your computer to wherever the little Veho speaker lies. It's very easy to install -- we tested on a Windows 7 system and didn't have to contend with any drivers at all.
Razer's Ferox is a portable speaker set aimed at portable gaming systems like the DS and the PSP; it'll work with just about any device with a headphone jack though, like MP3 and portable DVD players.
The Revo Ikon is an iPod docking station with a built-in digital radio tuner, as well as built-in networking connections that allow you to receive Internet radio and stream music from your computers. It has two 15W speakers and a 3.5in touch screen interface, but it is a small and hard-to-use interface, and the dock overall could use a better physical design.
The Pure Avanti Flow is a tabletop digital radio that can also receive FM and Internet radio broadcasts as well as play music from your iPod and networked computer. It's best suited to a small room where its relatively low maximum volume won't be a problem, and its awkward shape makes it difficult to place on bookshelves. However, for listening to multiple music sources it's a great device.
Some speakers are destined to blend discreetly into your environment. Not so the Harman Kardon GLA-55, whose multi-faceted-diamond looks are positively shouting for attention.
The Cygnett Micro is a re-chargeable portable speaker from Cygnett that can be used with iPods, MP3 players and mobile phones.
The Pure One Elite is a digital radio with a neo-retro design and a very reasonable price tag.
The TDK iWave is a 2.1 stereo audio system and iPod dock with a remote control. It uses two 5 Watt speakers and a 10W subwoofer, and these deliver great sound.
The TDK iClassic speaker system is a cheap, entry-level iPod dock. However don’t expect too much from the iClassic; you get what you pay for in terms of sound quality.
The Plantronics Explorer 395 is a good-looking, easy-to-use Bluetooth headset that is obviously designed (and priced) for the casual user -- somebody who wants to be able to do hands-free calling but doesn't need to be glued to a mobile phone.
Apple will shut down its Lala online music streaming service on May 31. The move comes just five months after Apple bought Lala for an undisclosed price. Could this indicate Apple is serious about opening up a Web-based version of iTunes software-based storefront based on the Lala platform? Some speculate Apple may announce a Web-based version of iTunes this June at the company's annual Worldwide Developers Conference.
For the last couple of weeks, I've been running with a new gadget: Adidas' miCoach Pacer, a set of three small devices that combine audio coaching with a stride sensor and a heart-rate monitor. There's a lot to like about the miCoach Pacer, but a buggy Web site and the lack of native application support undermine what otherwise could be a very useful tool.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Plantronics Explorer 395 - a Bluetooth headset for everyday use
- Apple's shutdown of Lala Fuel rumors of Web-based iTunes
- On the run with Adidas' miCoach Pacer
- Panasonic reports $4bn loss
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Finance ConsultantWA
- TPBusiness Project Manager IntegrationNSW
- FTCheckpoint Firewall and VPNNSW
- FTTechnical Account ManagerQLD
- FTSecurity System EngineerSA
- FTTechnical Content CoordinatorVIC
- CCSystem Engineer - AdelaideWA
- FTSAP Business Objects ConsultantACT
- FTBusiness Solutions SpecialistNSW
- CCCloud Solution Architect - Financial Services - Continuous IntegrationNSW
- CCTechnical WriterACT
- FTEnterprise Account ManagerACT
- TPAndroid DeveloperSA
- FTDatacentre Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTSystems Engineer - SCCM & Lync/Skype for BusinessQLD
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- CCChange and Communications AnalystQLD
- FTSolutions Architect - Data Centre/ NetworkQLD
- FTSenior Learning Specialist - Global OrganisationQLD
- TPSoftware EngineerWA
- CCBusiness Analyst Finance & Lending - Brisbane Based RoleNSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Finance ConsultantNSW
- FTTechnical Account ManagerVIC
- CCIT Risk Specialist (Assurance) - TelcoVIC