Sharp has approved an offer from Hon Hai Precision Industry and related companies to acquire over 66 per cent of the company’s voting stock, making the Taiwanese contract manufacturer the new parent of the venerable Japanese firm.
Extra wide monitors such as LG's 34UM67 are a blessing for those of us who love to spread our work out across the screen. There is enough space on this 34-inch, IPS-based (in-plane switching) monitor to not only line up two windows side by side, but even three (or more), while competently multitasking.
Across Samsung’s entire television and audio range was one clear trend. Televisions, computer monitors, sound bars and even sound systems from Samsung will all curve on the basis of improved performance.
Curved displays may be a fad in TVs, but they could stick around longer in computer monitors.
Viewsonic’s VX2363SMHL (VX63) monitor is a 23in LED-backlit LCD monitor with a slim and lightweight design. It has a Full HD resolution and a response time of 2ms, and it’s aimed primarily at those of you who want an inexpensive screen for everyday, non-colour critical tasks.
AOC's 27in, 77F Series monitor has a thin frame and base that combine to give the screen an elegance that is not often seen in the sub-$400 price category. More importantly, though, it contains a modern IPS-based panel that can provide crisp, vibrant, and wide-angle viewing for all types of tasks.
LG Electronics is planning to show three monitors at IFA in Berlin, including a curved ultrawide model and a new 4K display.
The big deal about Viewsonic's new VX2452mh monitor is that it's meant to be flicker-free, regardless of the brightness level that you use. The company touts it as being easy on the eyes for all types of tasks, whether you're using it for gaming, or simply using it for Web browsing and word processing. However, apart from some laptop screens, we can't remember the last time a modern LCD monitor exhibited flicker problems.
AOC, the in-house brand of global monitor manufacturing behemoth TPV, has released two monitors in Australia, the 68P and the 77F.
Sharp is no stranger to making high-quality displays, and with the PN-K322B, the company has a 4K, ultra-high definition LCD touchscreen that's aimed at the business sector. It comes in a size of 32 inches and it has a resolution of 3840x2160 pixels. That's only one of the drawcards; the other is a stand that allows the screen to be tilted downwards so that you can almost lean on it while you use it.
‘If you build it, they will come’ appears to be the ethos of Samsung’s vigilant Ultra HD campaign, as the company continues to release products that support the standard in spite of a lack in content.
Acer's 29in ultra-widescreen monitor is part of a new breed of monitors that's slightly different from the norm. Rather than offering a traditional 16:9 aspect ratio, the Acer B296CL offers a wider 21:9 ratio, which not only suits most movies a lot better, it's also more conducive to multitasking.
LG's latest range of monitors is designed to give you an expanded view of your desktop, as well as make movies fit your screen better. Rather than having a standard widescreen ratio of 16:9 and offering a 1920x1080-pixel resolution, monitors such as the 29UM65 offer an ultra-wide 21:9 ratio that bumps the resolution to 2560x1080 pixels, giving you a lot more width to work with.
Using Windows 8 without a touchscreen means you don’t get to experience the new operating system in the way that it was intended. If you’ve just bought a new PC or non-touch laptop and now you want to add touch capability, you can consider a monitor like the Acer T232HL.
If you’re looking to buy a new monitor these days, you’d be mad not to purchase one that’s at least 24 inches in size. What used to be an unreasonably large LCD monitor is now mainstream, and 27-inch screens are now surprisingly affordable.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Foxconn to pay over $US6bn for a majority stake in Sharp
- Curved displays from TVs see uptake in PCs, monitors
- LG to unveil curved ultrawide monitor at IFA
- Ultra high-definition and 3.5mm bezels are traits of AOC’s new monitors
- Samsung's 28in monitor uses UHD to improve multitasking
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTStorage SpecialistVIC
- CCLinux AdministratorVIC
- FTSenior Developer (.Net)SA
- CCSolution Architect (security domain)VIC
- CCBusiness Intelligence (BI) AnalystQLD
- CCSAP Project ManagersNSW
- CCProject Manager - Healthcare DomainSA
- CCFront end and Full Stack DevelopersNSW
- CCAmazon Web Services (AWS) IT SupportWA
- CCIT Security Consultant -NSW
- CCContract Programmer (MS SQL Server/SQL/Web) 160518/P/626Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160523/AP/568Asia
- CCTester Analyst - learn on the job!ACT
- CCService Desk analystSA
- CCProject/ Change ManagerQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst (Sharepoint, CRM, MS Dynamics)ACT
- CCSenior Oracle Functional ConsultantSA
- FTIT Support - Level 1NSW
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Systems EngineerACT
- FTNV1, NV2 Network Engineers | Permanent role with diverse Defence projectsACT
- FTSenior Developer (Full stack)SA
- CCDevOps Software Configuration ManagerACT
- CCLead Business Analyst - multiple rolesVIC
- FTSolution Architect - Capacity ManagementVIC