VR is no gimmick and it’s thriving among early adopters: both in the world of powerful computers with the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive and also in the phone-based space where almost any modern phone is a potential VR gateway.
Rachel likes travelling to obscure places and party places alike. She needs her tech to get about and communicate whether its exploring caves, diving with Whale Sharks, rallying across Eastern Europe, partying at South American carnivals, eating insects in Asia, cavorting in fountains in Europe or relaxing in hot mud in South America.
Introducing Roving Rachel our new techie travel writer. A candidate for having the best job in the world, she reports on some of the best adventure destinations on the planet, the best festivals and the best ways to get there – all while discussing the technology, apps and services she uses and encounters along the way.
Optus has launched its new mobile payment facility, Cash by Optus, whereby customers with compatible smartphones can make contactless purchases under $100.
Selfie sticks undoubtedly get you a great selfie angle. But which stick is for you?
You'll be shocked, but inside it's mostly battery.
Apple's Pencil, designed specifically to work with the iPad Pro, is still scarce. But for half the cost of Apple's stylus, you can get FiftyThree's Pencil, which works well with Apple's new tablet.
Portable keyboards for mobile devices tend to come in either rigid and foldable or rubbery and rollup forms. LG Electronics is launching one that's a bit of both.
Imation's Link Power Drive serves double duty as an external, on-the-go storage device and portable battery charger for an iPhone. It comes in useful when you want to carry extra music and video files with you, which you can then play directly off the drive; at the flick of a switch, you can then use the drive to charge the iPhone's battery.
Mophie's Juice Pack Plus case for the iPhone 6 makes the phone bigger and heavier, but it provides the thing we all crave most: extra battery life. Using the Mophie case, you can run the iPhone 6 for over twice as long as you're used to before having to plug it back in and recharge.
Samsung Australia has postponed the release of its Gear VR in what is the third delay for its range of Galaxy Note devices.
Sony is one of a few companies with an ecosystem rich in entertainment gear. Now the company has partnered with Telstra to release the wearable SmartBand SWR10.
Simple music, that’s what Sony’s SRS-X5 is about. The speaker uses Bluetooth technology for the wireless playback of music, while NFC technology enables pairing with the tap of a smartphone or tablet.
Renditions of ‘smart’ watches from Samsung and Sony are best qualified as gimmicks because they don’t satisfy a clear need. Commendation deserves to be dished out for the sheer variety of features these things have. But for all their bells and whistles, I have never looked at my wrist and thought to myself “I wish i was wearing a computer”.
Just when you thought the portable Bluetooth speaker market was brimming with a range of fantastic products, Braven weighs in with an entrant so well equipped, it could shake things up.
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® Portable SSD
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Optus moves into wearables space with Cash by Optus
- iFixit tears down Apple's Smart Battery Case
- LG rolls out rollable keyboard without the rubbery feel
- Like Note 4 and Note Edge, Samsung delays Gear VR
- Telstra adds Sony wearable to its range of contract products
PCW Evaluation Team
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTLinux System AdminstratorQLD
- FTHR Business Analyst / Performance Management SMENSW
- FTSales Operations ManagerNSW
- FTSolutions Architects - 10 roles availableACT
- CCServiceNow Specialist - Administration and DevelopmentVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Microsoft EngineerVIC
- CCWeb Data Entry PublisherACT
- FTCisco Network Engineer (FIFO)WA
- FTInfrastructure Analyst - Storage & Backup SystemsNSW
- TPGIS Developer - 6 month ContractQLD
- CCApplication Support Specialist- Bathurst or Port MacquarieNSW
- FTProject SchedulerACT
- FTC# (Full Stack) DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior BANSW
- FTJunior Applications SupportVIC
- FT.Net Solutions DeveloperSA
- FTSAP Data Migration SpecialistACT
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCProcess Assurance LeadNSW
- FTSenior Business Analysis - FinanceQLD
- FTHadoop Service AdministratorWA
- TPAutomation Test AnalystSA
- CCProject Manager - Security DomainVIC