Budget smartphones keep getting better as software matures and components become cheaper. Some companies have produced inexpensive smartphones that are good enough to replace your big-brand flagship. Others haven’t had the same success.
Commotion surrounds a new Chinese manufacturer called OnePlus and its first smartphone, the One. The promise of top-tier hardware for bottom dollar has the internet ablaze, and big guns Samsung, Apple and HTC paying attention.
Motorola's Moto G is not just a great dual-SIM smartphone; but it's one of our favourite smartphones. And with the announcement of the first Windows dual-SIM Phone, the Nokia Lumia 630, Good Gear Guide has compiled 5 reasons why the often overlooked perk could save you dollars.
Under Google's watch, Motorola has managed to deliver one of the best value-for-money smartphones on the market today. It is wonderfully styled, has powerful innards and offers the money-saving advantages of a dual-SIM smartphone.
The Doro PhoneEasy 615 is a comfortable, well designed flip phone with extra large buttons, an easy to read display and a simple user interface.
The Huawei Discovery Expedition is shock, water and dust resistant handset so it's ideal for builders, plumbers, miners, or simply those who need their phone to take a beating.
A flip phone with large buttons may look like a design from yesteryear but Telstra's EasyTouch Discovery 3 is in fact brand new.
There is something strangely compelling about the Telstra EasyCall 2 mobile phone. It might be the extra large buttons, the easy to read display, or even the fact that this is a handset designed purely for calling and the occasional text. However, it isn't strange when you realise the Telstra EasyCall 2 has specifically been designed with older users in mind.
Retailing for just $49, Telstra's T100 mobile phone is one of the cheapest phones on the Australian market. It features Bluetooth, MMS, a VGA camera, and an MP3 player but, most importantly, it's straightforward to use.
The LG Craze is a cheap prepaid mobile phone sold exclusively through Telstra. It targets a similar market to the Telstra Glide -- teenagers who text excessively -- but possesses a much better keyboard layout and a sturdier design.
Retailing for just $129, Telstra's Glide prepaid mobile phone is a low-cost, entry-level device targeted at teenagers who text excessively. Unfortunately, its key features, a slide-out QWERTY keyboard and a small, resistive touchscreen, are both poorly implemented.
Sony Ericsson's Cedar is an entry-level 3G mobile phone with green credentials. Manufactured from recyclable materials, shipping without a physical user guide and featuring a charger that minimises power consumption, the Cedar is part of Sony Ericsson's 'GreenHeart' range.
As everyone and his or her dog now owns an iPhone, we've rounded up some of top tips and tricks for the Apple smartphone.
Featuring a 5-megapixel camera, Wi-Fi, 7.2Mbps HSDPA connectivity and an FM radio, you’d be forgiven for thinking LG’s latest flagship mobile phone, the Mini (GD880) is a smartphone.
Apple's latest update breathes new life into the iPhone, with a host of nifty features. Here is a look at some of the most important.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Vodafone announces Australia's cheapest iPhone 3G deal
- Mobile handset market to decline 8% this year says IDC
- LiMo's Linux-based mobile OS stack makes gains
- Europeans likely to use more mobile data than US, says Cisco
- LiMo Foundation gets ready for next-generation platform
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCTest AnalystACT
- CCHybris Developer - Global ConsultancyNSW
- FTWeb Programmer/ DeveloperVIC
- FTPrograme ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Systems/SAN EngineerNSW
- FTAnalyst: Business Intelligence & AnalyticsVIC
- CCCommercial Manager - Strategy / Big Data - Telecommunications -NSW
- FTUI DeveloperNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- FTIT Support AnalystNSW
- FTTechnical Support EngineerNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- CCTest ManagerQLD
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (SQL/Oracle/.Net) 160129/AP/vhs-bAsia
- CCSenior Wintel EngineerNSW
- FTPHP ProgrammerSA
- CCSharePoint EngineerACT
- CCSharePoint AdministratorACT
- CCSenior Test AnalystSA
- CCSenior Agile Business Analyst - Online/Mobile experienceNSW
- CCMultiple Middleware DevelopersACT
- CCApplications DeveloperQLD
- CCIT Service Desk (32 hour week)WA
- FTCyber Security SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Oracle DBANSW