The Sony STR-DA550ES is a 7.1 channel home theatre receiver with Ethernet connectivity for Internet radio access and DLNA media streaming. It's got a plethora of video and audio inputs and plenty of audio oomph for connecting surround sound speakers.
The Pioneer VSX-LX52 is a high-end home theatre receiver with support for 7.1 discrete audio channels. Its total power output of 1050W RMS is split equally between the seven satellite audio channels, with the capability to minutely adjust almost every audio aspect of each speaker. More video and audio inputs than the average user is ever likely to need mean that whatever you throw at this receiver, it will handle it admirably.
Arcam’s Solo Mini music system follows the tide of other hi-fi companies entering the digital age by embracing USB and iPod connectivity. To the Solo Mini’s credit, these additions work well and do not detract from the high standard of CD and radio reproduction.
The Arcam Solo Movie 5.1 is a one-piece home cinema system aimed at serious audio/visual enthusiasts. It combines a universal disc player with a five-channel Class G amplifier and throws in an AM-FM radio to boot.
Sony’s line-up of A/V receivers has been bolstered by the STRDA2400ES, which offers 100 Watts of power through seven channels as well as a full range of video switching and up-scaling. It’ll do almost everything you could wish for, but might prove to be a difficult beast to set up if you have a lot of equipment.
Pioneer's VSX817S is an entry-level 7.1 channel A/V receiver that does a good job considering its low price-point. It doesn't support high-definition audio formats like Dolby TrueHD and doesn't have any HDMI capability. However, it has a plethora of other features that make it a solid option for anyone considering creating a home theatre.
The first home-theatre receiver to decode DTS Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD from Blu-ray movies produces phenomenal sound.
Pioneer's VSX-LX60 is their new, high-end AV receiver, designed primarily to take advantage of the new age of high definition. Sporting HDMI 1.3, 1080p upscaling, and full support for the new high definition audio formats, the LX60 is supremely 'future-proof'. In addition to this, it also boasts excellent audio and video quality, and is Air Studios tuned and THX Select2 certified. It does come at a price, however, and like the rest of Pioneer's LX range, it's aimed specifically at high-end enthusiasts.
Harman Kardon's AVR 245 is one of their entry level amplifier/receivers. It's important to note, however, that for a brand like Harman Kardon, 'entry level' is still built to a very high standard. The amp is capable of 50W per channel at 8 ohms, driven through up to 8 channels. A huge range of connections spans the back panel, including HDMI, and of course the audio quality is excellent. The 245 boasts several highly useful features as well as plentiful customisation options.
The Pioneer A6 analogue audio amplifier is the little brother of the [[prodid:3560]]. Slightly smaller and lighter, and with less power output, the two amps are very similar to one another, the major difference being that the A6 doesn't provide a lot of support for lossy audio formats.
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Acer Swift 7
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
PCW Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTMonitoring Tools Support l NimSoft , SMARTS, ehealth, TivoliNSW
- TPProject CoordinatorNSW
- FTWeb Developer / Applications AnalystQLD
- CCContract - System Access Administrator - major Telco in MelbourneVIC
- CCSenior Systems EngineerNSW
- FTFront-End DevOps Developer/Consultant - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- FTDevOps/Senior Sys Admin - eCommerce - Permanent - Sydney Northern BeachesNSW
- CCSQL Database Administrator (DBA)NSW
- CCSystems Engineer (Infra)NSW
- CCTest AnalystWA
- TPBI Commercial AnalystVIC
- CCSecurity AnalystACT
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Positive Vetting, NV2 or NV1 required!!!!SA
- CCFullstack .Net DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior Service Desk AnalystNSW
- FTPrincipal Architect - Infrastructure | Major BankVIC
- CCInfrastructure Business AnalystACT
- TPSenior Applications Support OfficerQLD
- CCSME in Openstack, AWSNSW
- FTChange Manager - Large Transition ProjectNSW
- TPBI & Report Developer (SQL Developer)QLD
- TPAnalyst Programmer (Adabas)SA
- CCTest ManagerWA
- CCPega DeveloperNSW
- TPICT Project CoordinatorQLD