The fight for the living room is heating up with Apple recently upping the ante with the reboot of the Apple TV and telecommunications giant, Telstra, making moves of its own with the release of the Roku powered Telstra TV.
Taking a page from Netflix and Amazon, Apple may be in search of the next House of Cards or Transparent.
Amazon won’t sell Apple TV and Chromecast hardware, bans marketplace partners from selling them, too
Anti-competitive tactic or smart customer-service strategy? It’s probably a little of both.
Look, a very big heat sink.
The remote control on the next Apple TV will reportedly trade an ultra-svelte figure for one that supports touch controls.
Foxtel has overhauled its cable-TV platform to incorporate Internet-savvy services, one interface across different devices and has launched a new set top box distinguished by an upgradable set of features.
The WD TV is a media player savvy enough to jump online with a friendly retail price of $150. It consists of a box the size of a hard drive and one of the most ingeniously laid out remote controls.
Though otherwise a fairly standard NAS box, the AS-304T’s HDMI output and USB keyboard/mouse support allow it to function as a full-featured XMBC media centre.
Western Digital's NAS-optimised 'WD Red' drives are now available in 2.5-inch models at 750GB and 1TB, and a new 4TB model pushes up the maximum capacity of the existing 3.5-inch range.
The Acer Revo 100 is a home-theatre PC that actually looks and feels like a home-theatre PC. It has a slim body that doesn't take up a lot of space and it contains only essential ports and slots, thereby making it look inconspicuous in a typical TV cabinet, or indeed when placed next to a TV. It even has a built-in navigation device that can be removed from the PC and used in place of a desktop-style keyboard and mouse.
The Iomega ScreenPlay TV Link Director Edition offers all the features one would expect – in terms of supported multimedia file formats, extra USB ports, wired and optional wireless networking, internet connectivity, usability of UI and remote, and quality of playback of 1080p videos.
The ASRock Ion 330HT-BD is a 'nettop' desktop PC with Intel's Atom 330 1.6GHz dual-core processor and NVIDIA ION integrated graphics. It has hardware acceleration to play back 1080p Blu-ray video free of any stuttering or buffering, and the integrated graphics are good enough for some limited gaming.
Western Digital's WD TV Mini high media player might be small, but it can be used to access most types of video, audio or photo files from a USB external hard drive. Though lacking HDMI, the WD TV Mini is a perfect match for older televisions or those that have a spare component input.
The Seagate FreeAgent Theater is a media player designed to connect your Seagate FreeAgent Go external hard drive to a television for photo, audio and video playback
The High Court of Australia's decision regarding the legality of the reproduction of Channel Nine's television programming guide by third-party provider IceTV will be handed down tomorrow morning at 10:15 EST.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Apple is reportedly seeking exclusive content for the Apple TV
- Amazon won’t sell Apple TV and Chromecast hardware, bans marketplace partners from selling them, too
- What's inside the new Apple TV? iFixit tears one apart to find out
- New Apple TV might have a touch pad remote
- Foxtel's iQ3 champions new Internet-savvy platform
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTDigital Delivery and Engagement OfficersVIC
- CCLead Enterprise Solution Architect - CloudNSW
- CCSolution Designer - Investment/Trading PlatformNSW
- FTJapanese Speaking Technical Support EngineerNSW
- CCAPI DeveloperOther
- CCOBIEE/ Oracle BI Analyst- Informatica & DACNSW
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- TPTest LeadQLD
- CCAPI DeveloperSA
- FTSolutions Architect - Data Centre/ NetworkNSW
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTJava Developers X 2QLD
- CCC ProgrammerACT
- CCPrincipal Business AnalystQLD
- FTEnterprise Architect - InformationQLD
- CCNight Shift Service Desk AnalystNSW
- FT2nd Line Engineer - CitrixVIC
- FTAGILE Implementation ManagerNSW
- CCIT Project ManagerQLD
- CCSenior Windows Automation Specialist (Integration)VIC
- CCSecurity SpecialistVIC
- FTSoftware Sales & BDMNSW
- TPBI DeveloperSA
- TPSharePoint Designer / DeveloperQLD