Sharp has approved an offer from Hon Hai Precision Industry and related companies to acquire over 66 per cent of the company’s voting stock, making the Taiwanese contract manufacturer the new parent of the venerable Japanese firm.
Orb Audio Complete Home Theater System review: A pint-sized, upgradeable music and home-theater marvel
Astonishingly good sound for the price, even though the A/V receiver is a bare-bones model.
Yamaha YHT-5920UBL review: If streaming audio is your focus, this home theater in a box has you covered
This well-priced product will sound better than your HDTV’s built-in speakers, but it's certainly not a high-end system.
We review systems from Orb Audio, Onkyo, and Yamaha, each priced less than $1000.
Samsung's 2014 range of televisions will have larger screens that don a curve and support the next generation of Ultra high-definition content. These televisions will be upgradable through the use of an evolution kit and communicate with new wireless and modular speakers.
Samsung proudly showcased its next generation of products in Bali at the Samsung Forum 2014. On display was a curved television that had UHD resolution, a new mirrorless camera, the line up of powerful Pro tablets and much, much more.
Samsung’s best home-theatre-in-a-box is a smart way to boost the volume, sound quality and power of your TV’s sound system, and it’s versatile even if it won’t compare to a proper home cinema system.
Libratone is a small Danish audio company with three products: the mini Zipp, the midi Live and the maxi Lounge. Each speaker is exceedingly simple -- no volume controls or superfluous buttons, minimalist designs with exacting construction. They’re marketed at buyers who love their iPhones, iPads and iPods, and want to share their music.
LG makes a full 22 home theatre systems, ranging from single-speaker soundbars to room-dominating ‘3D’ surround sound setups. The BH7520TW is the second best model in the LG home theatre line-up, beaten only by the similar BH9520TW.
Sonos is a pioneer in the wireless audio market -- its entire focus is on simple, powerful, high-quality music systems that connect over a home Wi-Fi network, access a huge range of music services, and allow control from a smartphone. The Sonos SUB is the latest addition to the line-up, and is designed to complement existing speakers with extra bass power.
The Sony BDV-IZ1000W is a home theatre system that’s got plenty of power, a full set of features and a design to match Sony’s most stylish televisions. If you can afford to shell out $1599, we think you’ll be pleased with the sound quality and extra functions that are on offer.
The Panasonic SC-BTT775 is a $1099 home theatre with 5.1 surround sound. 3D Blu-ray playback and wireless rear speakers make it an attractive companion to a 3D television like the Samsung Series 7 (UA55C7000) or Panasonic VIERA TH-P50VT20A. We thought the sound wasn't good at maximum volume levels, but unless you're in a large room and want very loud music it will do an acceptable job.
The LG HB965TXW is a surround-sound home theatre system with wireless rear speakers. It is a reasonably good looking system and would match up well with LG's LED or plasma televisions. Its sound quality is a distinct step up from a television's integrated speakers, and the wireless connectivity is great for larger rooms. It won't stand up to a more expensive home theatre system for full-volume movie sound, but as a budget purchase to go alongside your plasma television it works well.
The Panasonic SC-ZT2 is a home theatre system with two floor-standing stereo speakers and a slimline A/V receiver. It's an extremely compact and convenient system that suits space- and style-conscious buyers, but we're not sold on its surround sound abilities or the high price tag.
The Nine Network is using Ericsson technology to run the behind-the-scenes 3D video processing at tonight’s State of Origin match. The 3D broadcast is a world first on free-to-air TV, and Nine has chosen Ericsson for its experience in the still-developing 3D broadcast market.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Foxconn to pay over $US6bn for a majority stake in Sharp
- What you need to know about Samsung's 2014 TVs
- Ericsson responsible for State of Origin 3D broadcast tech
- Asus launches new HTPC motherboards
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTPython Data EngineerWA
- CCBusiness Intelligence and Reporting Project OfficerACT
- CCSenior Network Engineer - Voice And DataVIC
- FTStorage EngineerSA
- FTUnix Systems AdministratorNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Infrastructure/JAVA) 160901/SA/486Asia
- CCSharepoint ArchitectACT
- FTBusiness Intelligence Team LeadVIC
- FTBack End Developer - Java, Spring, RESTNSW
- FTIT ManagerAsia
- CCSystem Analyst - NetIQNSW
- CCWebmaster content managementACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (IT Application/Web) 160825/AP/183Asia
- CCSenior Embedded Software EngineerWA
- CCiOS DeveloperVIC
- FTProject Administrator (Agile)WA
- CCSr Project Manager - BASELINEACT
- CCJunior/Intermediate Drupal web developer - APS Level 4/5 equiACT
- FTOperations ManagerNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager (12-month renewable contract)Asia
- CCProject Manager - Expense Management SystemVIC
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/HTML/PHP) 160819/P/733Asia
- CCContract Systems Analyst (CISCO/Firewall/Network) 160819/SA/423Asia
- CCSystems Analyst (IT Security/Network & Systems) 160826/SA/652Asia
- CCAnalyst Programmer/Snr. Analyst Programmer 20160817/vedAsia