Movies are a place where we are willing to believe anything. They are a place where literally anything can happen: intergalactic travel, upside down worlds, dinosaur theme parks, time travel, hoverboards. Anything you could possibly imagine.
We’ve tested most of the TVs on the market recently and were keen to see how an “affordable” Home Theatre projector compared in day to day usage. Would it really be a viable TV-alternative for an Aussie home? Or does it only operate optimally in a cinema environment?
Sharp has approved an offer from Hon Hai Precision Industry and related companies to acquire over 66 per cent of the company’s voting stock, making the Taiwanese contract manufacturer the new parent of the venerable Japanese firm.
We review systems from Orb Audio, Onkyo, and Yamaha, each priced less than $1000.
Yamaha YHT-5920UBL review: If streaming audio is your focus, this home theater in a box has you covered
This well-priced product will sound better than your HDTV’s built-in speakers, but it's certainly not a high-end system.
Orb Audio Complete Home Theater System review: A pint-sized, upgradeable music and home-theater marvel
Astonishingly good sound for the price, even though the A/V receiver is a bare-bones model.
Samsung's 2014 range of televisions will have larger screens that don a curve and support the next generation of Ultra high-definition content. These televisions will be upgradable through the use of an evolution kit and communicate with new wireless and modular speakers.
Samsung proudly showcased its next generation of products in Bali at the Samsung Forum 2014. On display was a curved television that had UHD resolution, a new mirrorless camera, the line up of powerful Pro tablets and much, much more.
Samsung’s best home-theatre-in-a-box is a smart way to boost the volume, sound quality and power of your TV’s sound system, and it’s versatile even if it won’t compare to a proper home cinema system.
Libratone is a small Danish audio company with three products: the mini Zipp, the midi Live and the maxi Lounge. Each speaker is exceedingly simple -- no volume controls or superfluous buttons, minimalist designs with exacting construction. They’re marketed at buyers who love their iPhones, iPads and iPods, and want to share their music.
LG makes a full 22 home theatre systems, ranging from single-speaker soundbars to room-dominating ‘3D’ surround sound setups. The BH7520TW is the second best model in the LG home theatre line-up, beaten only by the similar BH9520TW.
Sonos is a pioneer in the wireless audio market -- its entire focus is on simple, powerful, high-quality music systems that connect over a home Wi-Fi network, access a huge range of music services, and allow control from a smartphone. The Sonos SUB is the latest addition to the line-up, and is designed to complement existing speakers with extra bass power.
The Sony BDV-IZ1000W is a home theatre system that’s got plenty of power, a full set of features and a design to match Sony’s most stylish televisions. If you can afford to shell out $1599, we think you’ll be pleased with the sound quality and extra functions that are on offer.
The Panasonic SC-BTT775 is a $1099 home theatre with 5.1 surround sound. 3D Blu-ray playback and wireless rear speakers make it an attractive companion to a 3D television like the Samsung Series 7 (UA55C7000) or Panasonic VIERA TH-P50VT20A. We thought the sound wasn't good at maximum volume levels, but unless you're in a large room and want very loud music it will do an acceptable job.
The LG HB965TXW is a surround-sound home theatre system with wireless rear speakers. It is a reasonably good looking system and would match up well with LG's LED or plasma televisions. Its sound quality is a distinct step up from a television's integrated speakers, and the wireless connectivity is great for larger rooms. It won't stand up to a more expensive home theatre system for full-volume movie sound, but as a budget purchase to go alongside your plasma television it works well.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 2 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 3 Parrot Mambo Drone review
- 4 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 5 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Foxconn to pay over $US6bn for a majority stake in Sharp
- What you need to know about Samsung's 2014 TVs
- Ericsson responsible for State of Origin 3D broadcast tech
- Asus launches new HTPC motherboards
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- TV buying guide: What to look for when buying a TV in 2016
- Best iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus plans: Optus vs Telstra vs Vodafone vs Virgin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCJava Developer - CQ5VIC
- CCDigital Solutions ManagerNSW
- FTData Governance Project Manager | 6 month ContractNSW
- CCSAP Release & Deployment ManagerNSW
- CCSAP FunctionalistACT
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager - Site MoveNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - experience in IDAM a MUSTNSW
- CCSiebel Technical Integration SpecialistACT
- CCStrategy AnalystVIC
- CCSolution DesignerVIC
- CCCloud Security Services SpecialistVIC
- FTOperational Integrity ManagerNSW
- FTAgile Front End Developer- HTML5 & CSS3NSW
- CCFunctional Consultant - MS Dynamics AXQLD
- CCSAP GRC consultant with ABAP experience . Canberra LocationNSW
- CCAcquisition Marketing Executive - B2BNSW
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/Oracle/XML) 161018/JP/922Asia
- CCTechnical Business Analyst - Wealth/Super backgroundNSW
- CCContract IT Assistant (Office Automation) 161031/ITA/541Asia
- FTSystems Engineer | Defence & Federal Govt | NV1 / NV2 clearanceACT
- FTSecurity Consultant / SMENSW
- FTSenior UX DesignerAsia
- CCResident Engineer - Nexus 2K, 5K, 7K & 9KNSW
- CCInfrastructure ArchitectNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (JAVA/J2EE/Web) 161014/SA/922Asia