The GPS gold rush is in full swing at the 2008 Consumer Electronics Show, with industry veterans introducing increasingly sophisticated navigation systems while newcomers try to get a foot in the door.
GPS & Car Tech
Silicon vendor Atheros Communications has agreed to acquire u-Nav Microelectronics, a GPS (Global Positioning System) chip maker, for approximately $US54 million in cash and stock, the companies announced after the close of trading Thursday.
Cambridge Silicon Radio PLC, a designer of wireless chips, will buy two software companies whose technology it claims will drop the cost of putting GPS into mobile devices.
GPS products maker Garmin has pulled out of its bidding war to buy digital maps company Tele Atlas, and instead extended its contract with rival maps company Navteq.
The European initiative to build a system of satellites rivaling the U.S. GPS system, dubbed 'Galileo,' is finally moving forward.
The Australian National University (ANU) is conducting a world-first program to digitally map the southern sky using a specially constructed telescope called Skymapper, and in another global first will provide the data free to the world via a virtual...
In the face of ethical concerns, Google is considering changes to its Street View Google Maps feature that would protect the privacy of those it photographs.
Wachovia is working on a project of staggering scope: A 3-D map of the firm's data-center operations.
Hitachi has launched a microsite specifically dedicated to GPS to coincide with the launch of their latest units.
Navman has launched an entire new range of GPS units, dubbed the S-Series. Focused heavily on a stylish and intelligent design, the new units boast a number of new features, including a totally redesigned interface and the latest 2007 R14 Sensis maps...
Nokia announced this week the latest version of its Linux-based tablet device, this time with a full keyboard.
In its second quarter, Research In Motion reported better growth in its non-enterprise business than in the enterprise market, as the company continues to push into the consumer space.
Nokia has agreed to buy the digital mapping company Navteq for US$8.1 billion, supporting a plan to add navigation capabilities to more of its devices.
Location, location, location is the mantra in real estate. Could it be the same for the Internet? The answer is "yes', according panelists at a MIT technology conference held in Cambridge, Massachusetts this week.
Vodafone has launched its own GPS service - Vodafone Compass - and marked it by offering 12 months free GPS mapping for customers who sign up before December 1.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Goodbye GPS? DARPA preparing alternative position-tracking technology
- Elon Musk: Teslas could drive themselves, today
- Nvidia unveils $10,000 autonomous driving computer
- Driverless cars in the UK gets the OK from government
- Spotify hijacks Uber speakers
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCJava DeveloperACT
- FTApplication Support ManagerNSW
- CCSr Project Manager - BASELINEACT
- FTNational ICT Senior Technical Support EngineerACT
- CCProject Manager, Infrastructure Migration, AWS CloudNSW
- CCBI-Business Intelligence Technical LeadNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCProject Manager - PCI DSS / IMACSQLD
- FTDefence Network EngineerACT
- CCiOS DeveloperVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Unix/Linux/Web) 160819/AP/173Asia
- CCEmail Production SpecialistNSW
- CCPersonal AssistantVIC
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- CCContract IT Assistant (SQL/Windows7/8/10) 160901/AP/781Asia
- CCIT Support Officer- SAP (tool experience)NSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160824/AP/531Asia
- CCAutomation ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Test Analyst | End to End TestingNSW
- CCContract Senior Web Developer (PHP/Drupal/JAVA) 160808/SWD/vtdAsia
- CCDesktop Support Level 1 /2VIC
- FTSharePoint DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Intelligence Business AnalystSA
- CCSAP ArchitectSA