Everyone's favourite farcical shooter is set to hit the Nintendo DS -- let the hilarious mayhem commence!
Now that E308 has concluded, the games revealed having been disseminated across the internet, now is the time to bitch and moan about the forgotten games that we didn't get to hear about at this year's show.
Following on from the success of Rock Band, Harmonix will soon release the sequel, Rock Band 2. With a soundtrack of more than 80 songs and backwards compatibility with songs from the original Rock Band, players can sing, drum, pluck or strum as they strive to become the best virtual band since Gorillaz. The game will even feature the song "Shackler's Revenge" from Guns N' Roses long-awaited album, Chinese Democracy. Rock Band 2 is set to launch on the Xbox 360 in September this year, but you'll have to wait a little longer for a release on PlayStation 3, PlayStation 2 and Nintendo Wii.
For once it doesn't matter whether you swear by the Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 or PC gaming. It's all here. Here's what caught our eye -- and what we wish we'd never laid eyes on -- at this year's E3 gaming expo in LA.
After a seven-year break, EA is planning to release a new version of Red Alert, one of the most loved and best-selling strategy games of all time.
Nintendo used its E3 keynote this year to demonstrate the progress the company has made with developing Wii Music. Nintendo revealed that the Wii Balance Board will be used to play the drums, and that players will be able to use more than 50 instruments. Release is currently slated for the end of the year.
Revolutionary: the only word to describe this first person platformer from EA DICE. In Mirror's Edge, players will take on the role of Faith, a 'runner' in a modern metropolis. Control Faith as she leaps, vaults, and climbs the gorgeous cityscapes around her. A game that could very well reinvent the platformer genre, Mirror's Edge is a title to keep an eye on.
Soulcalibur IV, despite the name, is the fifth game in the Soulcalibur arcade fighting series. As one of 36 characters - including Yoda and Darth Vader -- players once again step into the arena to do battle against each other. It will feature revamped graphics, several new characters, and Force-based abilities for Star Wars characters. Competitive online play is a first for the series, and is simply one of many improvements made to the franchise. The game is currently slated for release at the end of the month for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.
The newest instalment in the popular Final Fantasy franchise, Final Fantasy XIII, is slowly taking form. Little is known about the game's storyline at present, but the game follows the same vein as its predecessors: an RPG with brilliant graphics and an immersive plot. Square Enix announced at E3 this year that the game will be released on both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, though no date has yet been set.
Today at E3 Microsoft announced a revamped dashboard for the Xbox 360, replacing that one the console shipped with. In the same vein as its competitor, the Nintendo Wii, the new dashboard will use a channel system to browse content. The interface will also integrate avatars, the Xbox 360's version of the Wii's Miis. The avatars, designed by Rare Interactive, will be able to socialise with other Xbox Live members and help create a player identity. No release date is yet known for the Xbox 360 update.
The console mascot everyone loves, Mario, is heading to yet another sports arena in an effort to draw the kiddies away from their Xbox 360s and PlayStation 3s. Mario Super Sluggers sees Mario and the gang head to the baseball field in yet another sports-related character-based game reminiscent of Mario Strikers Charged. Forty two characters slug it out on nine different fields as they battle to see who the best baseball player is. The game was released on the Wii in Japan last month, and is expected to have a local release later this year.
On gaming's biggest stage, these eight figures fell on their faces.
If you know Diablo, you're already familiar with the game's demonic head honchos that filled our nightmares and our computer monitors with their particular brand of evil: Baal, Mephisto, and, of course, Diablo. But the mythologies of the world are chock-full of genuinely interesting and menacing demons, so we thought, why not add some fresh blood to the line up now that Bilzzard is releasing Diablo III? We've collected a list of truly cool demons we want to battle in the third chapter in the Diablo series.
While we're enduring winter, over in the US summer is just kicking into gear. And nothing says summer more than a bunch of awesome gear and toys. GamePro (US) went out and rounded up some amazing tech that's sure to help you maximise your time in the sun. Once we finally get some Down Under! So grab your lawn chairs and your sunscreen as we unveil GamePro's Summer Vacation Gear Guide for 2008.
Summary: Gamepro polled its editorial team, scoured the internet, and given special attention to original efforts to develop the following list of 25 games, all of which has us giddy with the prospects. So with exception to unknown announcements, you can confidently count on these babies to be shown this year... and hopefully playable.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Film Victoria backs women in gaming with new fellowships
- Nintendo kicks off 2016 with new Zelda release and new 3DS
- Expensive gaming desktops and laptops thrive in slumping PC market
- The PS4 is the fastest selling console in Sony’s history
- Assassin's Creed Syndicate PC review impressions: This gorgeous, mostly smooth game is no Unity
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCDesktop Support Engineer/Service Desk AnalystNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Crystal Report) 160115/AP/vhsAsia
- CCTechnical Business Analyst (Telecommunications) / Melb CBDVIC
- CCEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst (SCADA / CSI)VIC
- CCSAP HR Functional ConsultantNSW
- FTSenior Unified Communications Consultant - National IT ServicesNSW
- FTSenior Front End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamVIC
- CCSenior Project Manager - ComplianceVIC
- CCOracle Developer - 3 month contractSA
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCPortfolio-Program SchedulerNSW
- CCIT Solution DesignerNSW
- FTTechnical Lead (Java)NSW
- FTSenior Systems/SAN EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Product Specialist - Cisco CPENSW
- CCBusiness and Financial AnalystACT
- FTBusiness Analyst / Scrum MasterNSW
- FTNetwork Engineer | NV1 NV2 clearance | Defence projects | Immediate interviewACT
- FTSystems Administrator/Engineer | $60-90K package | ChatswoodNSW
- CCIT Solution Designer (SOA / Web-services)NSW
- CCJava Developer - IOSNSW
- FTProject Coordinator - My Learning Space (Oracle iLearning)NSW