The newly formed Wireless Gigabit (WiGig) Alliance looks likely to play a big role in the future of Wi-Fi, but its high-speed technology probably won't squeeze out wired multimedia networks.
The latest version of the Time Capsule -- Apple's Wi-Fi router with an integrated hard drive -- has some new tricks up its sleeve that make it a more versatile backbone for a home wireless network. Its cost and a lack of compatibility with Windows-based backup utilities are a trade-off for simultaneous dual-band operation and decent speeds.
Just in time for the start of the AFL season, Internode announced Friday it will provide free, round-the-clock Wi-Fi throughout the MCG stadium, under a three-year deal with the Melbourne Cricket Club.
Priced at just $39.95, TP-Link's TL-WR340G 54M Wireless Router is hard to pass up. It has a four-port 10/100 Ethernet switch and an 802.11g wireless access point, and it will do a respectable job of distributing your Internet connection to all the computers and other networked devices in your home.
SonicWall's unified threat management gear has embraced 802.11n wireless networks via a software upgrade and a new wireless controller under its Clean Wireless architecture, which scans for malicious traffic as it enters business networks from mobile devices.
Along with a refresh of its desktop line, Apple Tuesday also updated its AirPort Extreme wireless base station and the Time Capsule wireless backup device.
Alaska Airlines is the latest carrier to launch in-flight Wi-Fi, offering passengers on a specially equipped Boeing 737 a service that uses satellites instead of cellular towers to connect the plane to the Internet.
Australian ISP iiNet has teamed up with Starbucks to offer its customers free Wi-Fi access at a selection of the coffee chain's stores.
Edimax is a brand that isn’t yet well established in Australia, but it’s one of the most popular router manufacturers in Asia under its own name and others. If the Edimax Wireless 802.11n ADSL2/2+ Modem Router (AR-7265WnA) is any indication, the company’s products are sure to do well here, too.
Nortel Networks is dropping out of the mobile WiMax business entirely and will end an agreement with Israeli-company Alvarion to resell Alvarion mobile Wimax gear.
The Russian security company that caused a stir some months by talking up its cracking tool for recovering Wi-Fi encryption keys, has started selling its software to all-comers in a specially packaged product.
The value of capturing and analyzing network traffic is well established. After all, the generic "sniffer" has been a fixture of networking since the days of "datascopes" on RS-232 connections. Wireless links introduce a number of complicating elements to this process, however -- Wi-Fi protocols are unique at Layer 2, and traffic over the air isn't serialized, as is the case with wire. Simultaneous, competing traffic is often the norm.
The president of Belkin has disavowed the actions of an employee who apparently offered to pay for positive user reviews of the company's products-and for marking negative reviews as "unhelpful."
The Mumbai, India, police have launched their previously announced plan to secure Wi-Fi networks. A team of police is using a battery of devices to systematically identify and eliminate unsecured Wi-Fi networks in the wake of last year's attacks, where terrorists used the Internet and other communications networks.
The growth of 802.11n wireless LAN access points has been somewhat limited by a well-known problem with insufficient power to APs when using Power-over-Ethernet connections.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- WiGig fast wireless may change Wi-Fi, home networks
- Internode kicks off free Wi-Fi at MCG
- SonicWall security devices embrace 802.11n
- Apple adds guest networking to Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme
- Alaska becomes latest airline with Wi-Fi
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSenior Analyst, Applications - GDWVIC
- CCWindows Server EngineerNSW
- CCRemedy AdministratorNSW
- CCFront End DeveloperWA
- FTSQL DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - ICT SecurityNSW
- CCTest Analyst - Contact Centre TechnologiesVIC
- CCDigital Producer (Part Time 3 Days Per Week)NSW
- CCHyperion ConsultantNSW
- CCBusiness Data AnalystVIC
- CC.NET Developer (Application production Support)NSW
- CCInfrastructure Assurance OfficerACT
- CCAccount Manager - Software Solutions - Global IT CompanyNSW
- CCIT Network SpecialistVIC
- CCSenior Financial Crime AnalystVIC
- CCSql Server Database Administrator (SAP)QLD
- CCSenior Oracle DBA- Part time 20 hoursWA
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCApplication Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer (JAVA/Windows Programming) 160428/AP/143Asia
- CCSenior AGILE Business AnalystNSW
- FTProduct Owner - MarketingNSW
- CCWebOps EngineerVIC
- CCChange Lead/Senior Change Analyst - Transformation projectNSW