Intel released its latest-generation Centrino platform yesterday -- Centrino 2, which is also known by its codename 'Montevina'. There is a big push for high-definition content with the new platform, which Intel says will decode Blu-ray movies better than the Santa Rosa platform (the previous-generation Centrino platform) and also last longer while not plugged in to an outlet. Nearly all notebook vendors were present at the launch today, but Dell and Apple were conspicuously absent.
Digital Home Advisor
Soulcalibur IV, despite the name, is the fifth game in the Soulcalibur arcade fighting series. As one of 36 characters - including Yoda and Darth Vader -- players once again step into the arena to do battle against each other. It will feature revamped graphics, several new characters, and Force-based abilities for Star Wars characters. Competitive online play is a first for the series, and is simply one of many improvements made to the franchise. The game is currently slated for release at the end of the month for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.
The newest instalment in the popular Final Fantasy franchise, Final Fantasy XIII, is slowly taking form. Little is known about the game's storyline at present, but the game follows the same vein as its predecessors: an RPG with brilliant graphics and an immersive plot. Square Enix announced at E3 this year that the game will be released on both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, though no date has yet been set.
Today at E3 Microsoft announced a revamped dashboard for the Xbox 360, replacing that one the console shipped with. In the same vein as its competitor, the Nintendo Wii, the new dashboard will use a channel system to browse content. The interface will also integrate avatars, the Xbox 360's version of the Wii's Miis. The avatars, designed by Rare Interactive, will be able to socialise with other Xbox Live members and help create a player identity. No release date is yet known for the Xbox 360 update.
The console mascot everyone loves, Mario, is heading to yet another sports arena in an effort to draw the kiddies away from their Xbox 360s and PlayStation 3s. Mario Super Sluggers sees Mario and the gang head to the baseball field in yet another sports-related character-based game reminiscent of Mario Strikers Charged. Forty two characters slug it out on nine different fields as they battle to see who the best baseball player is. The game was released on the Wii in Japan last month, and is expected to have a local release later this year.
On gaming's biggest stage, these eight figures fell on their faces.
Linux fans long awaiting a mobile phone that runs the open source operating system can finally rejoice!
We managed to get our hands on the all-new iPhone 3G from Apple
Motorola has continued to extend the life of its iconic RAZR handset, this time teaming up with Italian sports car manufacturer Ferrari to produce the RAZR2 V9 Ferrari Special Edition. Check out our slideshow of this new beast!
While we're enduring winter, over in the US summer is just kicking into gear. And nothing says summer more than a bunch of awesome gear and toys. GamePro (US) went out and rounded up some amazing tech that's sure to help you maximise your time in the sun. Once we finally get some Down Under! So grab your lawn chairs and your sunscreen as we unveil GamePro's Summer Vacation Gear Guide for 2008.
Summary: Gamepro polled its editorial team, scoured the internet, and given special attention to original efforts to develop the following list of 25 games, all of which has us giddy with the prospects. So with exception to unknown announcements, you can confidently count on these babies to be shown this year... and hopefully playable.
A set of new screenshots have just been released of Starcraft 2, showcasing intricate character and model detail, as well as the vast environments on which players will be battling. Check out scenes of Terran armies, Protoss cities and Zerg hordes in our latest slideshow!
Gearbox software returns to World War II with Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway. The third iteration in the popular squad-based, third-person shooter sees players once again take the role of Matt Baker as he takes part in the pivotal Operation Market Garden. The new game will improve on the series' past strengths, incorporating new AI and revitalised squad-based tactics. Built using the Unreal 3 engine, Hell's Highway will introduce a new look to the battlefield. The game is due to be released on the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC in August.
Field Day lets ham radio operators prep for disaster.
Rockstar San Diego allows gamers to return to the streets in the fourth instalment in the Midnight Club video game franchise with Midnight Club: Los Angeles. As the name suggests, the fourth iteration of the popular street racing series will take place in LA. Players have the ability to roam the streets of LA freely and participate in street races. The game uses the RAGE game engine, the same as Rockstar's other success, Grand Theft Auto IV, so expect an intense experience. The game is set to hit PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in October.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- EC says LCD screen cartel is active globally
- Sharp to increase LCD panel production on higher demand
- Dick Smith report says Australians keen to switch to digital radio
- Samsung, Numonyx to develop PCM specifications
- Faster SD cards could reach devices next year
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCContract Analyst/Programmer II (Drupal 7.39/PHP) 160427/CAP/vccAsia
- FTTechnical Lead (Guidewire Policy Center)NSW
- CCSiebel AnalystACT
- CCFront End DeveloperVIC
- FTSupport AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Project Manager - Payroll IntegrationVIC
- CCFront End DeveloperWA
- CCSharepoint DeveloperVIC
- CCAnalyst Programmer (Lotus Notes/Networking) 160504/AP/781Asia
- CCIT Program Delivery Office Lead- Government BackgroundNSW
- FTManager; Enterprise ArchitectureNSW
- CCOnline Shop Operations Consultant (eCommerce)VIC
- FTDesktop SupportNSW
- FTProduct Owner - MarketingNSW
- FTITSM Head of Service Desk & SwitchboardACT
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Prince2 & PMBoK shop | Huge project pipelineACT
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/HTML/SQL) 160421/P/903Asia
- CCBPM ConsultantVIC
- CCSolution ArchitectACT
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCContract Contract Junior Programmer (JUD-16493-4)Asia
- CCApplication Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- FTMs Dynamics Nav Support Analyst- Level 1/2WA